Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Alright, boyz!! Here we go...FM 2007 First Impressions (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=53533)

st.cronin 05-22-2007 04:59 PM

Sorry, I don't see it. I have:

Make an Offer
Move to
Request Report
Training Schedule
Player Interaction
Discipline Player
Compare With
Misc

Toddzilla 05-22-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st.cronin (Post 1469653)
How can I terminate a loan?

If you enabled a recall, then it will be available. I know some loans you are unable to recall the player (it's an option when you negotiate the loan I think), so it may not be available to you.

st.cronin 05-22-2007 06:04 PM

No, this is a player I have loaned IN. I want to send him back to his team.

SunDevil 05-22-2007 06:16 PM

A new tactic thread by wwfan (bottom of the first post)

How To Play FM07: Tactical Design and Management Strategy

I must say Marc, that you really should put wwfan on the payroll. He really helps at least me as a new player to really get enjoyment out of this game.

Neon_Chaos 05-22-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 1469720)
A new tactic thread by wwfan (bottom of the first post)

How To Play FM07: Tactical Design and Management Strategy

I must say Marc, that you really should put wwfan on the payroll. He really helps at least me as a new player to really get enjoyment out of this game.

I second the motion.

GoDukes 05-22-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st.cronin (Post 1469708)
No, this is a player I have loaned IN. I want to send him back to his team.

Are u paying his salary? If so, that's probably why you cannot terminate.

st.cronin 05-22-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoDukes (Post 1469796)
Are u paying his salary? If so, that's probably why you cannot terminate.

No, I'm not paying his salary.

henry296 05-22-2007 08:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I agree with comments about expecting a win or expecting a performance. It feels too risky for me since I'm not 100% sure of everyone's personality. For example, how to tell if I have a cocky player. Most of team is determined, so I tend to keep my comments along with the odds. When a underdog, the pose us problems gets a good response.

I love the media interaction. Now that I'm in the Premier League (started in League 2 with Boston Utd) I get a lot more comments from other managers about my chances for relegation. I'm just about to finish my second season in the Premier League and have a safe mid-table position (12th or 13th).

FrogMan 05-22-2007 09:46 PM

I think I just experienced the craziest in-game sequence of my playing any FM version.

The backdrop: 3rd round of the FA Cup, Luton's first game, vs League Two Mansfield.

Take a look at what happened in one quick sequence, from the match report, M: means something related to Mansfield, L: means it relates to Luton
L: A freekick was awarded
M: John-Baptiste tripped Robinson
M: O'Neil kicked Steve Robinson !!
M: O'Neil was sent off !!!
M: Laurie Ellis was furious with the referee !
M: Buxton was furious with the referee !
M: Coke was furious with the referee !
L: Parkin was pushed over by Buxton !!
M: Jake Buxton was shown a yellow card
L: Barnett passed to Spring
L: Spring managed to turn on the ball
L: Spring moved the ball forward for Calvin Andrew
L: Andrew brought the ball forward
L: Andrew was tripped by John-Baptiste
L: Clive Penton gave Luton a free kick
M: The referee showed John-Baptiste a yellow card
L: Spring flighted in the free kick
L: SPRING SCORED FOR LUTON!!

To help you get a feel, Robinson, Parkin, Barnett, Spring, and Andrew all play for Luton. The others are the bad guys. ;)

When the whole "kicking the guy who's down" thing happened, I had so many flashbacks of the time I was a soccer referee, especially toward the end of my career, when I used to be more often a referee assistant than the center man. The number of times I've seen a center official just on the verge of completely losing control, man. And then the whole thing ending with a goal from 25 yards out, that was just great... :)

FM

path12 05-22-2007 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry296 (Post 1469873)
I agree with comments about expecting a win or expecting a performance. It feels too risky for me since I'm not 100% sure of everyone's personality.

This is what I love about FM. I've felt the same way at times until I remind myself, it's just a damn game!!!!

FrogMan 05-24-2007 07:08 AM

one thing I really like with FM2007 is how you can ask one of your scout to give you match reports for your players that are away on loan. Sometimes they will add tidbits of information as to why the player had a good or bad game. Nice touch.

FM

Fighter of Foo 05-24-2007 08:55 AM

Is there any trick in this year's version to be able to attract players? I was in my 2nd season with Fisher, winning the gawd-awful conference south the first season. Every time I filter for interested players, the only ones I get are worse than the crap I'm getting rid of.

