Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2009 MLB Regular Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=70981)

lordscarlet 05-06-2009 09:26 AM

Sampson, for the 'stros, pitched for 1/3 inning, allowed 1 hit, 2 ER, 4 BB. It was a pathetic game all around.

MLB Game Center - CBSSports.com

Fighter of Foo 05-06-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedKingGold (Post 2013106)
On the plus side, Phils in first place for the first time this season.

:thumbsup:

That's more like an epic, epic fail by the NL east than something to be happy about.

Dr. Sak 05-06-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo (Post 2013357)
That's more like an epic, epic fail by the NL east than something to be happy about.

Insert obvious Mets joke in accordance with Epic Fail. :devil:

JS19 05-06-2009 07:24 PM

As sad as it sounds, great pitching duel between Santana and Park, yea thats right, Chan Ho Park. He's actually got a no hit bid going, as they enter the 5th, Santana has given up 1 hit.

Dr. Sak 05-06-2009 08:17 PM

3 Errors for the Phils tonight...coming into this game they only had 5 total.

JS19 05-06-2009 08:20 PM

that 3rd error was just an overall crazy play. Delgado on 1st, Tatis his a slow, broken bat roller to 3rd, no chance to throw him out, Feliz airmails one up the RF line, Delgado comes rolling around 3rd and for one reason or other, Werth pretty much triple clutches before he decides to throw home, as Delgado just beat the throw. Werth clearly would have nailed Delgado if he threw the ball when he picked it up.

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-06-2009 09:26 PM

Kauffman Stadium is quickly becoming a house of horrors for 1st place teams. Blue Jays rolled in the best team in baseball and promptly lost 3 out of 4. Seattle, which has the 2nd best ERA in baseball, is getting shelled by the Royals offense. Looks like the Royals are going to notch their 5th straight win and move 2 in front of Detroit.

molson 05-06-2009 10:13 PM

The Royals should sign Pedro Martinez.

It just seems like a fit to me, somehow.

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-06-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 2014009)
The Royals should sign Pedro Martinez.

It just seems like a fit to me, somehow.

Funny you should say that. Jim Thome Monday night said Zack Greinke is just as good as Pedro in his prime.

sterlingice 05-06-2009 11:11 PM

Tomorrow Banny vs Washburn @ 1pm (2 here)- sounds like I have something to listen to at work. I was listening to part of Nats-Astros and Cubs-Giants yesterday. Have I mentioned how much I like MLB Audio :)

SI

DaddyTorgo 05-06-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2014043)
Funny you should say that. Jim Thome Monday night said Zack Greinke is just as good as Pedro in his prime.

:lol:

ISiddiqui 05-06-2009 11:20 PM

:lol: :lol:

stevew 05-07-2009 12:35 AM

It would be hilarious if they decided to contract the Pirates if they go 20 straight losing seasons. 16 in the bag, and it's starting to look like 17 is a forgone conclusion.

Ronnie Dobbs2 05-07-2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2014043)

Like I said before, I love Greinke, and he's off to a fantastic start.

I don't think, however, you should start molding his Hall of Fame bust yet. I mean, what if he gets glasses or changes his haircut? You'd have to start all over, then.

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-07-2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 (Post 2014211)
Like I said before, I love Greinke, and he's off to a fantastic start.

I don't think, however, you should start molding his Hall of Fame bust yet. I mean, what if he gets glasses or changes his haircut? You'd have to start all over, then.

I do think people obviously haven't been paying attention if they believe this is just a flukey start. Greinke's only problem has been his personal issues. Assuming he can keep focused and stay away from his social anxiety demons, he's going to have a great career. I do see him as one of those guys that may just play extremely well for another 5-7 years and then just decide to retire for no reason other than he's bored or wants to do something different.

Since last August (so roughly 1/2 of a season), he's given up 18 earned runs. That's incredible.

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-07-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2014044)
Tomorrow Banny vs Washburn @ 1pm (2 here)- sounds like I have something to listen to at work. I was listening to part of Nats-Astros and Cubs-Giants yesterday. Have I mentioned how much I like MLB Audio :)

SI

Yeah, good matchup today. I'll also be utilizing the MLB Audio at work.

Tasan 05-07-2009 07:22 AM

Anyone look at the standings today? The AL seems to be tipped on its head:

AL East leader: Toronto
AL Central leader: Kansas City
AL West leader: Texas

Now, I'm not disappointed at all. I'm a lifelong Texas Rangers fan. I just couldn't believe it when I checked this morning. As a Rangers fan, its been 10 years since I've actually had a reason to check the standings.

terpkristin 05-07-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2014227)
Yeah, good matchup today. I'll also be utilizing the MLB Audio at work.

