Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The 2009 Video Game Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=70004)

DataKing 10-21-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2149564)
Reading reviews I get the impression that Borderlands is meant to be played on multiplayer or local co-op. Is the single player game secondary in terms of length and development? I don't play online much but would be interested in picking this one up if the single player is also strong.

I haven't played co-op yet, so I can't offer any direct comparison, but I didn't see anything last night that would leave me to believe that as a single-player game it is somehow "less." The reading that I've done indicates that the gameplay is around 20-25 hours if you just play straight through the storyline missions, but I've heard it jumps up around 100+ hours if you do all of the side-missions and other content as well. Also, there is a level cap of 50 but what I've read indicates that a normal play-through means a player will end the game around level 30-35. The game does not "end" in the conventional sense and you can either keep playing the same game or use the same character in another play-through.

Not sure if this answers your question.

RainMaker 10-21-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2149564)
Reading reviews I get the impression that Borderlands is meant to be played on multiplayer or local co-op. Is the single player game secondary in terms of length and development? I don't play online much but would be interested in picking this one up if the single player is also strong.

I think it can be fun as a single player but it's really built for multiplayer. For single player, consider it a stripped down version of Fallout 3 with better graphics.

JonInMiddleGA 10-21-2009 10:46 PM

I haven't touched Borderlands yet myself, but my son was playing tonight in the room while my wife & I finished up some work needed for an early morning conference call.

Just from glancing over occasionally & hearing bits & pieces of the sound, it looked like someone turned Heavy Metal into a video game, that you're perpetually fighting FO3 raiders (that are skilled more like Super Muties per my son) and wildlife, and that the sound & some of the ambiance invokes a lot of Bioshock.

How's that for a totally off the wall "review" of sorts? ;)

JonInMiddleGA 10-22-2009 06:53 AM

Okay, a couple of hours later and I'd say the description of Borderlands as sort of a light Fallout 3 is a pretty good one. Not nearly as intense IMO for whatever reason but still fairly -esque.

The graphics are interesting (my wife even commented how pretty they were) but I wonder how well they'll hold up to the eye after the novelty of them wears off some.

This also strikes me as a lot more shooter than RPG, and the degree of respawning is a little much for my non-shooter-guy taste even through just 7 levels. But still not bad, not bad at all.

DataKing 10-22-2009 09:23 AM

It really is more of a shooter than anything else. Whereas Fallout 3 is a RPG with shooter elements, Borderlands is a shooter with RPG elements.

Honolulu_Blue 10-22-2009 09:42 AM

Speaking of Fallout 3, I bought it on Steam a few months back when it was 50% off or something.

I just finally started playing it over the weekend. I really enjoy it. I thought the whole character generation aspect of it was really well done. I am still very, very early in the game and a bit aimless. I am having all sorts of ammo shortage problems and I am pretty much sick of giant fire-breathing ants. I was pretty close to finishing that quest, I think, but abandoned my efforts due to ammo shortage. I will re-visit it at some point.

DataKing 10-22-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2150467)
Speaking of Fallout 3, I bought it on Steam a few months back when it was 50% off or something.

I just finally started playing it over the weekend. I really enjoy it. I thought the whole character generation aspect of it was really well done. I am still very, very early in the game and a bit aimless. I am having all sorts of ammo shortage problems and I am pretty much sick of giant fire-breathing ants. I was pretty close to finishing that quest, I think, but abandoned my efforts due to ammo shortage. I will re-visit it at some point.

That quest is a difficult one, and the game typically gives it to you well before you're really equipped to handle it. Best to let the ants be for a while and come back later.

SirFozzie 10-22-2009 05:34 PM

Looks like Pre-ordering "bonuses" have gotten absolutely ridiculous.

Army Of Two II Restricts Multiplayer Mode Unless You Pre-Order - Voodoo Extreme

Gamers who pre-order Army of Two: The 40th Day now will have exclusive access to the game's all-new explosive multi-player mode, Extraction, at launch. This mode will be unlocked for all other players one month after the game ships.

That's right, fans, unless you pre-order, one of the game's core features will be denied you. And do you know how many players will remember the fact that this mode will unlock in just 30 days or so, and try it out after the exclusivity ends? That's a mighty low number right there..

Now, I don't mind pre-order bonuses such as bonus maps or weapons, but core-gameplay ideas like a whole MP Mode being restricted to pre-orders?

No.

Hell No.

FUCK NO.

Get that weak shit out of here..

RainMaker 10-22-2009 06:39 PM

That's pretty fucked up. I was on the fence on getting that game as I did have some fun with the first one. Not a chance in hell I'm preordering it now. Too many good games on the market.

JonInMiddleGA 10-22-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2150467)
I am still very, very early in the game and a bit aimless. I am having all sorts of ammo shortage problems and I am pretty much sick of giant fire-breathing ants. I was pretty close to finishing that quest, I think, but abandoned my efforts due to ammo shortage. I will re-visit it at some point.