I originally thought this would fix itself after we consolidated a position since we were somehow tipped for relegation pre-season, but the new year has rolled over and I'm sitting on a 90k transfer budget and no one to spend it on. A defensive midfielder from freaking Forest Green, 16th in conference south, turned me down. I'm watching player after player from my shortlist join other teams in the division, whether on loan or on transfer and it's exeptionally frustrating.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm ready to start a new game at this point.

dacman 05-24-2007 09:14 AM

It's a whole different ballgame in the transfer market as an LLM. I've never had much success buying players at Conference or Conference N/S level. I'm guessing you're probably still a semi-pro team, with a poor training ground, and a non-descript manager (you!) which puts you at a distinct disadvantage.

What I've done is to keep a sharp eye out for non-league teams making cup runs and trying to see how good their best players are. There are a few decent players you could buy that way. Otherwise, it's free transfers for you.

On free transfers -- I've always just tried to find some decent players who are without a team (don't bother to use the interested players filter). You can filter by expired contracts and one other filter not immediately coming to mind. Bring in these guys for trials, or if you like what little you can see and they're cheap, go ahead and sign them. Especially be on the lookout for guys released from the youth system of the big clubs (check their playing history). I've found a few really good players (for the LLM level) that way.

condors 05-24-2007 09:24 AM

Just want to agree with Dacman with getting big clubs leftovers

Fighter of Foo 05-24-2007 09:25 AM

The only transfer fees I've paid out were for staff. :) Picked up a few releasees from the big teams who are my top players, but they're young. All 18-21. I need a few older guys to come in and not suck, especially when we start losing.

Tried to get professional, but that didn't happen. I don't know if it can switch mid-season, but I'm down to one part time contract aside from staff who refuse to move.

I feel like Wigan right now, but with zero risk of getting relegated.

dacman 05-24-2007 09:34 AM

Try to sign 35ish y/o guys who get released -- not a great long term solution but they can still be good enough for Conf. for a year or two.

The board decides when the club turns pro -- not you -- and it only happens once a season for any team -- late June. The only thing you can do to move it along is promote to League 2 (automatic pro) or build up the club's kitty so the board feel comfortable turning pro. If you're just signing your staff/players to full-time contracts, you're actually shooting yourself in the foot vis-a-vis the second method to becoming pro as you're likely spending a lot more on wages than if everyone were still on part-time deals. Signing a few of your best young players to full-time deals can be beneficial due to the extra training time, but I wouldn't go any further than that as a semi-pro team.

Fighter of Foo 05-24-2007 10:04 AM

Still waaaaay under budget, but that's really good to know.

Many, many thanks for the help.

Marc Vaughan 05-24-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo (Post 1470925)
Is there any trick in this year's version to be able to attract players? I was in my 2nd season with Fisher, winning the gawd-awful conference south the first season. Every time I filter for interested players, the only ones I get are worse than the crap I'm getting rid of.

You're a semi-pro team most likely - this will limit the players who will be interested in joining you severely (few pro players 'want' to drop down to that level as without full-time training they're less likely to make it back up to a full-time club again).

Best bet is to target free-transfers and players with low value who are transfer listed at clubs in the division just above yours - they might decide to join you because they know they're on their way out already.

To help 'persuade' people consider giving them easy 'release' clauses to show you won't stand in their way if a professional club makes a serious approach for them.

Toddzilla 05-29-2007 08:17 AM

I know that you can boost a team by putting a line in an *.edt file that gives the team a financial boost, a prestige boost, and/or a stadium boost.

My question is, how can you handicap a team? I'd really like to make a team really bad and watch them suffer. What's the best way to do this - short of taking over the team myself ;) ?

Critch 05-29-2007 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toddzilla (Post 1473082)
I know that you can boost a team by putting a line in an *.edt file that gives the team a financial boost, a prestige boost, and/or a stadium boost.

My question is, how can you handicap a team? I'd really like to make a team really bad and watch them suffer. What's the best way to do this - short of taking over the team myself ;) ?

You could use the editor to lower their reputation, release all their players, and give them a huge debt.

DaddyTorgo 05-29-2007 08:48 AM

FM rules. I picked my game back up last night after giving it a little hiatus for a week or two...and BAM...right back into the thick of it with all the drama and goodness.

oh and umm...thanks to shrewd moves (buying low+selling high) I have a 251 million dollar transfer kitty, and no glaring weaknesses.

yeah yeah...juventus...the chelski of 2015-20??

AlexB 05-29-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 1473101)
FM rules. I picked my game back up last night after giving it a little hiatus for a week or two...and BAM...right back into the thick of it with all the drama and goodness.

oh and umm...thanks to shrewd moves (buying low+selling high) I have a 251 million dollar transfer kitty, and no glaring weaknesses.

yeah yeah...juventus...the chelski of 2015-20??

I've just picked it back up again after about a six month break, and am beginning to get back into it. Takes forever though.

The money side is one of the major problems with FM, and has been for years: it is impossible not to make millions!

