Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   American Idol 2008 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=63788)

Arles 04-02-2008 11:07 PM

Atleast Ramiele got a faceful of Kristy Lee for a good 20 seconds. That's a nice parting gift if you ask me. Oh, and Dolly was pretty dreadful. Thank Jesus for having about 15 backup singers in that choir to drown her out most of the song.

korme 04-02-2008 11:11 PM

Hottest chick just left the show. Thanks, asswhite

Ksyrup 04-03-2008 07:24 AM

I'm definitely on the "cute" side of the fence when it comes to pretty, petite Asian chicks. I don't see anything hot about Ramiele at all. She looks and acts like a 15 year old.

Thankfully, I only listened to about 30 seconds of Dolly - I was listening to some MP3s and just didn't want to hear a country song. I didn't realize she can't sing anymore. Wow. That was pretty awful.

rkmsuf 04-03-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 1698220)
Atleast Ramiele got a faceful of Kristy Lee for a good 20 seconds. That's a nice parting gift if you ask me. Oh, and Dolly was pretty dreadful. Thank Jesus for having about 15 backup singers in that choir to drown her out most of the song.

that was quite erotic. I was hoping they'd make out.

Ksyrup 04-03-2008 07:37 AM

Did you guys see Castro during the group sing? Not only was his vocal pretty weak, but that dance thing he did was bizarre as hell. I swear, I think someone off stage is controlling his arms and legs. It's one thing to be shy and awkward socially, but he acts like he's never moved in public before.

And Archuleta keeps proving he has no idea how to sing a song with tempo. He couldn't pull off his solo without sounding strange/awkward, either. And of course, Ramiele missed her cue on the first line, which was not surprising.

And WTF with It's Tricky!

Draft Dodger 04-03-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 1698220)
Atleast Ramiele got a faceful of Kristy Lee for a good 20 seconds. That's a nice parting gift if you ask me.

my wife immediately turned to me and asked if I wanted to rewind it so that I could enjoy it again.

so, am I the only one who thinks Castro looks and sounds annoyingly like John Travolta when he's signing?

Ksyrup 04-03-2008 08:08 AM

Someone made that comment about his performance on Tuesday. I can honestly say I have no recollection of Travolta singing. I know I've heard him in Grease, but that was a long time ago.

RedKingGold 04-03-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty3281 (Post 1698228)
Hottest chick just left the show. Thanks, asswhite

You could just console yourself with a tranny prostitute. Close enough, right?

:p

lordscarlet 04-03-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1698321)
I'm definitely on the "cute" side of the fence when it comes to pretty, petite Asian chicks. I don't see anything hot about Ramiele at all. She looks and acts like a 15 year old.

+1

Swaggs 04-03-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1698325)
Did you guys see Castro during the group sing? Not only was his vocal pretty weak, but that dance thing he did was bizarre as hell. I swear, I think someone off stage is controlling his arms and legs. It's one thing to be shy and awkward socially, but he acts like he's never moved in public before.

I kind of go back and forth on Castro, wondering if he is a complete poser or if he really may be a stoner (or a third option--that is he is just stone, cold dumb). For the first few weeks, I thought he was a total poser, but after hearing him interviewed a few times, I'm leaning towards stoner or idiot.

Draft Dodger 04-03-2008 10:26 AM

stoner, for sure.

Kodos 04-03-2008 10:37 AM

We can put a man on the moon but we can't boot Castro off of this show?!?

rjolley 04-03-2008 10:43 AM

I say stoner, the wife says stone cold dumb.

We all know who's right in that disagreement.

Mustang 04-03-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Dodger (Post 1698338)
so, am I the only one who thinks Castro looks and sounds annoyingly like John Travolta when he's signing?

We've made those comments here at work. I'm expecting at any time for him to bust out into a Vinnie Barbarino - 'What? Where?'

Ksyrup 04-03-2008 01:24 PM

I can't remember if I posted the original news about this here or not, but if I did, it's now off:

In a Wednesday conference call with reporters, American Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe offered updates on this year’s “Idol Gives Back” fundraising effort, to air Wednesday, April 9. For starters, Lythgoe cleared the air on talk that Mariah Carey would perform a duet with the late Marvin Gaye, a la Celine Dion and Elvis Presley a year ago. “Unfortunately, it’s not [happening],” he shared. “We couldn’t get the rights to music with Marvin, so we had to cancel it.” (Chalk up one unsettling/eerie bullet dodged.)

Ksyrup 04-03-2008 01:26 PM

Also, Nigel seems to have backed away from doing the "add a person to the tour" contest that was originally planned.

Rizon 04-03-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1698661)
Also, Nigel seems to have backed away from doing the "add a person to the tour" contest that was originally planned.