Echoing DK here, that quest was harder for me than pretty much any other.
I was waaay past it's normal level before I completed it, got my butt thoroughly kicked & roasted on all previous attempts.

As for the ammo shortage issue, I'm not sure what the normal way to get past that hump is, since it usually comes down to a cash flow issue, but for me the trick was scav everything that wasn't nailed down & convert it to caps. Enough caps generally solves the ammo problem once you've located multiple vendors.

Big Fo 10-22-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Gamers who pre-order Army of Two: The 40th Day now will have exclusive access to the game's all-new explosive multi-player mode, Extraction, at launch. This mode will be unlocked for all other players one month after the game ships.

Ugh, that is not cool. I had no interest in the game before but now I hope it tanks.

I hope this isn't the start of an awful trend.

Calis 10-22-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2150829)
Echoing DK here, that quest was harder for me than pretty much any other.
I was waaay past it's normal level before I completed it, got my butt thoroughly kicked & roasted on all previous attempts.

As for the ammo shortage issue, I'm not sure what the normal way to get past that hump is, since it usually comes down to a cash flow issue, but for me the trick was scav everything that wasn't nailed down & convert it to caps. Enough caps generally solves the ammo problem once you've located multiple vendors.

Yep, I think you just have to push your way through it. I think Fallout 3 is a game that actually is much more difficult at the beginning than towards the middle/end. You really are a scavenger and picking your fights at the beginning, but eventually you'll get over that hump and you'll be drowning in ammo and stimpaks the rest of the game.

That ant mission is brutal also.

rowech 10-22-2009 07:03 PM

I'm now 75% of the way through Uncharted 2...I was thinking I liked the first one better but a little shy of halfway through this game just became amazing. Some of the levels are so unique and cool they just make the game a pure joy to play.

Mustang 10-22-2009 09:34 PM

In their defense, Army of Two has 4 multiplayer modes so, this is just part of it.

stevew 10-22-2009 09:58 PM

Still it is weaksauce

Not quite as lame as having to pay 7 bucks for AFL throwback jerseys.

samifan24 10-22-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2150925)
Still it is weaksauce

Not quite as lame as having to pay 7 bucks for AFL throwback jerseys.

Reebok was giving away codes for the AFL pack as recently as a few weeks ago. Check out Fat Wallet or CAG to see if it's still running.

DeToxRox 10-22-2009 10:15 PM

Sunday at Best Buy through Halloween, buy 2, get 1 free.

Mizzou B-ball fan 10-23-2009 01:20 PM

First 'Uncharted: Eye of Indra' motion comic book is up on PSN. Here's the YouTube version for those that don't have access.

Mustang 10-23-2009 01:37 PM

Was excited about the best buy ad until I saw that it looks like $58.99 or less.

DeToxRox 10-23-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang (Post 2151463)
Was excited about the best buy ad until I saw that it looks like $58.99 or less.

Looks like you're right. There are still a couple games I have been contemplating getting under 59 bucks, so I'll still do that but it is still pretty lame though not unexpected.

MizzouRah 10-23-2009 02:08 PM

FIFA 10 is the best soccer game I've ever played (which is limited) - I'm not so sure much else sports gaming wise is going to get much playing time.

I was up all night playing, had some friends over and today one of them calls me and says they picked up an x360 and the game.

The word "organic" is now a common video game term and that term fits FIFA 10 better than any sports game I've ever played - and I'm not a soccer freak.

Wow.. incredible game play and I can really tell when I'm playing with Chelsea or some low level team.

Mizzou B-ball fan 10-23-2009 02:11 PM

PS3 version of Fallout 3 available on Amazon for $20.

Fallout 3 for Playstation 3 $20 - Slickdeals.net

stevew 10-23-2009 03:21 PM

fuckin a.

My wallet hates you.

stevew 10-23-2009 03:22 PM

Yeah, buying it again, what the hell.

DataKing 10-23-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 2151540)
fuckin a.

My wallet hates you.

Problem solved.

DeToxRox 10-23-2009 03:47 PM

Just finished Uncharted 2. Total blast the entire way through. Can't recommend it enough.

SackAttack 10-24-2009 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang (Post 2151463)

$59.99 or less.

rowech 10-24-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2151554)
Just finished Uncharted 2. Total blast the entire way through. Can't recommend it enough.

Finished the game as well and I agree...very last part of the game was a bit frustrating for me though.

EagleFan 10-24-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2151554)

Had to decide between Batman: Arkham Asylum and this. Went with Batman but it pretty much sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either choice. May turn a couple trade ins into Uncharted 2 at some point.

DeToxRox 10-24-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 2151984)
Finished the game as well and I agree...very last part of the game was a bit frustrating for me though.

