Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   American Idol 2007 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=56028)

Ksyrup 03-13-2007 10:32 PM

I missed tonight's show completely. On the plus side, it was Diana Ross week, and I met Bob Feller and Trot Nixon today...

FBPro 03-13-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solecismic (Post 1418155)
8. Haley Scarnato. She cried. She's even pretty when she cries.

Who will be bottom three: Sanjaya, Stephanie and Brandon.

Who will go: Brandon.

Who should go: Sanjaya.

Concur!!

mtolson 03-13-2007 11:17 PM

Jim sum's up my feeling about Chris 1000%. He has been off key every week. I would much rather see him in the bottom 3 then Stephanie. But Brandon, he's making it on hype at this point. He has done nothing at all. Haley, poor Haley. NOt only did she forget that part of the song that would have really allowed her to stretch her vocals, her cover up was really bad. That's that longest I have ever seen someone on the show go with forgetting the words.

Melinda is starting to annoy me a little, with the 'Gee Wally' bit. At this point, she has got to know how well she can sing. I am starting to think she downplayed her singing ability a little in the auditions to make sure she got in. I would really like to know who she sang backup for.

mtolson 03-13-2007 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtolson (Post 1418214)
Jim sum's up my feeling about Chris 1000%. He has been off key every week. I would much rather see him in the bottom 3 then Stephanie. But Brandon, he's making it on hype at this point. He has done nothing at all. Haley, poor Haley. NOt only did she forget that part of the song that would have really allowed her to stretch her vocals, her cover up was really bad. That's that longest I have ever seen someone on the show go with forgetting the words.

Melinda is starting to annoy me a little, with the 'Gee Wally' bit. At this point, she has got to know how well she can sing. I am starting to think she downplayed her singing ability a little in the auditions to make sure she got in. I would really like to know who she sang backup for.

Damn, check out Melinda's credits in allmusic.com. She has sung backup for some extremely talented and well known gospel singers. Even more ironic, she is listed as singing vocal backing on one of George Huffs CD's.

Fouts 03-14-2007 04:05 AM

I thought Jordin was great tonight. Other than that, nothing too exciting.

Mota 03-14-2007 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 1418143)
Could also be that there are only so many artists who have twelve songs recognizable by a large cross-section of the audience.

Maybe they shouldn't drill down to such fine details and make them sing songs from a single artist. I'm a bigger fan of 60's, 70's, etc, because it gives all the singers a chance to pick a song that suits their style.

Imagine next week if they picked "songs from Black Sabbath", and then watch those divas crumble.

Too biased for me.

Eaglesfan27 03-14-2007 08:22 AM

I agree with almost everything Jim said, except I think it will be Chris Sligh to go in a surprise and that Brandon will just avoid the bottom 3.

lordscarlet 03-14-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 1418143)
Could also be that there are only so many artists who have twelve songs recognizable by a large cross-section of the audience.

This is why it should be a theme night, not artist night. There are plenty of rock artists that could be covered, but you never see it.

cuervo72 03-14-2007 09:16 AM

Yeah, but they need to have the whole mentoring by a legend crap, and I'm sure Diana is either trying to sell something or otherwise needs her ego stroked.

lordscarlet 03-14-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuervo72 (Post 1418430)
Yeah, but they need to have the whole mentoring by a legend crap, and I'm sure Diana is either trying to sell something or otherwise needs her ego stroked.

They have a "star" for "British Invasion Week." Why not have a motown week with Diana Ross? I realize her career extends beyond that, but it would be excuse enough.

lordscarlet 03-14-2007 09:36 AM

dola: does anyone have the theme list for this year? They announced it weeks ago, but I couldn't find it online.

lordscarlet 03-14-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1400761)
Any thoughts about the guest judges?

Diana Ross
Jon Bon Jovi
Jennifer Lopez
Gwen Stefani
Tony Bennett
Martina McBride
Lu Lu and Peter Noone (British Invasion night)
Barry Gibb

Wow. I'm glad I didn't say what I was going to. "It's not like they have a Bon Jovi week." :D

Eaglesfan27 03-14-2007 04:19 PM

Does anyone else think it is awkward when Jordin bends down to be the same height with Ryan? I suspect it is due to her own discomfort with her height (which isn't uncommon in tall teenage females) but I sort of expected her to stop doing that by now.

