Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   American Idol 2008 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=63788)

RedKingGold 03-19-2008 09:39 PM

Ding, dong. The witch is dead.

Eaglesfan27 03-19-2008 10:07 PM

Ryan's comments about Kellie were sophomoric, but they cracked me up.

Ksyrup 03-19-2008 10:10 PM

What a great night. Carly in the bottom 3 AND Amanda goes home.

The real winners are the people who will be buying tickets to the tour. No Amanda.

Drake 03-19-2008 10:24 PM

I thought Carly's reaction when Ryan told her she could have a seat was enormously instructive. That is a girl with serious self-esteem issues. Having her "next teen sensation" experience may have been the worst possible thing that could have happened to her from a development standpoint.

And to boggle you further, I have to say this: I really can't stand country music as a genre, but I was startled by how believable Kellie Pickler was as a performing artist. It almost makes me begin to suspect that these American Idol people know what they're doing when they winnow the contestants down to the final 24.

korme 03-19-2008 10:26 PM

I'm on tape delay here, watching Tuesday performances right now... I can't believe Simon didn't like Carly's performance, I thought that right there put her head and shoulders above everybody.

Ksyrup 03-19-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 1687698)
And to boggle you further, I have to say this: I really can't stand country music as a genre, but I was startled by how believable Kellie Pickler was as a performing artist. It almost makes me begin to suspect that these American Idol people know what they're doing when they winnow the contestants down to the final 24.

My wife and I both thought Pickles was trying to sound like Dolly Parton, instead of like herself. But then again, most country singers try to add some sort of forced infliction to their voice, which is one of the reasons I can't stand that type of music.

I can say this, having sat through a LeeAnn Rimes concert - she may not have Rimes' voice, but at least she doesn't stand dead still for 45 minutes and pass it off as a "concert performance." LeeAnn Rimes makes Kristy Lee Cook look like Tina Turner by comparison.

Drake 03-19-2008 10:37 PM

I'm trying to picture you at a LeeAnn Rimes concert without giggling.

Hold on.

Drake 03-19-2008 10:37 PM

Nope, still no luck.

Drake 03-19-2008 10:39 PM

Man, I suck. Just can't do it.

Carry on.

Ksyrup 03-19-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 1687706)
I'm trying to picture you at a LeeAnn Rimes concert without giggling.

Hold on.

I think this explains it best:

Drake 03-19-2008 10:44 PM

She's really let herself go. I used to think she just had fat thighs, but now she looks like a dude, I swear!

;)

Ksyrup 03-19-2008 10:45 PM

It was the tour she did with Bryan White. My wife was a big Bryan White fan for some reason. I bought her tickets for Christmas. Rimes' band was awesome, actually, which made her performance all the more bizarre. They were energetic, running around the stage, and she literally did not move one time from where the techs placed her mic stand.

I've also seen Debbie Gibson in concert, for a high school girlfriend. That one was worth it, too, but in a far shorter-term way...

Drake 03-19-2008 10:48 PM

Hell, I'd have gone to see Debbie Gibson in concert in high school. I probably would have licked the polish off her toenails if I could have gotten close enough to the stage.

Drake 03-19-2008 10:52 PM

dola...

That was right before the period in which I realized that an even greater fantasy was to have Axl Rose drip his whiskey sweat all over me.

In a completely hardcore, heavy metal, heterosexual way, I mean.

Ksyrup 03-19-2008 11:06 PM

BTW, the opening song medley was soooo bad. Multiple terrible vocals, Ramiele's mic apparently didn't work, someone bumped a cameraman, and I'm pretty sure Amanda's mic was turned off until she sang that last part. She was hardly trying to lip sync through most of it.

korme 03-19-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1686878)
I have no idea what to think of last night. Overall, really really bad.

-I did not like Blackbird, but I also can't stand Carly - why the hell does she insist on showing off her freaking tattoo every week? - and the spin she tried to put on the song's meaning as a way for people to feel sorry for her that she hasn't made it in the music industry yet? Galling.

