Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The OFFICIAL NHL 2009-10 Offseason Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=73012)

RomaGoth 08-06-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2089865)
Christ. In re-signing Jason Williams the Wings have managed to bring the hatred from Babcock normally assigned to Hudler, and the horrendous shot selection and turnover proneness from Sammy.

Yeesh.

Oh well.

At least the Wings are only paying one guy that can piss off Babcock instead of two...:D

samifan24 08-06-2009 11:11 AM

I was going to say I could never remember who Jason Williams played for and who Jeremy Williams played for but now I see Jason Williams was the Detroit/Atlanta guy and Jeremy Williams has played his entire career for Toronto. Wasn't there a Williams who played for Carolina though?

DeToxRox 08-06-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2089876)
I was going to say I could never remember who Jason Williams played for and who Jeremy Williams played for but now I see Jason Williams was the Detroit/Atlanta guy and Jeremy Williams has played his entire career for Toronto. Wasn't there a Williams who played for Carolina though?

You mean Justin Williams. He's with the Kings now.

DataKing 08-06-2009 11:33 AM

Holland knew he needed someone to catch all of Bab's evil stares, now that Jiri is gone. :)

samifan24 08-06-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2089883)
You mean Justin Williams. He's with the Kings now.

Oh, great, there are three of them:

Jason Williams
Jeremy Williams
Justin Williams

Are any of them any good? I don't really think so but I get them confused all the time so how would I know?

Wolfpack 08-06-2009 07:31 PM

Justin was good in his early years with Carolina, but had horrendous problems with injuries the last couple of years. This made him expendable for trading by JR at the last deadline, which resulted in getting Cole back from Edmonton.

RomaGoth 08-07-2009 03:51 PM

Interview with Jiri Hudler.

Hudler in Russia: 'I don't know rules regarding arbitration exactly' - Puck... - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

Galaxy 08-09-2009 11:23 AM

Patrick Kane got arrested here in Buffalo this morning.

'Hometown hero' Kane arrested for robbing cabbie : Home: The Buffalo News

samifan24 08-09-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy (Post 2091256)
Patrick Kane got arrested here in Buffalo this morning.

'Hometown hero' Kane arrested for robbing cabbie : Home: The Buffalo News

Ridiculous. They beat up a cabbie because he couldn't give them a few dollars change? What a punk.

Galaxy 08-09-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2091258)
Ridiculous. They beat up a cabbie because he couldn't give them a few dollars change? What a punk.

Not to mention is he under 21 and coming from Chippewa Street, which is our big nightlife area and the bars/clubs are open until 4 A.M., so I'm guessing he is under-age. Chippewa does a problem with serving minors.

bhlloy 08-09-2009 11:39 AM

hohoho. Bettman and Campbell must be shaking in their boots to see one of their faces of the league get in trouble like this. It's a good thing this isn't the NFL or they might actually have to do something.

I expect to see a heavy fine and a suspension for Ben Eager very soon :lol:

DeToxRox 08-09-2009 12:25 PM

I heard that about Kane too.

The only guy who might be a bigger prick then him is Phil Kessel from what I have heard.

samifan24 08-09-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2091272)
I heard that about Kane too.

The only guy who might be a bigger prick then him is Phil Kessel from what I have heard.

I'm a huge Bruins fans and I've heard that Kessel is not Mr. Personality many, many times. I always expect him to have a very whiny, nasally voice when he speaks.

Logan 08-09-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2091258)

Quote:

The pair allegedly punched the cab driver and grabbed money they had handed him after he told them he didn't have twenty cents in coins to give them their change, the report said.

Their fare was $13.80 and they handed the driver $15, according to a report.

Seems much worse than that.

samifan24 08-09-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2091325)
Seems much worse than that.

They beat up a cabbie over pocket change [edit: 20 cents]. Kane makes millions a year. Talk about disgusting.

Fidatelo 08-09-2009 10:09 PM

I used to think Keith Tkachuk was a prick. He looks positively angelic next to Kane at this point.

BishopMVP 08-09-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doucehbag owner #1
"We voted to deny approval to Mr. Balsillie because we concluded he lacks the good character and integrity required of a new owner" under NHL bylaws, said Jeremy Jacobs

Go fuck yourself Jeremy Jacobs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4385939
The NHL said it also questioned Balsillie on statements he made to a reporter in November 2008 that the Montreal Canadiens were for sale. Canadiens owner George Gillett responded that the team was not for sale, "but the story led to a media storm that damaged the Canadiens franchise," Jacobs said.In June, seven months after Balsillie's comments, Gillett announced an agreement in principal to sell the Canadiens to the Molson brewing family.

