Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The Official MLB 2007 Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=57945)

Pumpy Tudors 04-02-2007 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordscarlet (Post 1432933)
Anyone else going to the Nats game today?

Sure, why not! See ya there!

MizzouRah 04-02-2007 09:21 AM

We got smoked!

lordscarlet 04-02-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 1432937)
Sure, why not! See ya there!

:)

Izulde 04-02-2007 11:17 AM

White Sox game will be starting and I'll be in Art Appreciation. Bleh.

JeeberD 04-02-2007 08:17 PM

Fucking Lidge... :rolleyes:

MizzouRah 04-02-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeberD (Post 1433396)

:D

Yellow5 04-02-2007 09:18 PM

Go Mariners! 4-0 vs the A's

King Felix: 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 12 K. 12 groundouts, 0 flyouts.

Yeah I know it's the first game and the M's are doomed but it's nice to see them win the first game at home.

Anyone else ever see FanGraphs? They have a live scoreboard that calculates Win Probability on the fly for every game. Also keeps stats for just about everything baseball.

Terps 04-02-2007 09:22 PM

Erik Bedard got roughed up for 6 runs, but I know he'll bounce back for a good if not great year. Ramon Hernandez got scratched for the opening series before the game, and Paul Bako is now the starting catcher. The bench is awful, Alberto Castillo, Freddie Bynum and Chris Gomez for the time being.

Hope I'm wrong but it's gonna be another long year and 4th place once again.

Ragone 04-02-2007 09:30 PM

Royals tied for first place!

kingfc22 04-02-2007 09:35 PM

I got to get this out of my system since it's baseball season.

Hey MrBug - Dodgers SUCK! ;)

Lathum 04-02-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

yep.

kingfc22 04-02-2007 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow5 (Post 1433437)
Anyone else ever see FanGraphs? They have a live scoreboard that calculates Win Probability on the fly for every game. Also keeps stats for just about everything baseball.

Interesting site. Thx for the heads up.

Crapshoot 04-02-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfc22 (Post 1433457)

Dude, that's applicable - in season or out of season. Their are certain inevitable truths in life - and the Dodgers sucking is one of them.

Izulde 04-03-2007 02:49 AM

Quote:

He got 2 Ks to start things off.

A lot better than "I decided I felt like being a BP pitcher today" Contreras. Fucking hell. 1 full inning and three batters faced in the second without an out recorded.. 8 runs, 7 earned for a 63.00 ERA :mad:

SackAttack 04-03-2007 03:01 AM

Quote:

He hasn't been the same since I predicted the Pujols homer in the playoffs a couple years ago.

This mojo stuff is more potent than I thought.

JeeberD 04-03-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izulde (Post 1433533)
He got 2 Ks to start things off.

Only one K, actually..

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 1433534)
He hasn't been the same since I predicted the Pujols homer in the playoffs a couple years ago.

This mojo stuff is more potent than I thought.

*sigh*

korme 04-03-2007 06:05 PM

Hearing Pete Rose talk to the boys upstairs during the 7th inning was a nice Opening Day touch. He's so passionate about baseball in Cincinnati and remembers so much- we were the first team in 1869, he feels Cincinnati should still be the first game played of every season in Cincinnati. His favorite record he owns is not the untouchable 4,256; it is 1,978. That is the number of wins his teams earned when he played those games. He made this point: If a rookie were to come up this year, and for the next 19 years his teams won 100 games, he would still be 78 short of Pete.

Anyways, great win over the Cubbies. The Reds are oft predicted to finish last this year, but I am not discounting anybody in the NL Central to win it. The Cards have a shaky end of the rotation.

You never want to wish for an injury, but I want to see Josh Hamilton get 300-400 plate appearances this year.

Oh, and I already like Alex Gonzalez at SS. Great fielder.

rowech 04-03-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty3281 (Post 1433828)
Hearing Pete Rose talk to the boys upstairs during the 7th inning was a nice Opening Day touch. He's so passionate about baseball in Cincinnati and remembers so much- we were the first team in 1869, he feels Cincinnati should still be the first game played of every season in Cincinnati. His favorite record he owns is not the untouchable 4,256; it is 1,978. That is the number of wins his teams earned when he played those games. He made this point: If a rookie were to come up this year, and for the next 19 years his teams won 100 games, he would still be 78 short of Pete.

Anyways, great win over the Cubbies. The Reds are oft predicted to finish last this year, but I am not discounting anybody in the NL Central to win it. The Cards have a shaky end of the rotation.

You never want to wish for an injury, but I want to see Josh Hamilton get 300-400 plate appearances this year.

Oh, and I already like Alex Gonzalez at SS. Great fielder.

Pete defintely knows his stuff and would make one hell of a manager. Unfortunately, he's an idiot and threw it down the crapper.