It isn't showing off so much as it is "just wearing a sleeveless top"

Ksyrup 03-20-2008 06:35 AM

When you have something that ugly and prominent on your arm, continuing to wear sleeveless shirts/blouses is the same as making a conscious decision to show off your tattoo.

Anyway, I'm glad she was in the bottom 3. It's one of those things where you wonder if this was done to prompt a sudden surge of fans for her, but who knows. Unless she completely bombs, I expect her to not be in the bottom 3 next week thanks to a flood of fans calling to "rescue" her. But no one aside from David A has built a decent fan base, so it may just be that she has a big enough base to get her into the top 8-10, but in the bigger picture, there aren't THAT many people who want to see her succeed. I reacted negatively to her attempt to twist her industry history into a sympathy ploy; perhaps voters did, too.

Pumpy Tudors 03-20-2008 07:53 AM

The whole Kellie Pickler appearance pissed me off. The only reason to look forward to her performance was boobs, and you couldn't see shit with that dress of hers. I'm done with American Idol. I'm done. Unless they can promise Kathy Griffin on "Idol Gives Back" or whatever it's called, I'll never watch again.

Oh, wait. It'll still be on my TV twice a week because I think my wife wants to snuggle Jason Castro.

Drake 03-20-2008 07:56 AM

"my wife"

Ksyrup 03-20-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 1687808)
Unless they can promise Kathy Griffin on "Idol Gives Back" or whatever it's called

That would be called Idol Gives Up.

Pumpy Tudors 03-20-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 1687811)
"my wife"

Hey, you can have her. Just be ready for some hot hot four-way action with her, Jason Castro, and a blonde nurse who doubles as an Arena Football cheerleader.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1687817)
That would be called Idol Gives Up.

OK NOW THAT JUST HURTS

Ksyrup 03-20-2008 08:48 AM

Idol Throws Back?

Idol Throws Up?

I'm trying my best to work with what you're giving me...

Pumpy Tudors 03-20-2008 08:52 AM

I am so fucking done.

Ksyrup 03-20-2008 09:07 AM

THIS.....

is American Gargoyle!

Pumpy Tudors 03-20-2008 09:12 AM

pretty much strangling myself now etc

Ksyrup 03-20-2008 09:17 AM

Taking a break from Pumpy abuse...

I might have missed the official announcement since I was FFing through most of last night, but the 4 mentors this year are Mariah Carey, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Dolly Parton, and Neil Diamond. I'm thinking perhaps songs from Ringo Starr's solo career might be preferable to some of those.

EDIT: I guess Mariah isn't next week. It's songs from the year the contestants were born. And Kimberly Locke will be singing on the results show. Hopefully she'll do In-a-gadda-da-vida so they won't have time for the Ford commercial and call in segments of the show.

Drake 03-20-2008 09:39 AM

I like Neil Diamond

Ksyrup 03-20-2008 09:46 AM

On that list, I'd put him at #1.

JeeberD 03-20-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1687855)
Andrew Lloyd Webber

Seeing Amanda perform during Broadway Week would have been GOLD, dammit.. :(

korme 03-20-2008 10:44 AM

Ksyrup, I think you are cuckoo about Carly. Just sayin'.

Drake 03-20-2008 10:44 AM

You know, if they can get Neil Diamond, why hasn't there been a Billy Joel week?

MJ4H 03-20-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 1687930)
You know, if they can get Neil Diamond, why hasn't there been a Billy Joel week?

That is an excellent question.

Drake 03-20-2008 10:58 AM

I suppose it could be because he's gone bald and gained like 500 lbs.

rkmsuf 03-20-2008 11:02 AM

Man I was hoping that one of those live calls would be someone saying "Bababooey, Bababooey!"

Then I relized they probably weren't really live.