I love MLB audio. Wish I could listen to it at work. :(

/tk

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-07-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasan (Post 2014230)

Now, I'm not disappointed at all. I'm a lifelong Texas Rangers fan. I just couldn't believe it when I checked this morning. As a Rangers fan, its been 10 years since I've actually had a reason to check the standings.

Some of the more traditional divisional powers have some warts this year. The Yankees and Twins have issues in the pitching staff, both having given up significantly more runs than they've scored. Chicago has good pitching, but can't score worth a lick. And we all know about the injuries/tragedy with the Angels and their starting staff.

sterlingice 05-07-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasan (Post 2014230)

Welcome to our world. Enjoying every minute of it :D

Tho, after this past weekend, I'm starting to be convinced we could be for real and actually be playing for the playoffs. There are some caveats- we're in a fairly weak division so staying a couple of games over .500 keeps us in contention- and also, this assumes no more major injuries. Gordon is already on the shelf and Meche has been ailing the last 2 starts so he needs to get right.

SI

Logan 05-07-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2014226)
I do think people obviously haven't been paying attention if they believe this is just a flukey start. Greinke's only problem has been his personal issues. Assuming he can keep focused and stay away from his social anxiety demons, he's going to have a great career. I do see him as one of those guys that may just play extremely well for another 5-7 years and then just decide to retire for no reason other than he's bored or wants to do something different.

Since last August (so roughly 1/2 of a season), he's given up 18 earned runs. That's incredible.

I know Santana has been similarly incredible over that timeframe, so I checked the numbers.

Greinke has thrown 107 innings since August, yielding 18 earned runs for an ERA of 1.51.

Santana has thrown 126.1 innings, yielding 22 earned runs for an ERA of 1.56.

Yep, incredible.

What's most unreal to me about Santana is how whenever he gets into a bit of trouble, either because of a walk or an error, he's amazing at getting his team out of it and limiting the damage. He's given up just 2 additional unearned runs, and in total runs allowed over those last 19 starts, he's given up 3 runs twice, 2 runs seven times, 1 run four times, and 0 runs six times. Especially with this anemic offense, never allowing more than 3 runs is essential.

Ronnie Dobbs2 05-07-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2014226)
I do think people obviously haven't been paying attention if they believe this is just a flukey start.

It's a fluky start.

He will not finish the season with an ERA of .40.

Ksyrup 05-07-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 (Post 2014276)
It's a fluky start.

I agree. He will not finish the year with an ERA+ roughly 5 times the all-time record.

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-07-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

It's a fluky start.

Good to see you posting on the board, Peter Gammons.

Ronnie Dobbs2 05-07-2009 08:38 AM

My point being, of course, that its a little early to crown his ass with comparisons to Pedro Martinez.

Just enjoy what he's doing.

Ksyrup 05-07-2009 08:58 AM

I've been wondering why I haven't heard Jerry Remy on the NESN broadcasts, and it turns out he's not only got lung cancer, but he's having complications. :(

sterlingice 05-07-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

It's a fluky start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 2014280)
I agree. He will not finish the year with an ERA+ roughly 5 times the all-time record.

Naw, that's totally sustainable ;)

SI

sterlingice 05-07-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2014275)
I know Santana has been similarly incredible over that timeframe, so I checked the numbers.

Greinke has thrown 107 innings since August, yielding 18 earned runs for an ERA of 1.51.

Santana has thrown 126.1 innings, yielding 22 earned runs for an ERA of 1.56.

Yep, incredible.

What's most unreal to me about Santana is how whenever he gets into a bit of trouble, either because of a walk or an error, he's amazing at getting his team out of it and limiting the damage. He's given up just 2 additional unearned runs, and in total runs allowed over those last 19 starts, he's given up 3 runs twice, 2 runs seven times, 1 run four times, and 0 runs six times. Especially with this anemic offense, never allowing more than 3 runs is essential.

I know this is going to sound completely moronic, but that's really the key to having a microscopic ERA- keep the crooked numbers off the board. Look, Greinke's going to give up some home runs. He's a fly ball pitcher and he's been lucky to not have a couple of those go over the fence so far.

Take your pick of fun Greinke stats so far this season:

Greinke fun facts » Joe Posnanski

"5. The league is hitting .242/.294/.337 against him with nobody on base.But the league is hitting .109/.136/.125 against him with runners on base.
And the league is hitting .097/.097/.097 against him with runners in scoring position.

