Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2008-2009 College Basketball Thread...... (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=68303)

Samdari 06-30-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2061890)
Potential recruiting change-of-heart on the airwaves in KC this morning. Carl Henry was interviewed by the morning show on a local KC radio station. He said that Xavier and CJ Henry are not yet sure they want to attend Kansas. They are reportedly going to put their heads together (code for crunching the $$$) and decide on whether they want to go to Kentucky or Kansas.

How can UK absorb two more scholarships. At last count, weren't they overbooked by 5? Meeks leaving means they'd need to get rid of 4 scholarship players, the Henrys would mean 6? There's got to be some backlash there, no?

Arles 06-30-2009 03:42 PM

Former highly recruited Duke guard Elliot Williams (soph) is transferring to Memphis this fall. I guess his mother is ill and he wants to be closer to home. There's some talk that he'll get a hardship waiver and be eligible to play this fall. If that happens (albeit for sad reasons in real life), it will be a big boost to Memphis.

Mizzou B-ball fan 07-01-2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samdari (Post 2062012)
How can UK absorb two more scholarships. At last count, weren't they overbooked by 5? Meeks leaving means they'd need to get rid of 4 scholarship players, the Henrys would mean 6? There's got to be some backlash there, no?

CJ Henry has already said he could walk on.

Looks like the Henry Brothers have reaffirmed their commit to Kansas.

Xavier Henry says he’ll keep his commitment to KU - Kansas City Star

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2062008)
Lance Stephensen to Cincinnati.

Happy to see that. He'll be a perfect fit there. :)

Mizzou B-ball fan 07-01-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arles (Post 2062059)
Former highly recruited Duke guard Elliot Williams (soph) is transferring to Memphis this fall. I guess his mother is ill and he wants to be closer to home. There's some talk that he'll get a hardship waiver and be eligible to play this fall. If that happens (albeit for sad reasons in real life), it will be a big boost to Memphis.

There's little question he'll get the waiver. There's plenty of similar situations. The blessing from Coach K when he was released all but guarantees it.

Chief Rum 07-01-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2062467)
There's little question he'll get the waiver. There's plenty of similar situations. The blessing from Coach K when he was released all but guarantees it.

Actually Alex Stephenson was in almost the exact same situation last year going from UNC to USC and the NCAA denied his waiver request.

Mizzou B-ball fan 07-01-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2062483)
Actually Alex Stephenson was in almost the exact same situation last year going from UNC to USC and the NCAA denied his waiver request.

Perhaps I'm missing some information, but I'm pretty sure the situation is different. Stephenson was denied a waiver because they couldn't prove that his family member (believe it was his father) needed the additional help. My understanding of the Williams situation is that he'll be involved in the care of his mother and that his help is needed.

DataKing 07-01-2009 09:48 AM

The more I hear about Xavier Henry, the less I care. It's painfully obvious that he's a one-and-done guy, which means long-term he'll have minimal impact on the Kansas basketball program. I'm much more excited about Collins and Aldrich returning for another season. KU is a team that didn't lose a single player who played significant minutes last year, and added Elijah Johnson (5* PG) and Thomas Robinson (4* PF). They'll be one of the deepest teams in the country and a solid contender with or without Henry.

sterlingice 07-01-2009 10:00 AM

Agreed 100%- the biggest thing for us was Aldrich and Collins staying. That said, I'd almost always have more talent as opposed to less talent and if he's the caliber of player people think, I wouldn't mind having one more bullet in the chamber.

SI

miami_fan 07-01-2009 11:55 AM

Does the news that the Henry brothers will be staying with Bill Self and KU mean that "outbid" Calipari and Kentucky for the boys' services?

sterlingice 07-01-2009 12:12 PM

Possibly, tho I don't know if our donors have as deep of pockets as theirs. Tho, it could be a classic "leverage another offer to sweeten yours" deal

SI

TargetPractice6 07-01-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2061899)
We were talking about Calipari just last week at work. You put a guy that dirty in a place with the huge wealth of resources and hungry admin willing to look the other way and they're going to test the death penalty limit (not that the NCAA would ever have the stones to do that to a major program).

Looks like we've seen the first glimpse of that.

SI

I'm no so sure the AD is that willing to look the other way. Thus far Barnhart has placed quite a bit of emphasis on avoiding trouble with the NCAA, especially considering our past history and after dealing with football probation when he took the job. In fact, he opened Calipari's introductory press conference by addressing these issues. That said I'm slightly worried about what we are getting into with Calipari. However, from what I understand the NCAA really turned over the tables at Memphis and if all they found was the Rose SAT issue and some travel money that needed to be reimbursed then I think we'll be okay.