Ksyrup 03-20-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty3281 (Post 1687929)
Ksyrup, I think you are cuckoo about Carly. Just sayin'.

Oh, I know she's good. I just don't like her.

JeeberD 03-20-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkmsuf (Post 1687952)
Then I relized they probably weren't really live.

You can hear them reacting to the answers. Seems live to me...

rkmsuf 03-20-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeberD (Post 1687989)
You can hear them reacting to the answers. Seems live to me...

I must have missed the reactions. The first two just asked questions and were never heard from again. Then I threw up and changed the channel.

ISiddiqui 03-20-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Cause didn't they have one last season or two seasons ago?

Swaggs 03-20-2008 12:01 PM

I think they may have done an episode of songs written by Billy Joel awhile ago. I seem to recall him being on the show (via video, not live), but it was before the current "mentor" format.

Quote:

Swaggs 03-20-2008 12:13 PM

I checked wikipedia to make sure I wasn't crazy and found that there was a Billy Joel week during Season 2.

Quote:

Top 7 (Billy Joel)
Kimberly Caldwell - It's Still Rock and Roll to Me

Ruben Studdard - Just the Way You Are

Kimberley Locke - New York State of Mind

Carmen Rasmusen - And So It Goes

Josh Gracin - Piano Man

Trenyce - Baby Grand

Clay Aiken - Tell Her About It

Result show - The Longest Time

Bottom 3: Kimberly, Carmen, Trenyce

Bottom 2: Kimberly, Carmen

Eliminated: Kimberly

I remember this season pretty well because it was right after my wife and I got married and we had a ton of snow that winter, so we watched way more TV than we should have.

Logan 03-20-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs (Post 1688017)
I remember this season pretty well because it was right after my wife and I got married and we had a ton of snow that winter, so we watched way more TV than we should have.

Snowed-in newlyweds spending all that time watching TV? Say it isn't so...

Pumpy Tudors 03-20-2008 12:21 PM

After seeing the list of contestants who did the Billy Joel week (I didn't watch that season at all), I'm starting to wonder who decides which contestants get to go by a single name throughout the competition. Apparently, that season had a Trenyce, and that was followed by Fantasia. Two seasons later, there's Mandisa. Now, there's Chikezie. It's not like any of these people had last names that were hard to pronounce, and only Chikezie's could be considered exotic at all.

I wish I was young enough to be on the show. I'd want them to just call me Pumpy.

Drake 03-20-2008 12:24 PM

Thanks for doing that research, Swaggs. I didn't really start watching Idol until Season 5, so it looks like (horribile dictu!) I missed it.

Dr. Sak 03-20-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs (Post 1688017)

If that's what you kids call it these days...

Dr. Sak 03-20-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 1687870)
I like Neil Diamond

Me too

ISiddiqui 03-20-2008 12:33 PM

Ah, now I remember the Billy Joel week very well. That was when Kimberley Locke had just an amazing performance and I think that was the first time any one saw her as challenging for the title (though I think people thought no way was she going to catch Ruben and Clay).

JeeberD 03-20-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ISiddiqui (Post 1688038)
Kimberley Locke had just an amazing performance and I think that was the first time any one saw her as challenging for the title

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggs
Eliminated: Kimberly

Sucks for her...

Ksyrup 03-20-2008 12:37 PM

That list says Kimberly was voted off, but there were two of them.

I think we picked up watching this show sporadically during Season 2. But I don't remember this week, even if I saw it.

rkmsuf 03-20-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1687855)
EDIT: I guess Mariah isn't next week. It's songs from the year the contestants were born. And Kimberly Locke will be singing on the results show. Hopefully she'll do In-a-gadda-da-vida so they won't have time for the Ford commercial and call in segments of the show.

Maybe Archuletta will do "Baby Got Back" from 1992.

JeeberD 03-20-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksyrup (Post 1688044)
That list says Kimberly was voted off, but there were two of them.

Gotcha...