Logan 03-14-2007 04:52 PM

No comments on Simon telling Seacrest to come out of the closet? That was great.

sabotai 03-14-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1418884)
No comments on Simon telling Seacrest to come out of the closet? That was great.

I heard that on Opie and Anthony this morning. That was hilarious.

Flasch186 03-14-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtolson (Post 1418214)

nail meet head.

Someone in her camp better get her to evolve weekly from here on out or else the people, like me, that bought into her low self esteem will start to turn off.

adubroff 03-14-2007 06:55 PM

Anybody look at the DialIdol site this week? Results are pretty suprising to me....

Logan 03-14-2007 07:04 PM

I think the site's top 3 will be pretty consistent for awhile. Don't forget about the margin of error.

wade moore 03-14-2007 07:14 PM

Just watched it finally...

I agree for the most part with Jim's ratings except that I enjoy Chris Richardson and I imagine he'll do well for awhile... Keep in mind that I don't have anywhere near the "musical ear" that a lot of people on here do and I look more for what I enjoy the most - and that is probably a fairer way to look at how voting goes in these things at times.

FBPro 03-14-2007 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adubroff (Post 1418971)
Anybody look at the DialIdol site this week? Results are pretty suprising to me....

No kidding

wade moore 03-14-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adubroff (Post 1418971)

Interesting.

wade moore 03-14-2007 08:06 PM

1) Why doesn't Haley sing like that when she's up there by herself?
2) Is it too late to take back my comments about not ever being attracted to Gina?

lordscarlet 03-14-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore (Post 1419028)
2) Is it too late to take back my comments about not ever being attracted to Gina?

Seriously. I was thinking the same thing last night. And I was the biggest hater here.

adubroff 03-14-2007 08:41 PM

Interesting that DialIdol showed Svenjaya top 3 and he was actually bottom 3. I think they did have Brandon as in jeopardy.

Thomkal 03-14-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 1418859)
Does anyone else think it is awkward when Jordin bends down to be the same height with Ryan? I suspect it is due to her own discomfort with her height (which isn't uncommon in tall teenage females) but I sort of expected her to stop doing that by now.

I didn't take it that way at all. I thought she was making fun of Ryan's height, which has been a running theme on Idol. I thought it was cute the first couple times she did it, especially when Ryan caught her, but the cuteness is wearing off for me and she should probably stop.

wade moore 03-14-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordscarlet (Post 1419049)
Seriously. I was thinking the same thing last night. And I was the biggest hater here.

That statement was influenced more by her Tuesday night performance that I watched earlier tonight.

Crim 03-14-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1418884)

Scripted. They went back and forth about 3 times each, and every comeback was a good-to-decent one liner. Simon, maybe, but Ryan's not that quick on his feet, and Ryan has shown a few times over the years that he shuts down a bit when Simon gets a good zinger in on him. This was not improv, it was rehearsed.

Crim 03-14-2007 09:48 PM

Dola, and, because I haven't spouted this in a while... I farging can't stand Paula.

primelord 03-14-2007 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore (Post 1418982)
Keep in mind that I don't have anywhere near the "musical ear" that a lot of people on here do and I look more for what I enjoy the most

Plus you have a Justin Timberlake poster on your bedroom wall.

Crim 03-14-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primelord (Post 1419102)

:D

wade moore 03-14-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primelord (Post 1419102)

Haha...

I can honestly say that I do not own a single Justin Timberlake song.. .I don't even have to use the "it's my fiance's" like I do with some other music, no Timberlake in this house!

lordscarlet 03-14-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crim (Post 1419098)
Scripted. They went back and forth about 3 times each, and every comeback was a good-to-decent one liner. Simon, maybe, but Ryan's not that quick on his feet, and Ryan has shown a few times over the years that he shuts down a bit when Simon gets a good zinger in on him. This was not improv, it was rehearsed.

Yeah, Ryan sucks with the one-liners. We haven't seen him give a good zinger on any guests or anything this year.

Ksyrup 03-14-2007 10:54 PM

So I missed it again tonight, but I gather that Brandon went home? Bar none, THE most disappointing AI contestant from any season I've watched.

wade moore 03-14-2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1419131)
So I missed it again tonight, but I gather that Brandon went home? Bar none, THE most disappointing AI contestant from any season I've watched.