This is a joke at this point. I hope Balsillie smokes those arrogant old boys club in court.

samifan24 08-09-2009 10:58 PM

Speaking of Jeremy Jacobs, someone on Twitter posted that the Bruins have increased ticket prices 95% overall over the last two seasons.

Pyser 08-10-2009 12:20 AM

i generally dont care about who owns what team, but i honestly have been hoping very hard that balsille gets a team

of course, really, if you want hockey to get better, just do the opposite of whatever bettman says

Fidatelo 08-10-2009 07:23 AM

I wish Mark Cuban would buy an NHL team, that would shake things up for the better. As for Balsillie, I'm not sold on him, but I'm not against him either.

Dr. Sak 08-10-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyser (Post 2091479)
i generally dont care about who owns what team, but i honestly have been hoping very hard that balsille gets a team

of course, really, if you want hockey to get better, just do the opposite of whatever bettman says

I just want some more teams in Canada. It's pretty obvious that Phoenix and a few other of the warm cities (Florida Panthers) aren't working too well. Move them into Canada.

RomaGoth 08-10-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyser (Post 2091479)

:+1:

Dr. Sak 08-10-2009 08:36 AM

Further proof the Flyers should've won the lottery that year and got Kane.

Apathetic Lurker 08-10-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2091532)
I just want some more teams in Canada. It's pretty obvious that Phoenix and a few other of the warm cities (Florida Panthers) aren't working too well. Move them into Canada.

Bettman will never move those teams north. If he does, he acknowledges that it was a failed experiment and the NHL is on par with the CLF expansion down south some years ago and that the NHL is a second rate league.

Fidatelo 08-10-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker (Post 2091564)
Bettman will never move those teams north. If he does, he acknowledges that it was a failed experiment and the NHL is on par with the CLF expansion down south some years ago and that the NHL is a second rate league.

And yet the CFL is kicking ass and taking names in recent years, primarily because it got out of the US and just focused on targeting the product at people that actually want it.

Apathetic Lurker 08-10-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidatelo (Post 2091639)
And yet the CFL is kicking ass and taking names in recent years, primarily because it got out of the US and just focused on targeting the product at people that actually want it.

True, but in a majority of peoples minds, the CFL is a poor distant second to the NFL(something I dont agree with)

samifan24 08-10-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker (Post 2091657)
True, but in a majority of peoples minds, the CFL is a poor distant second to the NFL(something I dont agree with)

Talent wise there's no comparison, really.

JonInMiddleGA 08-10-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker (Post 2091657)

Yeah, it's not even close to being second. That'd be college football.

DataKing 08-10-2009 12:36 PM

Blackhawks PR staff sure is earning their money this off-season.

sterlingice 08-10-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DataKing (Post 2091701)
Blackhawks PR staff sure is earning their money this off-season.

SI

DataKing 08-10-2009 01:34 PM

??

sterlingice 08-10-2009 01:41 PM

I was meaning the Hawks, not you ;)

SI

DataKing 08-10-2009 01:44 PM

Ahh OK...got it now. :D

Now I'm just trying to figure out who has had the worse off-season, the Blackhawks or the Broncos?

watravaler 08-10-2009 02:28 PM

Pretty stupid(Kane and his cousin arguing over 20 cents with a cabbie), but he gets one pass due to his age. He still looks 13 for crying out loud. With that being said, he always comes across as a douche/insincere in interviews, and he cleary has the maturity of 13 year old, even if he plays the game like vet at times. The cabbie will want to settle out of court, and I hope he gets a nice check from Kane that hopefully teaches the kid a thing or two and forces him to grow up, just a bit...

For the record, I think the Hawks have had a solid off-season, not with off the ice issues, of course, but they added an elite talent, and they will be a better team than last year. As long as Bowman's kid isn't a total moran, it's all but impossible to screw this up thanks to the Hawks stock-piling of talent over the past 6 years.

BishopMVP 08-10-2009 02:41 PM

F that. You don't get a pass for drunkenly beating up a cabbie over 20 cents regardless of age.

Honolulu_Blue 08-10-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watravaler (Post 2091805)
Pretty stupid(Kane and his cousin arguing over 20 cents with a cabbie), but he gets one pass due to his age. He still looks 13 for crying out loud.