Mizzou B-ball fan 07-05-2009 11:17 AM

Boy, Kansas may regret landing the Henry brothers. Between their aspirations and their dad's mouth, they may cause more problems than they're worth for one year...........

TAKE TWO: An alternative look at the day in sports - ColumbiaTribune.com

dawgfan 07-08-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2064701)
Boy, Kansas may regret landing the Henry brothers. Between their aspirations and their dad's mouth, they may cause more problems than they're worth for one year...........

TAKE TWO: An alternative look at the day in sports - ColumbiaTribune.com

These kids may be the prime example of why the NBA really needs a 2 years out of H.S. rule if they're going to have any such rule. Making it 1 year allows kids to not even pretend to care about academics, but 2 years would force them to take a few quarters/semesters of classes and stay academically eligible.

The current system solves little.

the_meanstrosity 07-08-2009 11:12 PM

The NBA doesn't care about the college game nor about the athletes that they are drafting. The main reason the NBA created the rule was to save some money on sending scouts to high school basketball games and then also to have the college game market these young men for a year before they are drafted. The NBA age limit is a complete and utter joke. I truly wish the NCAA would find a way to resolve this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 2068100)
These kids may be the prime example of why the NBA really needs a 2 years out of H.S. rule if they're going to have any such rule. Making it 1 year allows kids to not even pretend to care about academics, but 2 years would force them to take a few quarters/semesters of classes and stay academically eligible.

The current system solves little.

Mizzou B-ball fan 07-22-2009 10:27 AM

Here's a blast from the past. An article with an interview of Dave Bliss, the former Baylor coach..........

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.31ca8d8.html

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-31-2009 07:51 AM

Some sad news to report for Mizzou fans on the board. Norm Stewart's granddaughter was killed in a car crash yesterday.........

Crash into tree kills Columbia woman - ColumbiaTribune.com

MizzouRah 08-31-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2105479)
Some sad news to report for Mizzou fans on the board. Norm Stewart's granddaughter was killed in a car crash yesterday.........

That is sad.. no seat belt.. :(

the_meanstrosity 09-01-2009 06:01 AM

Awful news. Thoughts and prayers to the entire Stewart family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2105479)

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-13-2009 01:41 PM

Big commitment over the weekend for Mizzou. They've landed Phil Pressey, a great PG out of Texas. He had other visits planned after the MU visit this weekend, but decided to commit to Mizzou after the football game last night.

Point guard Pressey commits to MU hoops - Kansas City Star

MrBug708 09-13-2009 02:00 PM

Isn't he like 5'5?

Josh Smith is reportedly looking hard at Oklahoma

dawgfan 09-13-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 2116397)
Isn't he like 5'5?

And also Oregon too.

I wonder what might be behind these recent developments...

Blade6119 09-13-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2116383)
Big commitment over the weekend for Mizzou. They've landed Phil Pressey, a great PG out of Texas. He had other visits planned after the MU visit this weekend, but decided to commit to Mizzou after the football game last night.

The Columbia Tribune, who broke the story, has since deleted the article on their site...and while rivals hinted at it, I dont see it official on there yet. Not sure its quite official yet, so I would hold off on celebrating just yet

MrBug708 09-14-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 2116767)
And also Oregon too.

I wonder what might be behind these recent developments...

Oregon is just a random rumor I think. Dunigan is gonna be good so that would be a dumb move for Smith. The reason I think the Oklahoma rumor is gaining legs is that ASU had two top 150 kids decommit in the past month or so and both are thought to be headed to UCLA if Smith does end up somewhere else

the_meanstrosity 09-14-2009 05:48 AM

A great pickup for Missouri when it's confirmed. Pressey is the son of one of Anderson's former teammates and close friends plus he's visited Missouri on a number of occasions so it wasn't a surprise to hear he verballed to Missouri. He'll definitely be a great fit for Anderson's style of play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2116383)

the_meanstrosity 09-14-2009 05:54 AM

Pressey is indeed a smaller point guard (listed at 5'7"), but he's very quick and can really run the floor. He'll be a great fit for Mike Anderson's system. Most scouting reports I've seen on Pressey, people have been very impressed with him. Good shooter, tenacious defender, and loves to run. Like I said, a great fit for Anderson's system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 2116397)
Isn't he like 5'5?

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-14-2009 07:03 AM

Here's an article on the Pressey commit. This kid is EXACTLY the player we've been looking for to run the show here at Mizzou. Crazy handles and assist capability with a suffocating defensive presence. Our recruiting will improve because of this kid just because everyone will want to be on the other end of his assists.

