Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2009 NCAA Tournament Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=71323)

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 1975977)
You are really grasping for straws here. Memphis demolished a team from the ACC. Your argument is that North Carolina and Duke really have not played anyone in the first two rounds, but because they played in the ACC they are battle tested.

:confused:

There's no question that the rest of the teams outside of Xavier and Memphis are much more battle tested due to the league strength. Xavier and Memphis are the best teams in the best second-tier conferences. But the competition isn't there in comparison. Gonzaga is probably the biggest non-con win and they're in the same boat as Xavier and Memphis in regards to being the best team in a second-tier conference.

Just to show the vast difference in conference strength........

Quote:

Conference USA

Two teams in the top 50 of the RPI
Five teams in the top 100 of the RPI
Seven teams with a RPI greater than 150

Big 12

Six teams in the top 50 of the RPI
Nine teams in the top 100 of the RPI
Two teams with a RPI greater than 150

Conference USA is a nice NCAA tourney warmup cruise for Memphis and that's just the way Coach Calipari likes it. He gets an inflated record, makes millions, and the alumni are happy. I can't say I blame him. It's a sweet gig.

GoldenEagle 03-24-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1976417)
The Cal loss was an unfortunate one. With their outside shooting, they definitely had a much better opportunity to beat Memphis as I mentioned before that game when I said Memphis should root for Maryland to win.

Memphis is a good team and Calipari has been playing the 'no one respects us' card in the meetings and pep talks. It almost resulted in a first round loss, but hopefully for Memphis, they've learned from that situation. The key will obviously be Mizzou's defense by Tiller and Taylor. If they rattle Evans early, Memphis is in big trouble. If Evans only gives up 1-2 turnovers, it's good for Memphis.

For Mizzou, if Lawrence or English gets hot, it's going to be a rough night for Memphis.

What are you basing your fact on that Memphis can not defend the 3 point shot? Ken Pomerory says that Memphis has the #1 defensive efficiency in college basketball. Pete Gillen stated that this is the best defense he has seen in college basketball in 20 years. Are you really basing your opinion of the Memphis defense on one game?

Why would it matter if Evans was rattled? The PG is just one piece of beating the press. If Cal thinks Evans can't handle it, he will just have Anderson bring the ball up. Look up the turnover numbers on him.

Obviously, if any player gets hot, any team can be in trouble. But Memphis is capable of locking opponents down for long stretches at a time. We also rarely play zone, so don't expect much space to get those 3's off.

GoldenEagle 03-24-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1976422)
There's no question that the rest of the teams outside of Xavier and Memphis are much more battle tested due to the league strength. Xavier and Memphis are the best teams in the best second-tier conferences. But the competition isn't there in comparison. Gonzaga is probably the biggest non-con win and they're in the same boat as Xavier and Memphis in regards to being the best team in a second-tier conference.

Just to show the vast difference in conference strength........

Conference USA is a nice NCAA tourney warmup cruise for Memphis and that's just the way Coach Calipari likes it. He gets an inflated record, makes millions, and the alumni are happy. I can't say I blame him. It's a sweet gig.

I am not sure what Gonzaga's conference has anything to do with Memphis. Did you watch that game? Memphis was up by 26 at one point in the 2nd half.

Have you being paying attention to college basketball in the last four years? Who cares if Memphis plays in CUSA? Do you really think it has effected them? They have been to four straight Sweet Sixteens (only program in the country to do that), three straight Elite Eights, and an appearance in the national championship game. Of course alumni are going to be happy and are going to give Cal a raise.

Conversly, what has Missouri done? They would have loved to have hired Cal back when they settled for Anderson. Missouri is half the program that Memphis is right now. The numbers do not lie.

Speaking of really challenging yourself as a team, look at that out of conference schedule Missouri played. That is some sort of difficulty right there.

Neuqua 03-24-2009 12:21 PM

This is almost as fun as the tournament itself!

:)

CleBrownsfan 03-24-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 1976571)

Obviously, if any player gets hot, any team can be in trouble. But Memphis is capable of locking opponents down for long stretches at a time. We also rarely play zone, so don't expect much space to get those 3's off.

You play for Memphis :eek:

wade moore 03-24-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuqua (Post 1976579)
This is more fun as the tournament itself!

:)

fixed.

sterlingice 03-24-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan (Post 1976586)
You play for Memphis :eek:

See- with colleges, especially if you're an alumnus, I think it's ok to use the collective pronoun since you are using the term, say, Memphis Tigers. You are part of Memphis if you went there. No one is under any illusion that GE plays for the Tigers.