6. Greinke’s strikeout-to-walk ratio with runners in scoring position — 14-to-0.

7. Batters are hitting .171 against Greinke in the seventh inning and after."

It sounds flukey, but there's some explanation here, using Pitchf/x:
Deconstructing Greinke - Royals Authority

SI

Mizzou B-ball fan 05-07-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 (Post 2014290)
My point being, of course, that its a little early to crown his ass with comparisons to Pedro Martinez.

Just enjoy what he's doing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Jim Thome, having faced Pedro Martinez on many occasions, is a bit better equipped than you or I to make that comparison.

Ronnie Dobbs2 05-07-2009 09:52 AM

I'm also sure there were some hitters who thought Valenzuela was the greatest pitcher ever in May, 1981.

cartman 05-07-2009 09:56 AM

I really hope that Greinke gets that Cy Young, so he can put it with the trophies won by other area greats, such as the Heisman won by Chase Daniel and the NCAA Div. 1 basketball championship trophy won by Coach Anderson.

Dr. Sak 05-07-2009 09:57 AM

I LOLed Cartman.

ISiddiqui 05-07-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2014386)
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Jim Thome, having faced Pedro Martinez on many occasions, is a bit better equipped than you or I to make that comparison.

Yeeeeah... because we use subjective impressions of athletes to decide on factual comparisons all the time! Though I've heard we've started using these things called statistics to get away from that thing! I can't wait to see what happens!

larrymcg421 05-07-2009 10:03 AM

It's understandable to be excited for Greinke. His start has been amazing and I'm rooting for him to put together an incredible season.

But let's be real. Greinke's best ERA+ has been 127. Pedro went higher than 200 5 times in a 7 year span. Maybe we could wait for him to finish at least one season in the 200's before he gets compared to Pedro?

larrymcg421 05-07-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2014403)
I really hope that Greinke gets that Cy Young, so he can put it with the trophies won by other area greats, such as the Heisman won by Chase Daniel and the NCAA Div. 1 basketball championship trophy won by Coach Anderson.

Wasn't it great when Coach Anderson and his team were honored by President McCain?

JPhillips 05-07-2009 10:07 AM

Well I'd think a pitching coach would know even more than Jim Thome.

Quote:

Florida's pitching coach Mark Wiley had some high praise for Edinson Volquez last night: “This guy is like Pedro Martinez in those couple of years when he was outstanding and you couldn’t touch him,”

We live in a lucky time when we undeniably have two young Pedros pitching.

Logan 05-07-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrymcg421 (Post 2014415)
Wasn't it great when Coach Anderson and his team were honored by President McCain?

Oh shi

Logan 05-07-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2014380)
I know this is going to sound completely moronic, but that's really the key to having a microscopic ERA- keep the crooked numbers off the board.

Giving your team an extremely good chance to win every single game you start is why they call you a stopper.

cartman 05-07-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2014380)
I know this is going to sound completely moronic, but that's really the key to having a microscopic ERA- keep the crooked numbers off the board.

That, or play with a horrendous defense and give up a lot of unearned runs. :D

sterlingice 05-07-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2014403)

I applaud this effort. I think all of the other Mizzou fans are icky Cardinal lovers so this is pretty much targeted at MBBF alone (well, kcchief19- but he's smart enough to ignore it)

It also realizes that the rest of the Royals fans on the board (and there are a couple of us) are just mostly in shock and enjoying it :D

SI

sterlingice 05-07-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartman (Post 2014425)
That, or play with a horrendous defense and give up a lot of unearned runs. :D

We can do that, too! Especially on the infield ;)

SI

Big Fo 05-07-2009 10:46 AM

Breaking on ESPN:

Manny Ramirez suspended 50 games starting today, he tested positive for PEDs.

kingfc22 05-07-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fo (Post 2014461)
Breaking on ESPN:

Manny Ramirez suspended 50 games starting today, he tested positive for PEDs.

BWHAHAHAAHHA

Ronnie Dobbs2 05-07-2009 10:47 AM

No way.

Ronnie Dobbs2 05-07-2009 10:50 AM

Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50 games for positive drug test - Los Angeles Times

kingfc22 05-07-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 (Post 2014463)
No way.

Heard it on the radio just now as well.

lordscarlet 05-07-2009 10:51 AM

Manny Ramirez will be suspended 50 games for positive drug test - Los Angeles Times

molson 05-07-2009 10:51 AM

I'm sure he'll claim that he didn't know what he was taking (and that people will belief it).

He's aloof, not retarded.

larrymcg421 05-07-2009 10:51 AM

Danny 05-07-2009 10:53 AM

Wow, we had such an awesome start to the season too. And yes Manny is stupid, otherwise he would not have gotten caught.