Pressey commits to Missouri - CBSSports.com

Quote:

Pressey commits to Missouri

Phil Pressey committed to Missouri on Sunday.

So that means one of my favorite players from the Class of 2010 will play for Mike Anderson.

Sure, there are better prospects in the class, better point guards even. But over the past two summers I don't think I've enjoyed watching anybody as much as I've enjoyed watching Pressey, whom Scout.com ranks as the nation's 33rd-best prospect. He's a little-bitty point guard -- a pest on the defensive end, a brilliant passer on the other. I've seen him take over games, bring two observers named LeBron James and Chris Paul out of their seats. And I was so blown away by Pressey two summers ago that I wrote a whole column about him.

You can click this link (Size doesn't matter for prep standout Pressey - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com ) to check it out.

And Missouri fans, man, you're going to enjoy this dude.

Blade6119 09-14-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 2116792)
Oregon is just a random rumor I think. Dunigan is gonna be good so that would be a dumb move for Smith. The reason I think the Oklahoma rumor is gaining legs is that ASU had two top 150 kids decommit in the past month or so and both are thought to be headed to UCLA if Smith does end up somewhere else

Where are you hearing this from? I know Caudill and Turner are teammates, and Turner seems the more likely to sign somewhere else, but Caudill is telling the ASU sites they are still the big leader for his services, his parents just want him to check out the other options(he only visited ASU) before he decides on his future since he still has 2 years left. While I dont doubt UCLA is prob. going to be a key player in both of their recruitments, I also hadnt heared them mentioned once by either player as both are still singing ASU's praises despite their decommitments. Just wondering if there is any legs to your story, or just some wishful thinking around the UCLA boards(not to say it may not be true, just not backed in evidence).

dawgfan 09-14-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 2116792)

Oklahoma is one of Nike's primary basketball schools, and Smith's AAU team is Nike-sponsored. UCLA is not a Nike school.

I think we all are somewhat aware of the underside of college basketball recruiting and the influence AAU teams and shoe companies have - this sure smells like a prime case brewing, because the word for the last few months is that Smith to UCLA was a done deal.

MrBug708 09-14-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgfan (Post 2117280)
Oklahoma is one of Nike's primary basketball schools, and Smith's AAU team is Nike-sponsored. UCLA is not a Nike school.

I think we all are somewhat aware of the underside of college basketball recruiting and the influence AAU teams and shoe companies have - this sure smells like a prime case brewing, because the word for the last few months is that Smith to UCLA was a done deal.

I think Josh Smith might have looked at a depth chart of UCLA's frontcourt. :)

It's still note over though

On a side note, how is it posible that Oklahoma is a primary Nike basketball school? The only schools of note (for basketball at least) with ADIDAS are UCLA and Kansas, so everyone else is Nike. I'd pick about 15 schools ahead of Oklahoma.

MrBug708 09-14-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade6119 (Post 2116880)
Where are you hearing this from? I know Caudill and Turner are teammates, and Turner seems the more likely to sign somewhere else, but Caudill is telling the ASU sites they are still the big leader for his services, his parents just want him to check out the other options(he only visited ASU) before he decides on his future since he still has 2 years left. While I dont doubt UCLA is prob. going to be a key player in both of their recruitments, I also hadnt heared them mentioned once by either player as both are still singing ASU's praises despite their decommitments. Just wondering if there is any legs to your story, or just some wishful thinking around the UCLA boards(not to say it may not be true, just not backed in evidence).

I think Turner to UCLA might be the worst kept secret. Unless McCallum ended up at UCLA, Turner is likely our next PG. As for KC, he grew up a UCLA and was practically begging for an offer. Now that Smith is looking elsewhere, I'm sure Howland turned his sights back onto the kid. He's a project kid though and UCLA won't need him the first year

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-18-2009 01:58 PM

Mizzou fans are keeping an eye on Fayetteville this weekend. SG Ricky Scott has an official visit to Arkansas this weekend. If they don't get him to commit this weekend, the word in Columbia is that they feel like he's Mizzou's for the taking.

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-24-2009 07:14 AM

Lawrence, Kansas has just exploded over the last couple of days. Multiple fights between basketball and football players. Tension has been ongoing for years reportedly. The Facebook posts from Tyshawn Taylor are laughable.

KU basketball, football players involved in three altercations - Kansas City Star

Foolish fisticuffs a punch to the gut for Jayhawks - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com

Brawls at KU were simmering for a long time - Kansas City Star

Insiders in St. Louis are also leaking that this fiasco has already cost KU a shot at Bradley Beal, one of the top SG's in the 2011 class. His parents have privately said they pulled KU from consideration.