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 1976575)
What are you basing your fact on that Memphis can not defend the 3 point shot? Ken Pomerory says that Memphis has the #1 defensive efficiency in college basketball. Pete Gillen stated that this is the best defense he has seen in college basketball in 20 years. Are you really basing your opinion of the Memphis defense on one game?

Why would it matter if Evans was rattled? The PG is just one piece of beating the press. If Cal thinks Evans can't handle it, he will just have Anderson bring the ball up. Look up the turnover numbers on him.

I am not sure what Gonzaga's conference has anything to do with Memphis. Did you watch that game? Memphis was up by 26 at one point in the 2nd half.

Have you being paying attention to college basketball in the last four years? Who cares if Memphis plays in CUSA? Do you really think it has effected them? They have been to four straight Sweet Sixteens (only program in the country to do that), three straight Elite Eights, and an appearance in the national championship game. Of course alumni are going to be happy and are going to give Cal a raise.

Conversly, what has Missouri done? They would have loved to have hired Cal back when they settled for Anderson. Missouri is half the program that Memphis is right now. The numbers do not lie.

Speaking of really challenging yourself as a team, look at that out of conference schedule Missouri played. That is some sort of difficulty right there.

Memphis has a nice defensive team. There's no question about that. You'll pardon my laughter when Pete Gillen becomes the oracle on defense. From your description of Memphis, it sounds like a national championship is a given and we shouldn't bother playing the game. Best defense? No turnovers? No way to get 3's off? How can Mizzou or any team beat them? :eek:

Memphis is a good program in a terrible conference, which allows them to achieve an inflated win total and get a 1 or 2 seed, which allows for two easy matchups each and every year. In addition, you only have to play one tough program to reach the Elite Eight. That's why you have a string of 4 consecutive Sweet Sixteen appearances and 3 Elite Eights. It's a product of the system. Don't get so defensive about the lousy conference Memphis is in. That conference allows Memphis to have success that wouldn't be attainable if they were in a power conference with tough competition.

I can say with great certainty that I would rather have Anderson over Calipari even now. Even when the Mizzou job was open, I did not want Calipari as the coach. I've heard far too much about him and his dealings with AAU coaches. He's a 'win at all costs' guy and I'm not a big fan of that. But he's definitely found a good home in Memphis.

Logan 03-24-2009 12:57 PM

This Missouri conversation just seems so familiar. It's like we had something similar about 6 months ago.

Dr. Sak 03-24-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1976596)
This Missouri conversation just seems so familiar. It's like we had something similar about 6 months ago.

Yeah during football season if I recall correctly...

Logan 03-24-2009 01:01 PM

Any Vegas trips coming up MBBF?

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 1976598)
Yeah during football season if I recall correctly...

It's difficult being only one of four schools in the nation to be in the top 25 at season's end in both basketball and football, but somehow we manage to get through it all.

Passacaglia 03-24-2009 01:02 PM

I just hope these guys get this resolved soon, they seem pretty far apart right now. The game is Thursday, right? So they only have two days to figure out who is going to win!

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1976600)
Any Vegas trips coming up MBBF?

I wish I was going this weekend. Probably will go in April. Got some free flights to burn.

GoldenEagle 03-24-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1976595)
Memphis has a nice defensive team. There's no question about that. You'll pardon my laughter when Pete Gillen becomes the oracle on defense. From your description of Memphis, it sounds like a national championship is a given and we shouldn't bother playing the game. Best defense? No turnovers? No way to get 3's off? How can Mizzou or any team beat them? :eek:

I would say that Pete Gillen has accomplished much more on the college basketball scene than you have. I am just using relevant statistic data to backup my claim. That is much more than you are doing.

Quote:

Memphis is a good program in a terrible conference, which allows them to achieve an inflated win total and get a 1 or 2 seed, which allows for two easy matchups each and every year. In addition, you only have to play one tough program to reach the Elite Eight. That's why you have a string of 4 consecutive Sweet Sixteen appearances and 3 Elite Eights. It's a product of the system. Don't get so defensive about the lousy conference Memphis is in. That conference allows Memphis to have success that wouldn't be attainable if they were in a power conference with tough competition.

Except Memphis actually steps out of its conference and beats teams that are worth a damn. Unlike Mizzou, who has played the likes of Lincoln (MO - that is bad if I have to clarify that), Missouri Southern, Prairie View A&M, Oral Roberts, Arkansas Pine-Bluff, Murray State, Stetson, SIU-Edwardsville, Centenary College, and that powerhouse Copin State.