Yup.

My immediate reaction was that in a twisted way, he almost deserved to go home more than Sanjaya - because he has just underperformed so consistently.

Danny 03-14-2007 11:24 PM

Im glad Brandon is gone. He had showed enough talent early on to actually get me to watch his performances. I already knew to fast forward through Sanjaya.

Crim 03-14-2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore (Post 1419134)
Yup.

My immediate reaction was that in a twisted way, he almost deserved to go home more than Sanjaya - because he has just underperformed so consistently.

""

Plus, I like Suckjaya just because it's fun watching Paula struggle to say something vaguely positive after another of his trainwrecks!

Danny 03-14-2007 11:31 PM

Also, I actually miss having Sundance in the competition. He made some poor decisions, but his voice was unique to the competition and he did have some talent

Fouts 03-15-2007 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny (Post 1419148)
Also, I actually miss having Sundance in the competition. He made some poor decisions, but his voice was unique to the competition and he did have some talent

Me too.

Everytime Sanjaya is told that he isn't going home, he has a guilty look on his face. Or maybe thats his normal face. I haven't decided if he is worse than Kevin Covais.

FWIW, I liked Sligh's version of Endless Love, but didn't care for what Blake Lewis did with his song.

Vinatieri for Prez 03-15-2007 03:43 AM

Since pretty much everyone sucks, I watch strictly to see Haley perform. When she's gone, I mostly likely will be gone too.

wade moore 03-15-2007 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crim (Post 1419147)
""

Plus, I like Suckjaya just because it's fun watching Paula struggle to say something vaguely positive after another of his trainwrecks!

I do have to agree with Simon though - that is one brave 17 year old. Either brave, or really, REALLY oblivious.

Eaglesfan27 03-15-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

I told you she had potential.

Logan 03-15-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crim (Post 1419098)

I'll give you that the whole "high heels..." "stay out of my closet" could have been fed to him, but there is no doubt in my mind that Simon busted the "come out" on his own. The only consistent theme from this season besides the guys sucking is Ryan trying to show the world he's straight with his out-of-place "hottie" and "babe" comments toward the girls. There's no way he would have agreed to let Simon tell him that, and end it there.

Pumpy Tudors 03-15-2007 07:55 AM

i just want gina to love me
is that too much to ask
i want her to come over to my house
and maybe we can play connect four
for a while
i'll probably have to change my pants
twice
before she can even connect three
but thats ok
because my plan
my grand plan
is to connect two
but then my wife will read this
and she'll kick me out
and i'll have to spend
the rest of my life playing
connect one

JeeberD 03-15-2007 08:06 AM

Quote:

Stay away from my woman, dammit... ;)

wade moore 03-15-2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 1419243)
I told you she had potential.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeberD (Post 1419264)
Stay away from my woman, dammit... ;)

I am late to the party, so I guess I have to relinquish ;)...

cuervo72 03-15-2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crim (Post 1419147)
""

She could go with the standard "well, you're a really pretty girl" line...

Pumpy Tudors 03-15-2007 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 1419257)
i just want gina to love me
is that too much to ask
i want her to come over to my house
and maybe we can play connect four
for a while
i'll probably have to change my pants
twice
before she can even connect three
but thats ok
because my plan
my grand plan
is to connect two
but then my wife will read this
and she'll kick me out
and i'll have to spend
the rest of my life playing
connect one

Sorry, guys, I meant to post this in my private blog, not here. That bitch SkyDog took away my edit button, too.

Ksyrup 03-15-2007 09:34 AM

In a strange way, Sanjaya still being on the show over Brandon makes sense, since as a component of the TV show (and not necessarily the competition), Sanjaya has provided far more entertainment value than Brandon.

I'd say, off the top of my head and from the seasons I've watched, the worst, "furthest over their heads" contestants are:

1. John Stevens
2. Sanjaya
3. John Peter Lewis
4. Mikaylah Gordon

Ksyrup 03-15-2007 10:02 AM

Dola.

Upon further reflection, I wonder if I should re-title this thread to "Brandon Rogers Looking Great in the Auditions."

wade moore 03-15-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1419342)
Dola.

Upon further reflection, I wonder if I should re-title this thread to "Brandon Rogers Looking Great in the Auditions."

A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

I think that's a perfect way to explain the situation.