MrBug708 09-24-2009 08:56 AM

If you know about it, how is it privately?

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-24-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 2125849)
If you know about it, how is it privately?

Did you see it anywhere on the net yet? That would make it private.

Chief Rum 09-24-2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2125857)
Did you see it anywhere on the net yet? That would make it private.

Didn't you yourself just post links a couple posts above this? Or is that some special Internet only you have access to, and are granting us a way to see it? :D

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-24-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2125874)
Didn't you yourself just post links a couple posts above this? Or is that some special Internet only you have access to, and are granting us a way to see it? :D

None of the Bradley Beal recruiting information was in those articles, which is what MrBug was asking about.

Chief Rum 09-24-2009 10:25 AM

Ah, got it. Well, then, maybe next time when someone asks that, you should just say you know someone personally or whatever, rather than give Bug the asshole "no Internet==private" response, ya know?

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-24-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2125914)
Ah, got it. Well, then, maybe next time when someone asks that, you should just say you know someone personally or whatever, rather than give Bug the asshole "no Internet==private" response, ya know?

I was responding in the same tone of the question being asked. But you're correct that I should probably just ignore the tone of the question and answer it in a more polite tone. Fair point.

And yes, I was told about the Beal situation by someone last night who frequents the AAU circuit and knows many of the coaches.

Chief Rum 09-24-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2125938)
I was responding in the same tone of the question being asked. But you're correct that I should probably just ignore the tone of the question and answer it in a more polite tone. Fair point.

And yes, I was told about the Beal situation by someone last night who frequents the AAU circuit and knows many of the coaches.

I guess I could see reading his question that way, but I think you read it more harshly than he intended it. I think it's reasonable to assume you learned the information second hand (via Internet), since for 99.99% of us on 99.99% of the info out there, it's via the media that we do learn these things, and not by direct association.

But, yeah, I see where you're coming from on that.

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-24-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2125978)
I guess I could see reading his question that way, but I think you read it more harshly than he intended it. I think it's reasonable to assume you learned the information second hand (via Internet), since for 99.99% of us on 99.99% of the info out there, it's via the media that we do learn these things, and not by direct association.

But, yeah, I see where you're coming from on that.

Meh, when in doubt, blame me. :D

BishopMVP 09-24-2009 12:58 PM

UMass' coach kicked our only returning post player (Tyrell Lynch) off the team. He was foul-prone and only averaged 3 and 3 as a RS freshman, but he showed potential. Suspicion is academics since he was originally a non-qualifier at Auburn who had to sit his first year, but word is he had "team chemistry" problems. I didn't think we were going to be a contendor this year to the point people would be posting in threads about us, but it's frustrating to keep "rebuilding" (7 freshman, 2 new transfers this year) when half the players are gone before they become upperclassmen.

In my other response to that story, I'm glad at UMass that the basketball players and football players got along. It was mostly the football players against the drug dealers from Springfield competing for the girls by throwing around money at the bars that led to fights. I had a friend who worked as a bouncer at the one prominent "black" bar in Amherst (awkwardly called Monkey Bar) who told me they cleaned blood off the floor at least 3x a night when the two groups met.

the_meanstrosity 09-24-2009 10:11 PM

This is a complete joke and being blown way out of proportion, IMHO. From what I have heard in the interviews, it sounds like the whole issue is over a girl and it's only a small group of guys on the basketball and football teams. The only reason this is even getting publicity is because of Tyshawn Taylor injuring his hand otherwise it would still be private as it has been for the last few months (note months not years as suggested). It's basically college kids being stupid about an ex-girlfriend.

As for Tyshawn Taylor's Facebook posts those were actually song lyrics from Lil Wayne. Not that it excuses his language.

PS: How did I know Mizzou B-Ball fan would post this topic?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2125804)
Lawrence, Kansas has just exploded over the last couple of days. Multiple fights between basketball and football players. Tension has been ongoing for years reportedly. The Facebook posts from Tyshawn Taylor are laughable.

KU basketball, football players involved in three altercations - Kansas City Star

Foolish fisticuffs a punch to the gut for Jayhawks - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com

Brawls at KU were simmering for a long time - Kansas City Star

Insiders in St. Louis are also leaking that this fiasco has already cost KU a shot at Bradley Beal, one of the top SG's in the 2011 class. His parents have privately said they pulled KU from consideration.