I am not exactly sure what "gets one pass" means. I don't care if he looks 13 or 43, sure, he's young, but he's 20 years old and an adult. While, he might get "one pass" because he's never run afoul of the law before, his age isn't the issue.

Quote:

For the record, I think the Hawks have had a solid off-season, not with off the ice issues, of course, but they added an elite talent, and they will be a better team than last year. As long as Bowman's kid isn't a total moran, it's all but impossible to screw this up thanks to the Hawks stock-piling of talent over the past 6 years.

I agree that the Hawks are better than they were last year, but they are going to be in a very tough position after this season. If they win the Cup, it's all good and it was worth it.

Even if Bowman's kid is a genius, the Hawks stock-piling of talent over the past 6 years and the generous contracts Tallon has dolled out over the past 3 years (Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Campbel, Barker, Sopel, and Huet) are going to come to a head after next year. Tough choices will need to be made and it will be interesting to see what affect this dispute of 20 cents will have, if any, on what the Blackhawks decide to do...

RainMaker 08-10-2009 03:13 PM

I would disagree about their offseason. They signed Hossa without giving him a physical (he's going to be out the first couple months). The league is now investigating that contract. Kane gets into a dumb incident. GM forgot to fill out paperwork correctly and cost the Hawks money. Owner gets booed at the Hawks convention.

RomaGoth 08-10-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

...With that being said, he always comes across as a douche/insincere in interviews, and he cleary has the maturity of 13 year old, even if he plays the game like vet at times...

What does Dan Cleary have to do with this? I know he was a "busted" draft pick for the BlackHawks, but c'mon....;)

RomaGoth 08-10-2009 03:49 PM

Looks like Kane has other experiences with cab drivers. Not sure if this other incident is him being a smart ass or just offering a genuinely good tip...

Icing: A memory of Blackhawks' Kane and a cab driver

Chief Rum 08-10-2009 05:07 PM

You know, "20 Cent" Kane sorta rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? Or we could call him "Two Dime" or "Two Dime Crime".

Haven't read the article, but saw that no actual alcohol related charges seem to have been pressed, which you would think would practically be an automatic for someone under 21 (just a hint of inebriation would get a charge). That makes me think (unless you guys are reading something in the article that clearly states it) that Kane was actually sober for all of this. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Apathetic Lurker 08-10-2009 05:23 PM

F-Kane

Suburban Rhythm 08-10-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2091556)
Further proof the Flyers should've won the lottery that year and got Kane.

They did tank for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2091816)
I agree that the Hawks are better than they were last year, but they are going to be in a very tough position after this season. If they win the Cup, it's all good and it was worth it.

Even if Bowman's kid is a genius, the Hawks stock-piling of talent over the past 6 years and the generous contracts Tallon has dolled out over the past 3 years (Hossa, Sharp, Bolland, Versteeg, Byfuglien, Campbel, Barker, Sopel, and Huet) are going to come to a head after next year. Tough choices will need to be made and it will be interesting to see what affect this dispute of 20 cents will have, if any, on what the Blackhawks decide to do...

The Hawks are up against it next year. $43M in contracts to 12 players...and none of those 12 is Kane, Toews, or Keith. Even if the cap stayed at $56M, to get those 3 for a combined $13M would be a steal...and still need to fill in another 6-7 spots.

Dr. Sak 08-10-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2091871)
They did tank for it.

One year does not make a tank. If you want to check out a team that tanked see who had top 5 picks for at least 4 years in a row. And traded their stars for the Kris Beeches of the world.

Galaxy 08-10-2009 10:23 PM

Sabres are brining back Mike Grier for a 1-year deal.

RomaGoth 08-11-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy (Post 2092194)
Sabres are brining back Mike Grier for a 1-year deal.

Wouldn't have minded seeing him with the Wings. Oh well.

Honolulu_Blue 08-11-2009 09:30 AM

Well, in the least surprising news of the off-season so far, Zherdev has signed with a KHL team.

RomaGoth 08-11-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2089099)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2092390)
Well, in the least surprising news of the off-season so far, Zherdev has signed with a KHL team.

Yep.

Logan 08-11-2009 10:43 AM

Good job setting market value, Mr. Arbitrator!

Maple Leafs 08-11-2009 02:50 PM

Ping: bsak
Robert Esche, the supermarket*goalie - From The Rink

RomaGoth 08-11-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2092739)

Good thing he made that save or the baby in front would have bit it.