Quote:

I can say with great certainty that I would rather have Anderson over Calipari even now. Even when the Mizzou job was open, I did not want Calipari as the coach. I've heard far too much about him and his dealings with AAU coaches. He's a 'win at all costs' guy and I'm not a big fan of that. But he's definitely found a good home in Memphis.

Prove it.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passacaglia (Post 1976602)
I just hope these guys get this resolved soon, they seem pretty far apart right now. The game is Thursday, right? So they only have two days to figure out who is going to win!

Obviously, it's Memphis.

Dr. Sak 03-24-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1976601)
It's difficult being only one of four schools in the nation to be in the top 25 at season's end in both basketball and football, but somehow we manage to get through it all.

I have been out of the loop but did Chase Daniel grow that extra 2 inches you said he would by the end of his Tigers' career?

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenEagle (Post 1976605)
I would say that Pete Gillen has accomplished much more on the college basketball scene than you have. I am just using relevant statistic data to backup my claim. That is much more than you are doing.

Except Memphis actually steps out of its conference and beats teams that are worth a damn. Unlike Mizzou, who has played the likes of Lincoln (MO - that is bad if I have to clarify that), Missouri Southern, Prairie View A&M, Oral Roberts, Arkansas Pine-Bluff, Murray State, Stetson, SIU-Edwardsville, Centenary College, and that powerhouse Copin State.

Prove it.

Pete Gillen: The Memphis advocate.

You may be new to this whole scheduling thing, but when your conference actually has legitimate Division I competition in it, you don't have to schedule a strong team for every non-conference game. Also, you conviniently left out every good team that we played in the non-conference season. Seems silly given that I didn't do that when discussing Memphis.

Coach Cal does things his way whether you put on the rose colored glasses or not. I know Memphis fans would like to think that Coach Cal's shit don't stink, but that's simply not the case. As long as he doesn't get caught, it's not an issue.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 1976608)
I have been out of the loop but did Chase Daniel grow that extra 2 inches you said he would by the end of his Tigers' career?

It's not relevant to this thread, but yes he did. He was measured at the the NFL combine at 6'0".

Dr. Sak 03-24-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1976614)
It's not relevant to this thread, but yes he did. He was measured at the the NFL combine at 6'0".

And that's what he was listed at on the Missouri site...it has no relevance but to point out you are FOS.

sterlingice 03-24-2009 01:24 PM

I must once again give Radii credit :D

SI

larrymcg421 03-24-2009 01:37 PM

I usually root for close games, but I'm hoping this one is a blow out either way, because I can't wait to see the dustup that follows.

Dr. Sak 03-24-2009 01:39 PM

I think they should have a sig bet!

Logan 03-24-2009 01:39 PM

My impartial eyes tell me that Memphis has been the second most impressive team in this tournament, behind only UConn.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 1976624)
And that's what he was listed at on the Missouri site...it has no relevance but to point out you are FOS.

He was 5'10" when he got to Mizzou. He's now 6'0". What are you talking about?

duckman 03-24-2009 01:49 PM

Please let Memphis beat Mizzou! God, are you listening?

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman (Post 1976644)

That's right. Keep jinxing the other team.

God is a Mizzou fan.

panerd 03-24-2009 01:52 PM

A Mizzou fan here who repsects MBBF's loyalty to the team but is also embarassed by the sludge he throws out at other teams in the same situation. It's not like we are playing Duke or UNC, both of our schools don't get anywhere near the publicity they deserve for their 30 win seasons in basketball.

I obviously hope for a Mizzou blowout win but respect Memphis, hell maybe even will cheer for Memphis if we lose, because they seem the most like Mizzou all of the teams left in the tournament.

Remember not all Mizzou fans are alike. So please don't cheer against us just like you probably don't choose a particular gaming console. :)

panerd 03-24-2009 01:53 PM

Obviously I have nothing but hatred for KU though. :)

Passacaglia 03-24-2009 01:53 PM

Take your pick:

Are You There God? It's Me, Mizzou.

Are You There God? It's Me, Memphis.

Dr. Sak 03-24-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1976640)
He was 5'10" when he got to Mizzou. He's now 6'0". What are you talking about?

I guess I was mistaken by going by the actual roster which listed him at 6-1 as a Freshman.

Scout.com: 2005 Missouri Roster

DataKing 03-24-2009 01:54 PM

Some of us have our own reasons for rooting against Mizzou. :D

duckman 03-24-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1976646)
That's right. Keep jinxing the other team.

God is a Mizzou fan.

If God was a Mizzou fan, why did He let this happen?