Crapshoot 05-29-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts (Post 1473386)
I've just picked it back up again after about a six month break, and am beginning to get back into it. Takes forever though.

The money side is one of the major problems with FM, and has been for years: it is impossible not to make millions!

Yeah, I hate it when every mid-table side has 30 million pounds in transfer budgets. Also, I wish, especially for smaller clubs, it was clear that they have to sell to stay alive and profitable- I don't think I've ever had to sell one of my players if I didn't want to.

DaddyTorgo 05-29-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

well I had a steady climb up the wealth charts...stagnated at like #5 for a few years. But I've consistently asked for like 40+ million extra in wage budget that I didn't need. That's one of the ways I've always played...asked for way too much wage budget...that way your balance sheet stays looking good and your club rewards you with infusions of cash. works quite well if you can afford to do it and still compete.

i'm actually not even the richest club in the world...i'm in 2nd place...140 million behind Barca and 85 million ahead of Roma and Real Madrid.

Barca is worth like...874 million! After Madrid at like 652 there's another 100 million dropoff down to the next 3 clubs.

DaddyTorgo 05-29-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crapshoot (Post 1473387)
Yeah, I hate it when every mid-table side has 30 million pounds in transfer budgets. Also, I wish, especially for smaller clubs, it was clear that they have to sell to stay alive and profitable- I don't think I've ever had to sell one of my players if I didn't want to.

you mean chairmen forcing you to? I've had that happen a bunch of times.

And hell, I still go through my squad and cull it. I have a $34 million dollar DM transfer listed right now just because he's surplus. And I just offloaded a striker I bought for 21 million for 57 million. Couple years ago I bought a striker for 6 and offloaded him for 20. Wheelin and dealin is the path to the promised land brotha.

Crapshoot 05-29-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 1473405)
you mean chairmen forcing you to? I've had that happen a bunch of times.

And hell, I still go through my squad and cull it. I have a $34 million dollar DM transfer listed right now just because he's surplus. And I just offloaded a striker I bought for 21 million for 57 million. Couple years ago I bought a striker for 6 and offloaded him for 20. Wheelin and dealin is the path to the promised land brotha.

Right - what I mean is that while wheeling and dealing is fun, at no point in FM are you generally forced to let your players go from a mid-major to a star - and teams make a profit without selling. My impression is that outside the premiership, that simply doesn't exist - your average Spanish/French team needs to sell stars to balance the books.

DaddyTorgo 05-29-2007 06:47 PM

FYI...I tend to make $$ in the transfer market.

Total Value of Players Sold by Year (in millions):

2019: 107
2018: 50
2017: 0
2016: 31.5
2015: 21
2014: 9.5
2013: 26
2012: 0
2011: 12.25
2010: 4.3
2009: 39
2008: 30.5
2007: 38

So I don't know that the system is that flawed. I'm very active in the transfer market, that's for sure. Wheeling and dealing, buying and selling to make a profit. The key I think is (provided you have a strong enough squad) to sell a couple players that are more or less surplus, invest that $$ in buying up-and-comers. Keep one or two up-and-comers to improve your squad, sell the rest on once their values rise...rinse and repeat again and again.

Dunno, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir and everyone already knows that.

But I'm not sure I'd say the financial system is "broken" or anything. The "inflation %" might need a bit of tweaking, but other than that I mean...it seems pretty realistic to me. The rich get richer...the other clubs stay somewhere in the middle.

Also of note, all this $$ hasn't bought me the world or anything. I've won the league 5 times, the italian cup only twice, and only made one CL final (which I won).

Oh 2014...that was the Glory year.
Serie A, Italian Super Cup, Champions League, European Super Cup, Club World Championship

TredWel 05-29-2007 07:09 PM

Is there a bug thread somewhere where I can post this?

Playing my career last night, my team was awarded a penalty when my striker was obstructed from the ball by a defender during a corner. Not that I'm not thankful, but according to the Laws of the Game, obstruction is not a penal offence, so I should have only been awarded an IFK from the spot of the foul, even though the foul occured in the penalty area.

path12 05-29-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

I'm actually OK with that, especially as one who usually goes lower level and works my way up. I've got enough to worry about without money being 100% realistic.

Young Drachma 05-30-2007 01:53 AM

I really hope they find some way to make this game more customizable than it is now. It takes like a year (ok, not really..but a good while) to create a custom league. I'm not talking "super duper champions league", but a simple fictional league with dummy teams/players.

I know that the game is about simming real life soccer and all, so it might not ever be feasible, but...I hope it becomes a priority someday. Because..well....it'd be nice
?