Yeah it took me like 45 minutes to beat it because I'd end up doing some stupid on the last go around every time and I die.

I am going to try it on very hard next (beat it on hard) and then see if I can't tackle the other difficulty that unlocks after.

rowech 10-24-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2152005)
Yeah it took me like 45 minutes to beat it because I'd end up doing some stupid on the last go around every time and I die.

I am going to try it on very hard next (beat it on hard) and then see if I can't tackle the other difficulty that unlocks after.

I got there at about 1:00 in the morning last night and figured I'd go ahead and finish the game. At 2:30 I finally got to go to bed.

DeToxRox 10-24-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 2151956)
$59.99 or less.

Is that confirmed? I could see where Mustang is coming from in that ad as the 9 in 59 looks different in the .99.

SackAttack 10-24-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2152103)
Is that confirmed? I could see where Mustang is coming from in that ad as the 9 in 59 looks different in the .99.

That's an artifact. It will be "$59.99 or less."

DeToxRox 10-24-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackAttack (Post 2152130)
That's an artifact. It will be "$59.99 or less."

Gracias.

PurdueBrad 10-25-2009 07:36 AM

I'm heading up to my Best Buy this morning (not really patient enough to wait for an on-line order to come) to buy:

NHL 10 for the 360
Uncharted 2 for the PS3

and one of the following:
inFamous
Fight Night Round 4
Demon's Souls
Smackdown vs. Raw 2010

CleBrownsfan 10-25-2009 08:57 AM

Let me know if they have Demon's Soul @ Best Buy. When I go online it looks like they don't have it in stores - only online. I may be doing the Best Buy deal to get Demon's Soul - I just don't know what other two to get.

I beat Uncharted 2 last night. Ending was pretty good - easy I thought but still good. I played some co-op last night after beating it. If anyone wants to get online sometime let me know...

Mizzou B-ball fan 10-25-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan (Post 2152432)
Let me know if they have Demon's Soul @ Best Buy. When I go online it looks like they don't have it in stores - only online. I may be doing the Best Buy deal to get Demon's Soul - I just don't know what other two to get.

I beat Uncharted 2 last night. Ending was pretty good - easy I thought but still good. I played some co-op last night after beating it. If anyone wants to get online sometime let me know...

My Best Buy had three copies yesterday. I think most places have been resupplied at this point.

Mustang 10-25-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2152103)

Thankfully it was 59.99. Although, at the time 58.99 seemed more believable and something they would do.

Too bad I couldn't get my butt out of bed to go. I'm sure the newer games were raided hard this morning at the local Best Buy given that there is someone that sells on Ebay that lives close to it.

PurdueBrad 10-25-2009 10:44 AM

I was one of a few people at Best Buy. They had tons of copies of Uncharted 2 and a good number of Demon's Soul (which I passed on but it was a tough choice).

I ended up with Uncharted 2, NHL 10, and inFamous for $126 and some change so not too bad.

DeToxRox 10-25-2009 11:26 AM

I picked up Borderlands, FIFA 10 and Need For Speed Shift for the 360.

spleen1015 10-25-2009 11:45 AM

Picked up

Fight Night on 360
Batman on 360
Need for Speed Shift on 360
Prototype on 360
Borderlands for PS3
Cooking Mama on Wii
Monopoly on Wii
Hannah Montana on Wii
Hasbro Game Night on Wii

Christmas presents for the brats.

spleen1015 10-25-2009 11:46 AM

Dola,

I was the only person there at opening and no one else was in the game section when I walked away with my loot.

samifan24 10-25-2009 12:02 PM

Is Best Buy having a big sale this weekend only or something?

DeToxRox 10-25-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2152501)
Is Best Buy having a big sale this weekend only or something?

Today through Halloween, buy 2 games, get the 3rd free on any system.

Eaglesfan27 10-25-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2152508)
Today through Halloween, buy 2 games, get the 3rd free on any system.

Thanks. I thought it was today only. May swing by once Forza 3 is out to see if I can get that and 2 others.

CleBrownsfan 10-25-2009 12:54 PM

Doesn't Toys-R-Us have this type of sale a lot of the time?

DeToxRox 10-25-2009 01:06 PM

I cannot wait for Skate 3. Not out until early 2010 but it's based on skate teams this year and you can have friends come in and out of your solo game to help you out. Their skaters then stay in the game controlled by AI when they leave.

PurdueBrad 10-25-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan (Post 2152530)

Yeah, but from what I can tell, Best Buy has a much more inclusive line of games in stock.

dervack 10-25-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan (Post 2152530)

They did a couple of weeks ago.

Scoobz0202 10-25-2009 01:34 PM

What's to prevent you from buying three games and just returning them when say... Modern Warfare 2 comes out?