Nobody worth adding to the tour, plus Paula is available.

Ksyrup 04-04-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedKingGold (Post 1698410)
You could just console yourself with a tranny prostitute. Close enough, right?

:p

"Ramiele plans to move in with her bud Danny Noriega. If show business doesn’t work out, she plans on going to nursing school."

saldana 04-04-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1698325)

everytime i see him with that goofy ass grin on his face and those ridiculous dreads, all i can think of is Janice from The Muppet Show (the chick from Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem)

RedKingGold 04-04-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1699507)
"Ramiele plans to move in with her bud Danny Noriega. If show business doesn’t work out, she plans on going to nursing school."

Hey, two for the price of one. Heck, they really only need one closet.

saldana 04-04-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedKingGold (Post 1699647)
Hey, two for the price of one. Heck, they really only need one closet.

there are so many jokes available with this as the setup.....

zums 04-08-2008 09:08 PM

no comments on tonights show? wierd...

here is mine: david cook is messed up. sounded very odd from the first note and was a complete 180 from his usual smiling cocky self.

maybe his brother has gotten even worse?

MJ4H 04-08-2008 09:15 PM

OK I'll bite.

1. Jason Castro
2. Brooke White
3. David Archuleta
4. Kristy Lee Cook
5. David Cook
6. Carly Smithson
7. Michael Johns
8. Syesha Mercado

Did I miss anyone? Might edit with comments in a bit. Watching Hell's Kitchen DVR right now.

Solecismic 04-08-2008 10:20 PM

This week's Football Frontier recap of American Idol is posted.

http://www.solecismic.com/frontierblog/?p=244

Overall: It was the revenge of the over-practiced, indulgent theme songs of youth who have yet to learn how to perform. Wannabe Week featured far too many unnecessary trills and not enough seasoned interpretations. A surprising leader and a surprising seventh-place from a favorite.

Arles 04-08-2008 10:40 PM

I have to agree with Jim on the winner:

1. Kristy Lee Cook - She could actually have a career in country with some handling. Color me a little shocked. Very nice performance.
2. Michael Johns - very good job with a tough song. Enjoyed his performance.
3. David A - I think having him not look head on is good for him. We don't see that brooding face all performance. Still, one of his better songs. He's becoming a Richard Marx-lite.
4. Jason - Back to a charming performance. But, I still don't really get this guy.
5. Brooke - Safe and pleasant. Enough to keep her on the show, but boring.
6. David C - Got too full of himself and tried to do a song that's really not right for this show. Maybe he's doing his "Daughtry" mail in now.
7. Carly - Angry Irish woman yelling a Queen song at us on Charity week. Broke the flow of the show and needs to dial down her intensity a bit - esp on a week with ukulele rainbows and Sweet Baby James songs.
8. Syesha - The exact opposite of KLC - she sang an emotional song like a robot. The "not-quite-Whitney" schtick is getting tired.

Danny 04-09-2008 04:24 AM

Jason and Michael were my favorite of the night. Our Lady Peace has always been one of my favorite bands and it's too bad Cook didn't do a better performance with that.

Mota 04-09-2008 06:25 AM

Sometimes Carly scares me. She has a decent voice, but when she sings her high notes it looks like she's channeling them from hell or something. She gets this really ugly triangular face, and it's almost as though she pulls herself out of the song to get the high notes and then jumps back into the songs. She just can't insert them smoothly into the performance, therefore they feel too forced and out of place.

Draft Dodger 04-09-2008 07:01 AM

Carly scares me too...mostly because she looks a LOT like an ex-girlfriend.

Thomkal 04-09-2008 07:29 AM

I think Syesha goes tonight, she loves the divas but just doesn't have the voice to match them. When are Idol contestants gonna learn never to sing a song that a previous Idol has released? There are always going to be comparisions, and usually not good ones.

May be some shockers in the bottom 3 this week with Michael Johns and David Cook stumbling. Don't see Brooke there though Jim much less going home. Carly could be in danger though which would be a disappointment if she went home this early.

cuervo72 04-09-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Football Frontier
1. Kristy Lee Cook. Yes, I really typed her name first tonight. Go figure. All season long, she’s been a solid bottom-tier performer. The audience doesn’t much like her, either. She’s been standing next to the eventual evictee at the end of the show so much lately that Ryan Seacrest can’t even get a reaction out of her any more. If this were Star Trek instead of American Idol, her shirt would be a ruddy orange from all that contact with red-shirted neophytes.