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-25-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity (Post 2126569)
This is a complete joke and being blown way out of proportion, IMHO. From what I have heard in the interviews, it sounds like the whole issue is over a girl and it's only a small group of guys on the basketball and football teams. The only reason this is even getting publicity is because of Tyshawn Taylor injuring his hand otherwise it would still be private as it has been for the last few months (note months not years as suggested). It's basically college kids being stupid about an ex-girlfriend.

As for Tyshawn Taylor's Facebook posts those were actually song lyrics from Lil Wayne. Not that it excuses his language.

PS: How did I know Mizzou B-Ball fan would post this topic?

You knew I'd post it because I'm a Mizzou fan who loves to see the beakers make fools of themselves.

This kind of stuff makes me SO glad that we have a coach that is willing to pass on a player if his character is in question. It may hurt our chances of winning, but better to do that than embarrass a loyal fan base like this. It's pretty sad that Self had to come out yesterday and apologize for the behavior of his players.

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-25-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2125804)

Just got some more info on the Beal situation with KU. Sounds like Bill Self called Beal and basically threw his own players under the bus to attempt to get back into his parents' good graces. We'll see if it works.

Chief Rum 09-25-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2126757)
You knew I'd post it because I'm a Mizzou fan who loves to see the beakers make fools of themselves.

This kind of stuff makes me SO glad that we now have a coach that is willing to pass on a player if his character is in question. It may hurt our chances of winning, but better to do that than embarrass a loyal fan base like this. It's pretty sad that Self had to come out yesterday and apologize for the behavior of his players.

Just wanted to add the bolded clarifier. ;)

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-25-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2127027)
Just wanted to add the bolded clarifier. ;)

Quin was just the opposite. What a mess that was.

the_meanstrosity 09-25-2009 04:57 PM

It's not just KU though. You've gone after other programs since I first noticed you on these forums. It's like you have such a little man syndrome. I

The same Mike Anderson whose own son had a DUI while playing for the Tigers. Kalen Grimes, was arrested for second degree battery for hitting someone with the butt of a shotgun. He had multiple players (Horton, Butterfield, Hannah, etc) get in trouble for a fight in a restaurant. Butterfield then was arrested for a dispute with his girlfriend. Yeah, these are real character players. Need I go on?

Unlike you, I'm not going to sit here and claim Mike Anderson is taking shortcuts to win. I think Mike Anderson is a good guy who had some players that made poor decisions. Like it or not, these coaches are dealing with kids who are going to make the occasional poor decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2126757)

This kind of stuff makes me SO glad that we have a coach that is willing to pass on a player if his character is in question. It may hurt our chances of winning, but better to do that than embarrass a loyal fan base like this. It's pretty sad that Self had to come out yesterday and apologize for the behavior of his players.

the_meanstrosity 09-25-2009 05:04 PM

Nice info. So in other words you're covering all your bases? I highly doubt Beal let's some silly fight that happened between a few athletes over a girl dispel his interest in that team.

Did you notice that KU just got a confirmed visit from one of the top prospects in 2010 and a high character recruit, Harrison Barnes. Funny how the "fight" didn't scare Harrison Barnes off.

If you actually provide a source that says Beal did not have interest in KU because of the fight then I would actually trust you. But anyone on the internet can claim sources. I have a source that says Beal won't even look at MU because of Ricky Clemmons and Steffon Hannah. Oh wait, now my sources say that Mike Anderson has thrown Ricky and Steffon under the bus so he may be interested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2126985)
Just got some more info on the Beal situation with KU. Sounds like Bill Self called Beal and basically threw his own players under the bus to attempt to get back into his parents' good graces. We'll see if it works.

the_meanstrosity 09-25-2009 05:43 PM

Columbia, Missouri has just exploded over the last couple of days. A near zombie attack on the Edmonton Eskimos squad when former Tiger Xzavie Jackson left the field and returned with a shovel after getting into a fight with a teammate. Tension has been ongoing for days reportedly. The Facebook posts from Missouri B-ball fan are laughable.

http://soyoked.com/2009/09/football-...ovel-to-fight/

Insiders in St. Louis are also leaking that this fiasco has already cost MU a shot at Bradley Beal, one of the top SG's in the 2011 class. His parents have privately said they pulled MU from consideration when they heard.

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-26-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity (Post 2127163)
It's not just KU though. You've gone after other programs since I first noticed you on these forums. It's like you have such a little man syndrome. I

The same Mike Anderson whose own son had a DUI while playing for the Tigers. Kalen Grimes, was arrested for second degree battery for hitting someone with the butt of a shotgun. He had multiple players (Horton, Butterfield, Hannah, etc) get in trouble for a fight in a restaurant. Butterfield then was arrested for a dispute with his girlfriend. Yeah, these are real character players. Need I go on?