Toddzilla 05-30-2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRevival (Post 1473766)
For those who want a real challenge, read the LLaMa forum over at SI and use their house rules.

Can you summarize them here, plskthx.

SunDevil 05-30-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRevival (Post 1473913)
The biggest issue is not using the search function. All staff must be had by job advert, and all players must be scouted by your scouts or offered to you. That immediately limits plucking up a bunch of "hidden gems," especially ones you've found in previous tries.

No using players/tactics suggested by others. Figure it out yourself.

No editors or 3rd party updates.

Choose a team in the lowest level of a country with more than one league available in FM. To choose a team, using Frank is appreciated.

No applying for other jobs while employed unless the club approaches you first. Always play out a team to the bitter end if necessary.

With '07, the parent/feeder club idea is being debated on the boards and is generally not used, but that's up to your discretion.

Basically house rules built in by FM players who wanted a huge challenge.

This is how I became an Eastbourne Boro fan.

Yes, I have read a couple of the threads in there, it sounds really fun. But it is also a pretty intimidating bunch of people in there as well, who do not like new people. :D

Mike1409 05-30-2007 12:36 PM

What are the chances of being able to transfer saved games from FM07 to 08. I have taken Altrincham from Conference to League 1 and won the WC with the USA in 2014. I don't think I can leave them until I get a 50,000 seat stadium and into European comps, unless my true favorite team Coventry City asks me to return them to greatness!!!

Also I was offered the Arsenal, job when I negiotiated the deal before rejecting it a week later, how come the media didn't mention it? If I would have applied they would have questioned my loyalty?

DaddyTorgo 05-30-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1409 (Post 1473963)
What are the chances of being able to transfer saved games from FM07 to 08. I have taken Altrincham from Conference to League 1 and won the WC with the USA in 2014. I don't think I can leave them until I get a 50,000 seat stadium and into European comps, unless my true favorite team Coventry City asks me to return them to greatness!!!

Also I was offered the Arsenal, job when I negiotiated the deal before rejecting it a week later, how come the media didn't mention it? If I would have applied they would have questioned my loyalty?

won't happen. no new version of CM/FM has EVER been backwards compatible.

Mike1409 05-30-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo (Post 1473966)
won't happen. no new version of CM/FM has EVER been backwards compatible.

I know it never has been done but maybe they can take some of the good things from OOTP ( saved games ,face gen) into FM?

DaddyTorgo 05-30-2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1409 (Post 1473972)
I know it never has been done but maybe they can take some of the good things from OOTP ( saved games ,face gen) into FM?

i would LOVE to see face gen in FM for regens. OMG yes

MJ4H 05-30-2007 01:44 PM

facegen is terrific.

DaddyTorgo 05-30-2007 01:46 PM

also some other ideas i think i posted in this thread, but maybe i just PMed them to MV, i'm not sure. i just remember at one point i had some damm good ideas

Mike1409 05-31-2007 12:35 PM

Here is another potentnial new idea.
Iwas having trouble getting players to come to me via loan while I was still semipro. I searched on SI's site and found this site for actual team locations.

http://www.footiemap.com/

I would love to have something like this in the game. Click on 2 teams to see the distance in between.

Critch 05-31-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike1409 (Post 1474743)
Here is another potentnial new idea.
Iwas having trouble getting players to come to me via loan while I was still semipro. I searched on SI's site and found this site for actual team locations.

http://www.footiemap.com/

I would love to have something like this in the game. Click on 2 teams to see the distance in between.

Thats a great link, it'll keep me amused for weeks. Thanks.

Coffee Warlord 05-31-2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 1473916)
Yes, I have read a couple of the threads in there, it sounds really fun. But it is also a pretty intimidating bunch of people in there as well, who do not like new people. :D

That's an understatement. Hell, I've seen them flame people mercilessly for POSTING in the tactics/strategy forums. Apparently, you cannot be in their little elite club if you post anywhere else on the boards.

SunDevil 05-31-2007 01:50 PM

Yep, made an appearance in their section yesterday to ask a question. It got a little warm in there, but I survived. The place really reminds me of the "Soup Nazi" Seinfeld episode where you walk in, order what you want, pay, and then get the hell out. :D

path12 05-31-2007 02:00 PM

My login must keep getting removed due to inactivity. I can't get in anymore and haven't bothered to re-register.

Galaril 06-01-2007 01:20 AM

Do many people play MLS leagues out? I rememeber a big gripe was that eventually the league got filled by all foreign players with a only a few players coming from the NCAA level. With feeder leagues is it been resolved? Any other issues still with feeder leagues?

SunDevil 06-01-2007 08:21 AM

link

flere-imsaho 06-01-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 1475496)

I had no idea there was something like a "merchandise feeder club". Boggle.