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panerd (Post 1976647)
A Mizzou fan here who repsects MBBF's loyalty to the team but is also embarassed by the sludge he throws out at other teams in the same situation. It's not like we are playing Duke or UNC, both of our schools don't get anywhere near the publicity they deserve for their 30 win seasons in basketball.

I obviously hope for a Mizzou blowout win but respect Memphis, hell maybe even will cheer for Memphis if we lose, because they seem the most like Mizzou all of the teams left in the tournament.

Remember not all Mizzou fans are alike. So please don't cheer against us just like you probably don't choose a particular gaming console. :)

Panerd is a Mizzou fan from St. Louis. Don't hold it against him. At least he's loyal to Mizzou. :)

cartman 03-24-2009 01:57 PM

And still this is the guy that has led Mizzou basketball to their greatest tourney success:

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman (Post 1976652)
If God was a Mizzou fan, why did He let this happen?

We always hurt the ones we love.

duckman 03-24-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1976656)
And still this is the guy that has led Mizzou basketball to their greatest tourney success:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!111!

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1976656)

That's incorrect, but don't let that stop you. Norm Stewart went to more Elite Eights than Quin did.

Listen, our AD decided to hire an assistant coach from the ACC thinking that people in that conference actually know how to coach basketball. What we found out was that he knew little more than how to sleep with people other than his wife and how to snort a line of cocaine in five seconds or less.

Lesson learned.

MizzouRah 03-24-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckman (Post 1976644)

FO duckman

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 1976650)
I guess I was mistaken by going by the actual roster which listed him at 6-1 as a Freshman.

Scout.com: 2005 Missouri Roster

All we heard for 4 years was whether Daniel would get to 6 foot tall by his senior year. Why would they be asking that if he was 6'1" the whole time?

Regardless, this is a basketball thread. PM me if you're interested in discussing it further.

cartman 03-24-2009 02:05 PM

So Stewart took Mizzou to 2 Elite 8s in 32 years, and Snyder took them to one Elite 8 in 7 years, with neither coach advancing past that point. Nice tradition you got there.

DataKing 03-24-2009 02:06 PM

Ray Liotta coached Mizzou basketball?

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1976663)
So Stewart took Mizzou to 2 Elite 8s in 32 years, and Snyder took them to one Elite 8 in 7 years, with neither coach advancing past that point. Nice tradition you got there.

So which trophy did Oklahoma basketball win this year? Regular season or Tournament Championship? I'm trying to remember.........

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DataKing (Post 1976665)
Ray Liotta coached Mizzou basketball?

Probably would have been a better choice.

MizzouRah 03-24-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1976667)
So which trophy did Oklahoma basketball win this year? Regular season or Tournament Championship? I'm trying to remember.........

I thought Cartman was a Texas guy?

cartman 03-24-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 1976671)
I thought Cartman was a Texas guy?

Yeah, I'm a Texas guy. A fan of a team that has made the Elite 8 three times in the past seven years, with one of those trips moving on to the Final Four.

But we all know that MBBF likes to try and divert the story from places where he can't defend his position, so it is not surprising that he failed at trying to do so.

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1976672)
Yeah, I'm a Texas guy. A fan of a team that has made the Elite 8 three times in the past seven years, with one of those trips moving on to the Final Four.

But we all know that MBBF like to try and divert the story from places where he can't defend his position, so it is not surprising that he failed at trying to do so.

So which trophy did Texas basketball win this year? Regular season or Tournament Championship? I'm trying to remember.........

Texas didn't have that bad of a year. Everybody loses to Kansas State and Missouri on their own court, right?

Diverting would be talking about tournaments previous to 2009 in a 2009 tournament thread.

cartman 03-24-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1976674)
So which trophy did Texas basketball win this year? Regular season or Tournament Championship? I'm trying to remember.........

Texas didn't have that bad of a year. Everybody loses to Kansas State and Missouri on their own court, right?

Diverting would be talking about tournaments previous to 2009 in a 2009 tournament thread.

Go ahead, focus on this season. It is all you've got. Congrats on equaling the Big 12 Conference tourney accomplishments of Iowa State with your win. At least we didn't lose by 25 on the road to Kansas.

sterlingice 03-24-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1976667)

You know it's bad when he's using us as a justification for his point ;)

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan 03-24-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 1976676)
Go ahead, focus on this season. It is all you've got. Congrats on equaling the Big 12 Conference tourney accomplishments of Iowa State with your win. At least we didn't lose by 25 on the road to Kansas.

You're right. It's always better to go 9-7 and not get blown out at Kansas than to go 1-1 against them and win 12 games.

Enjoy the fact that you have the lowest 8 years of Mizzou Basketball to taunt right now. It'll be a long time before you get that chance again.