All the players you listed were suspended for multiple games during Big 12 play (MU actually played with 6 players against Nebraska) or they (Grimes, Butterfield, Hannah) were booted from the program. I won't hold my breath that Bill Self will hand down any of those kinds of punishments.

The Morris twins have already shot at someone and now pushed a football player down a flight of stairs. Taylor just committed a pre-meditated assault. Collins continues to remain in Self's doghouse. Suspensions? Booted off the team? I'm waiting.

the_meanstrosity 09-26-2009 09:54 AM

What does suspending players have to do with recruiting character players? You suggested in your previous statement that Mike Anderson only recruited character players at the expense of winning. Are you now backing off that claim? Are you now suggesting that Mike Anderson does in fact recruit players that every other coach recruits so that he can field a competitive basketball team at MU?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2127413)
All the players you listed were suspended for multiple games during Big 12 play (MU actually played with 6 players against Nebraska) or they (Grimes, Butterfield, Hannah) were booted from the program. I won't hold my breath that Bill Self will hand down any of those kinds of punishments.

JonInMiddleGA 09-29-2009 12:48 PM

Emmanuel Negedu of Tennessee Volunteers hospitalized after collapsing at university sports facility - ESPN

Tennessee sophomore forward Emmanuel Negedu remained hospitalized Tuesday after collapsing at the Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex on Monday afternoon.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported that Negedu didn't have a pulse when he was revived with a defibrillator on site by members of Tennessee's athletic training staff shortly after 4 p.m. ET. The newspaper reported that according to a source, Negedu was conscious when EMTs arrived.

Late Monday, Tennessee associate athletic trainer Chad Newman said Negedu was transported by ambulance from the sports complex to the UT Medical Center. Negedu was listed in stable condition.

Tennessee spokesman Thomas Satkowiak said Tuesday that the school hoped to have a further detailed statement on Negedu's condition later in the day. Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl was recruiting on Tuesday.

According to the News Sentinel, Pearl said Monday night, "We'd like to thank everyone for their concern and support. We ask you to keep Emmanuel in your prayers."

Negedu worked out Monday morning, went to class and then returned for a light weight room upper-body session in the afternoon. He didn't complain of any pain or show any signs he was in duress, according to the report.

Negedu, who is from Nigeria and was originally slated to go to Arizona before Lute Olson took a leave of absence and then retired, played in 33 games as a freshman and averaged 7.2 minutes and 1.9 points per game. The 6-7, 218-pound Negedu was expected to be a part of the Vols' frontcourt rotation this season.

Mizzou B-ball fan 09-29-2009 12:59 PM

Yet another case where an on-site defibrillator may end up saving a life that would have otherwise been lost. Putting those things on site at most colleges and high schools was one of the best decisions these programs have ever made.

Mizzou B-ball fan 10-03-2009 01:04 PM

More problems in the KU basketball program. Brady Morningstar arrested for DWI.

KU guard Morningstar arrested on suspicion of DWI / LJWorld.com

Also, a friend of the Morris brothers was arrested in conjunction with the football-basketball brawls. Investigation continues on to see if any further charges should be filed.

Amazingly, most KU fans are not defending the actions of the players at this point. It's a pretty embarrassing situation for the university and the alumni. I'm guessing that team rules are going to be enforced pretty heavily moving forward.

the_meanstrosity 10-03-2009 03:41 PM

Obsess much?

Mizzou B-ball fan 10-04-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity (Post 2133504)
Obsess much?

You'd have to tell me. You're one of the few beakers that I've seen that has actually felt the need to defend this kind of behavior from your players or minimize its impact. When a university has a large portion of its basketball and football (and other sports programs as we've also found out) creating situations that are detrimental to the university, it's a big deal.

wade moore 10-04-2009 09:28 AM

I'm just curious.. what does this have to do with the 2008-2009 basketball season?

the_meanstrosity 10-04-2009 12:03 PM

Who said I was defending anyone? I just find it interesting you don't see others fans posting every MU mess (MU cellphones) yet you're obsessed with pointing out everyone else's faults. You pulled this same garbage with Memphis and now you're back to obsessing with KU. It's just weird that you spend so much time filled with hate.