By the way...anyone in the booth talking besides George Grande is a huge upgrade.

Lathum 04-03-2007 06:56 PM

My god the Nats are horrible

Ksyrup 04-03-2007 07:02 PM

Yep.

The only thing that improved the outlook for the team during the first inning from my perspective is that we just had a hellacious storm go through Lexington and I lost satellite for about 10 minutes. They looked much better at that point.

Lathum 04-03-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1433852)
Yep.

The only thing that improved the outlook for the team during the first inning from my perspective is that we just had a hellacious storm go through Lexington and I lost satellite for about 10 minutes. They looked much better at that point.

yeah, it's passing through cinci now.

Buccaneer 04-03-2007 07:09 PM

Damn, I forgot that the Padres opener was a day game. Very, very nice results. It's going to be fun watching this team relying solely on great pitching and timely base hits.

Ksyrup 04-03-2007 07:12 PM

I sat on the front porch and watched it blow in. Pretty cool. I'm kinda enjoying the weather here, in a bizarre way. Everyone thinks of Florida weather as nasty, but the worst T-storms I've seen in the past 5 or so years that weren't caused by a tropical storm or hurricane have been here in Lexington since last June. We generally didn't get these kinds of severe storms in Florida, at least not with the kind of winds I've seen. I'm glad the builder put an extra shelter room under our garage...

Rizon 04-03-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow5 (Post 1433437)
Go Mariners! 4-0 vs the A's

King Felix: 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 12 K. 12 groundouts, 0 flyouts.

Yeah I know it's the first game and the M's are doomed but it's nice to see them win the first game at home.

Typical A's loss. Our lineup is abysmal.

dawgfan 04-03-2007 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rizon (Post 1433873)
Typical A's loss. Our lineup is abysmal.

Felix has and will continue to make a lot of lineups look abysmal. Too bad the M's can't clone him...

Butter 04-03-2007 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 1433829)
By the way...anyone in the booth talking besides George Grande is a huge upgrade.

I really think that he and Chris Welsh (the Reds main TV color guy) are getting phased out with the hiring of Thom Brenneman and Jeff Brantley. But the guys have been so pro-Reds over the years that the ownership just can't bear to simply throw them out on their ass. I mean, Grande hosts the HOF induction for goodness sakes... but he's about as exciting and fun to listen to as a box of crickets.

Ksyrup 04-03-2007 08:11 PM

Speaking of announcers, it was very strange to hear Don Sutton not calling a Braves game.

JeeberD 04-03-2007 09:22 PM

Fucking Wheeler... :rolleyes:

rowech 04-03-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 (Post 1433875)
I really think that he and Chris Welsh (the Reds main TV color guy) are getting phased out with the hiring of Thom Brenneman and Jeff Brantley. But the guys have been so pro-Reds over the years that the ownership just can't bear to simply throw them out on their ass. I mean, Grande hosts the HOF induction for goodness sakes... but he's about as exciting and fun to listen to as a box of crickets.

Agreed on all counts. I believe Grande was one of, if not the first anchor of sportscenter. He's just terrible though. I really do hope Thom and Brantley phase in over the course of this season to take over next season. To be honest, Welsh isn't hateful and I'm not sure if he wouldn't be okay with someone else.

Lathum 04-04-2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeberD (Post 1433936)
Fucking Wheeler... :rolleyes:

It's to bad the Pirates can't play the Astros every game. They would be 162-0

lordscarlet 04-04-2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 1433849)
My god the Nats are horrible

[sigh]...

Lathum 04-04-2007 02:47 PM

Great comeback by the Nats today.

Ksyrup 04-04-2007 02:53 PM

Florida should have pulled the trigger on a deal for Benitez when the Giants were trying to give him away.

Ksyrup 04-04-2007 03:03 PM

Detroit's having a bit of a bullpen problem. Rodney throwing in the 80s and low 90s is not a good sign.

Ksyrup 04-04-2007 03:40 PM

Fullpack2K escapes yet another one. I'm of the opinion that the Tigers should deal Marcus Thames for another reliever.

lordscarlet 04-04-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 1434381)
Great comeback by the Nats today.

And MLB's GameDay is hugely different from last year. There are a lot of great features.. Thank god for two monitors at work. :)

Lathum 04-04-2007 09:00 PM

John Maine looks like a stud so far tonight.

korme 04-04-2007 09:05 PM

Thoughts on game 2 of the Reds/Cubs.

Man, hate to lose like that. Arroyo had a pretty decent outing, 9 k's but takes the loss.

The hitters couldn't get it going, Junior and Dunn surprisingly the only consistent bats in the first two games of the season. Phillips/Encarnacion/Ross pissing me off so far.