I pictured her more like this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/atomics...in/set-144263/

Draft Dodger 04-09-2008 08:25 AM

am I the only one who felt sorry for Paula's breasts? those poor things seemed like they were in a great deal of pain last night.

cuervo72 04-09-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Dodger (Post 1701922)
am I the only one who felt sorry for Paula's breasts? those poor things seemed like they were in a great deal of pain last night.

I really thought it was the episode where they would finally get off the island.

wade moore 04-09-2008 08:41 AM

I still like Castro. I would still probably buy his CD. I still don't think he's a good fit for this show.

wade moore 04-09-2008 08:42 AM

On Carly - Am I reading too much into her outfit? It seemed like at least a slight nod to Freddy Mercury to me?

Draft Dodger 04-09-2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore (Post 1701940)
On Carly - Am I reading too much into her outfit? It seemed like at least a slight nod to Freddy Mercury to me?

absolutely a nod, IMO

wade moore 04-09-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Dodger (Post 1701948)
absolutely a nod, IMO

Ok. It was very clever IMO and I was disappointed that it wasn't mentioned since I imagine much of the viewing audience missed it.

IrishHand 04-09-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore (Post 1701937)
I still like Castro. I would still probably buy his CD. I still don't think he's a good fit for this show.

Here I thought I was the only one. I agree that he's toast in the near future, but he's the only one on the show who's initial CD I am all-but-certain to purchase. I really do enjoy his style and voice. *shrug*

Drake 04-09-2008 10:55 AM

I'm not shocked that there wasn't a ton of comment last night during the show. It was "okay" television, but almost completely forgettable. Or maybe even almost instantly forgettable.

Toddzilla 04-09-2008 11:03 AM

I thought Castro's version was pretty neat last night, knowing it was a rip-off. I pulled up the original version of the ukulele version and listened to it this morning, and thinking back now I hate Castro's version. Holy god, he butchered that song. He needs to go yesterday.

Mustang 04-09-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 1702054)
I'm not shocked that there wasn't a ton of comment last night during the show. It was "okay" television, but almost completely forgettable. Or maybe even almost instantly forgettable.

I can't stand David A because he pretty much does this 'inspirational' crap every week so, joy of all joys.. I get everyone singing this crap.

Drake 04-09-2008 11:41 AM

I hate inspirational.

Kodos 04-09-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddzilla (Post 1702067)
I thought Castro's version was pretty neat last night, knowing it was a rip-off. I pulled up the original version of the ukulele version and listened to it this morning, and thinking back now I hate Castro's version. Holy god, he butchered that song. He needs to go yesterday.

Iz's version is much better.

korme 04-09-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishHand (Post 1702006)
Here I thought I was the only one. I agree that he's toast in the near future, but he's the only one on the show who's initial CD I am all-but-certain to purchase. I really do enjoy his style and voice. *shrug*

That Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version was the perfect fit for his voice though.

rowech 04-09-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddzilla (Post 1702067)

Yes. Anybody who hadn't heard that version would have thought how novel his performance was but anybody who had heard that version, like myself, would have thought it was horrible. He did a terrible job with it.

MJ4H 04-09-2008 04:28 PM

sigh

Eaglesfan27 04-09-2008 04:35 PM

Dialidol results are very interesting and in line with my bottom 3 last night (as well as my top 3.) That was David Cook's worst performance by a huge margin I thought and I agree with the comments that Carly seemed angry.

Edit: I also thought Carly's comment that she lost it because of the way Simon was looking at her was one of the lamest things a contestant has ever said.

saldana 04-09-2008 04:46 PM

my prediction for the last two tonight are carly and syesha, although i honestly think brooke should be gone (a long time ago) that was such a boring as performance last night and again demonstrated that she has zero range.

Eaglesfan27 04-09-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldana (Post 1702518)
my prediction for the last two tonight are carly and syesha, although i honestly think brooke should be gone (a long time ago) that was such a boring as performance last night and again demonstrated that she has zero range.

No results show until Thursday. Tonight, it is 2:30 hours of Idol Gives back. At least they got more celebrities this time.

Vince 04-09-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore (Post 1701957)
Ok. It was very clever IMO and I was disappointed that it wasn't mentioned since I imagine much of the viewing audience missed it.

My dad was ripping her outfit right away, and I told him that he should re-watch Live Aid -- aside from color, that was a definite nod to Mercury, and I thought it was a great touch. I didn't particularly enjoy her performance, but I loved the kudos to Mercury with her outfit.

Vince 04-09-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 1702403)
Yes. Anybody who hadn't heard that version would have thought how novel his performance was but anybody who had heard that version, like myself, would have thought it was horrible. He did a terrible job with it.

I have heard that version and I love it, but it's been a while. I didn't think that Castro did that bad, so I'll have to give the "original" a re-listen.