PS: I noticed you never answered my previous question regarding Mike Anderson's recruiting of "character" players. Nice of you to make unfounded claims that aren't supported by any facts whatsoever. You seem to do a lot of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2133933)
You'd have to tell me. You're one of the few beakers that I've seen that has actually felt the need to defend this kind of behavior from your players or minimize its impact. When a university has a large portion of its basketball and football (and other sports programs as we've also found out) creating situations that are detrimental to the university, it's a big deal.

Radii 10-04-2009 12:05 PM

I actually find the Kansas story fascinating, its just a shame that MBBF was the one to post about it, negating any possible chance of legitimate discussion on the topic ever occurring on this forum.

Swaggs 10-04-2009 02:40 PM

I posted this over at FOFC-FBCB, but thought I'd share here, as well...

This is odd and I just found out, but one of my friends and graduating classmates from high school was just named men's head coach at Army (only 33-years old):

Army Hires Spiker As New Basketball Coach | AHN

Mizzou B-ball fan 10-04-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radii (Post 2134023)
I actually find the Kansas story fascinating, its just a shame that MBBF was the one to post about it, negating any possible chance of legitimate discussion on the topic ever occurring on this forum.

Pretty accurate. It's more about me than anything regarding meanstrosity. As the head coaches and the AD have already stated, it's a very embarrassing situation for the university. The fact that those same administrators were covering up this kind of behavior in the past only makes it worse.

molson 10-04-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs (Post 2134125)
I posted this over at FOFC-FBCB, but thought I'd share here, as well...

This is odd and I just found out, but one of my friends and graduating classmates from high school was just named men's head coach at Army (only 33-years old):

Army Hires Spiker As New Basketball Coach | AHN

It's also weird that the last Army coach was fired for verbal abuse.....The military is getting soft.

Samdari 10-05-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molson (Post 2134386)
It's also weird that the last Army coach was fired for verbal abuse.....The military is getting soft.

Yeah, at an institution famed more for verbal abuse than anything, that is shocking. I had seen the Crews getting fired story last week, and thought it was very odd, but verbal abuse is kind of stunning.

Especially since he was not even supposed to be coaching them at the time?

Mizzou B-ball fan 10-05-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samdari (Post 2134550)
Yeah, at an institution famed more for verbal abuse than anything, that is shocking. I had seen the Crews getting fired story last week, and thought it was very odd, but verbal abuse is kind of stunning.

Especially since he was not even supposed to be coaching them at the time?

They can do 'individual workouts' with the players in the time leading up to the official start of practice. They can hold a workout session with one coach and he can have no more than 4 players in the workout. Basically, it allows for drills to improve individual skills, but doesn't allow 5 or more players to avoid any work on running plays or actual scrimmages.

the_meanstrosity 10-05-2009 08:06 PM

If you were truly interested in discussion then you would have explained your "Mike Anderson only recruits character kids at the cost of wins" after I debunked that myth with examples of players Mike Anderson recruited getting in legal trouble. Instead you ignored it. That's not the definition of a discussion.

Radii is correct that there should be a legit discussion regarding the argument between the two programs at KU. He's also correct that you posting it ruins the discussion simply because you're using it to flame away at a program. You're simply not interested in discussing the topic rationally. I've seen you do this in numerous threads regarding other schools. The next time you discuss something about college athletics will be the first time.

Oh and where's your proof that the administration was covering up this issue? Every comment I've seen is that the administration was unaware of this situation. Do you honestly believe guys like Bill Self or Lew Perkins would allow this kind of activity going on if they knew about it? How would you like it if someone posted that Mike Anderson knew his son would drink and drive and just covered it up without offering any ounce of proof to that argument. That's what you're suggesting and it's ridiculous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2134202)
Pretty accurate. It's more about me than anything regarding meanstrosity. As the head coaches and the AD have already stated, it's a very embarrassing situation for the university. The fact that those same administrators were covering up this kind of behavior in the past only makes it worse.

Mizzou B-ball fan 10-06-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity (Post 2135067)
Oh and where's your proof that the administration was covering up this issue? Every comment I've seen is that the administration was unaware of this situation. Do you honestly believe guys like Bill Self or Lew Perkins would allow this kind of activity going on if they knew about it? How would you like it if someone posted that Mike Anderson knew his son would drink and drive and just covered it up without offering any ounce of proof to that argument. That's what you're suggesting and it's ridiculous.

I'll speak slowly for you. There have been fights between the two programs for five years now as mentione by former players on both teams. Previous incidents were kept internal to avoid a major flame up.

Your comparison argument doesn't make a lick of sense. It doesn't have any relevance nor is it even comparable to what's being discussed. I appreciate your loyalty to your favorite team, but what's happened at KU is indefensible. Just admit it and move on.