Why not PH LHB Hamilton for RHB Conine with 2 outs, bottom 9 against RHP Dempster? Doesn't make sense to me.

We hit probably atleast 4 balls tonight that just died in the air and on a regular night at GABP would have been goners. That sucks.

Soriano and Lee have not looked good for the Cubs at all so far.

I didn't see that performance from Lilly coming. When he has control of it, his curve is pretty nice.

Atocep 04-04-2007 10:05 PM

Shorty, I didn't watch the game so I have to ask. How in the holy hell did Reds pitchers manage to walk Cubs hitters 6 times?

I gaurantee this is the only time all season Soriano, J Jones, and Izturis all walk in the same game.

Karlifornia 04-04-2007 10:15 PM

Bonds pokes out #735. Flame on!

ISiddiqui 04-04-2007 10:23 PM

Great job by the Mets in sweeping the Cards. Maine looked absolutely wonderful and the offense exploded.

Ksyrup 04-04-2007 10:24 PM

Gotta love Vin Scully:

"Prince Fielder registers on the Richter Scale with a double."

Lathum 04-04-2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1434682)
Great job by the Mets in sweeping the Cards. Maine looked absolutely wonderful and the offense exploded.

They are such a fun team to watch

rowech 04-04-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty3281 (Post 1434648)
Thoughts on game 2 of the Reds/Cubs.

Man, hate to lose like that. Arroyo had a pretty decent outing, 9 k's but takes the loss.

The hitters couldn't get it going, Junior and Dunn surprisingly the only consistent bats in the first two games of the season. Phillips/Encarnacion/Ross pissing me off so far.

Why not PH LHB Hamilton for RHB Conine with 2 outs, bottom 9 against RHP Dempster? Doesn't make sense to me.

We hit probably atleast 4 balls tonight that just died in the air and on a regular night at GABP would have been goners. That sucks.

Soriano and Lee have not looked good for the Cubs at all so far.

I didn't see that performance from Lilly coming. When he has control of it, his curve is pretty nice.

Bad managing on Narron's part in the 8th. Should have never let Arroyo go back out after the seventh. You can see him starting to labor more. Especially, after getting one runner on, he should have never got to pitch to the next guy.

Ross looks horrid. My fear I think is true. Kid was just a flash in the pan last year. His play on the squeeze play was possibly the worst defensive play we'll see all year. Just stupid. Perhaps Arroyo should get it but Ross has to realize he's seeing everything...he should know Lee wasn't going anywhere on 3rd. He's been equally awful at the plate.

Encarnacion and Phillips will get it going. Ross I'm not sure about.

How about Brenneman and Brantley though? Brantely annoyed me a couple of times but good God is it nice to have real announcers. They should give Grande his severence pay now and say c-ya.

Logan 04-05-2007 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1434682)

That was one of the most well-played series by one team you will ever see. And to have it happen in the first series of the season is even crazier.

They seriously didn't do one thing wrong.

Ksyrup 04-05-2007 09:36 AM

Neyer's got a blog item this morning discussing this:

http://www.zumsteg.net/cheatersguide...ring-the-ball/

The guy who writes The Cheater's Guide to Baseball says that K-Rod is using an illegal substance. Neyer believes he's right, but thinks it's just chalk.

MizzouRah 04-05-2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1434767)
That was one of the most well-played series by one team you will ever see. And to have it happen in the first series of the season is even crazier.

They seriously didn't do one thing wrong.

You can say that again. On the other hand, we look like shit.

MrBug708 04-05-2007 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfc22 (Post 1433457)

Ya, but I can go to sleep knowing I dont have any desire to chuck batteries at other people :)

Atocep 04-05-2007 03:26 PM

The Royals may actually have a solid top of the rotation with Meche and Greinke. Hopefully Greinke has his personal issues straightened out because I had never seen a kid his age that knew how to use all of his pitches like he does.

Matsuzaka looks very solid in his first start. Only question, I think, was going to be his control and he's looked pretty sharp today.

dawgfan 04-05-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atocep (Post 1435088)
The Royals may actually have a solid top of the rotation with Meche and Greinke.

Operative word here is "may". As someone that has lived the ups and more frequent downs of Gil Meche, I'm very hesitant to accept the idea of him as "solid".

Now, maybe he's turned a corner, and maybe getting out of Seattle will be a boon for him; but be prepared for a few starts of great promise surrounded by a bunch of starts of frustration. His command simply hasn't been that great so far in his career - he nibbles, throws too many pitches and just doesn't have enough command of his fastball and curve to stay consistently ahead of hitters. His stuff is good, although a tad over-rated, and he has a tendency to tire in later innings.

But hey, he wouldn't be the first pitcher to bloom later in his career, and he does have good enough stuff that he could be a solid pitcher, so maybe he's turning things around.