JonInMiddleGA 10-06-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity (Post 2135067)
Do you honestly believe guys like Bill Self or Lew Perkins would allow this kind of activity going on if they knew about it?

Well, since you asked the question ....

Quote:

“keep my name out ya’ mouth for you get smacked in it,” he wrote at 11:12 a.m. Tuesday, and 30 minutes later he posted, “never get outta character .. I’m always a G about it.”

About 4 p.m., Taylor posted, “(racial slur)s be muggin me ..you know I’m mugging back.”

If that's what passes for a "student-athlete" at KU and he isn't back on the street where he clearly belongs as quick as they can process the paperwork then I don't really believe Self nor Perkins gives much of a flying fuck about anything other than wins. If they did, they'd be trying to shed themselves of a piece of crap whose proud that he's "always a G about it".

Mind you that doesn't make them any different than a shitload of other football & basketball programs in the country, but it's pretty hard to defend anyone who puts up with it. I've got the same criticism for Tennessee signing a rapist to a scholarship, for Georgia Tech when Gailey played a freakin' dope dealer (the courts forced GT to let him back on the team, nobody forced Gailey to play his ass), and anybody else who ignores this sort of garbage just because a player runs or shoots well.

the_meanstrosity 10-06-2009 04:26 PM

You do realize those facebook quotes are all lyrics from songs right? The person in question posts lyrics of songs as his facebook status. The one you're referring to is a Lil Wayne song if I recall correctly. So you have to take those messages in context. Here's a link below that explains the facebook quotes.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1467804-p2.html

And you're mistaken if you think Bill Self or Lew Perkins would be ok with their players getting into fights with other athletes at their school. Lew Perkins prides himself on creating a family atmosphere for the athletic department. This is not something he would turn a blind eye too. Ask anyone who knows Coach Self and they'll tell you he's not a happy coach right now with the way his players have behaved. Do coaches want to win? Certainly. But they also don't want to babysit these young men. Hence why guys like Giles and Giddens were removed from the program.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2135675)
Well, since you asked the question ....

If that's what passes for a "student-athlete" at KU and he isn't back on the street where he clearly belongs as quick as they can process the paperwork then I don't really believe Self nor Perkins gives much of a flying fuck about anything other than wins. If they did, they'd be trying to shed themselves of a piece of crap whose proud that he's "always a G about it".

Mind you that doesn't make them any different than a shitload of other football & basketball programs in the country, but it's pretty hard to defend anyone who puts up with it. I've got the same criticism for Tennessee signing a rapist to a scholarship, for Georgia Tech when Gailey played a freakin' dope dealer (the courts forced GT to let him back on the team, nobody forced Gailey to play his ass), and anybody else who ignores this sort of garbage just because a player runs or shoots well.

the_meanstrosity 10-06-2009 04:44 PM

Five years? Are you crazy? Heck Whitlock's article claimed it was two years and now you're blowing it up to five years? Seriously? The recent argument is over a girl who is a junior. So I highly doubt this has been going on for 5 years. I know where you're getting your "5 years" information and believe me when I say that Tom Keegan is not a journalist. He's an editor of the sports page. The guy is a clown who threw out the "5 years" during his first day of "investigating" the issue, lol. Unless the girl in question has been in school for five years I don't buy it.

What previous incidents were there? I guarantee you that if there were serious incidents then they would have been made public. It's not like KU is hidden away from the world where the media isn't allowed. They've got the KC Star and LJW near campus trying to break stories every day. I'm not going to suggest there hasn't been friction between student athletes. It's bound to happen when you're dealing with young kids from all over the country. I think most of us can all agree that at one point or another we had tussles in college. But the only thing to come from these "incidents" was Tyshawn Taylor's busted hand from throwing a punch. Heck the last time a Missouri basketball player got into a fight he had a college career ending injury (Hannah). So do I think this whole thing is overblown? Yes. It doesn't excuse these kids from making idiots of themselves though.

How does my comparison argument not work? Are you suggesting that Mike Anderson doesn't know that his son drinks and occasionally drives? If Mike Anderson isn't expected to know this information about his own son then how would you expect Lew Perkins or Bill Self to know the personal issues of a few athletes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 2135659)
I'll speak slowly for you. There have been fights between the two programs for five years now as mentione by former players on both teams. Previous incidents were kept internal to avoid a major flame up.

Your comparison argument doesn't make a lick of sense. It doesn't have any relevance nor is it even comparable to what's being discussed. I appreciate your loyalty to your favorite team, but what's happened at KU is indefensible. Just admit it and move on.