Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2009 NCAA Tournament Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=71323)

RainMaker 03-20-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1974383)
A couple of postscript notes from today's UT loss and why I said it seemed so familiar.
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/...s/?partner=RSS

The Vols ranked last of the 65-team tournament field on 3-point shooting percentage – and yet 33 of their 56 attempts against Oklahoma State were behind the arc. They made 11.

Their inability to defend penetrating guards rose up to bite them one last time. Oklahoma State shot 56.6 percent from the field. Eaton, the Cowboys’ hero, was 70 percent (7-of-10).

Maybe this game was lost when the Vols were downgraded to a No. 9 seed on Selection Sunday. The 8-9 game is, by definition, supposed to be a nail-biter.

Nail-biters have been another of UT’s issues. Since Maze’s game-winner at Arkansas on Feb. 4, the Vols are 0-4 in games decided by three or fewer points.

I know Pearl has had success wherever he's gone, but it just seems like with that talent, Tennessee should be much better. His system doesn't seem to benefit good players. I think he's better off at either a mid-major or lower tier power conference school that can't land blue chippers.

sterlingice 03-20-2009 09:43 PM

Wake clawing back into their game with Cleveland State- they ended the half on a 9-2 run but are still down 39-30.

SI

Noop 03-20-2009 09:44 PM

I need Wake to win and Florida State to apply the throttle in the second half.

sterlingice 03-20-2009 09:45 PM

Oh, and with that little look-in on Wisconsin, I'm reminded how ugly mediocre Big 10 basketball can be. Good Big 10 basketball is fine but that's just ugly- 19 points at the half.

SI

JonInMiddleGA 03-20-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 1974387)
I know Pearl has had success wherever he's gone, but it just seems like with that talent, Tennessee should be much better. His system doesn't seem to benefit good players. I think he's better off at either a mid-major or lower tier power conference school that can't land blue chippers.

He probably only has 2, possibly three, legit blue chip sort of players right now. Tyler Smith is a quality player at this level, Chism can be (minus his shot selection & taking the occasional trip off), and Cameron Tatum appears on his way to turning into one.

Beyond that, Tabb is a role player, Maze too often looks like a joke as a power conference PG, Prince is an Idunnowhat but whiny bitch with zero court sense and a sense of entitlement comes to mind, Hopson there's still some hope for but I'm neither entirely sold on him nor ready to give up on him. The rest are role players at best.

What most had in common were good press clippings coming in but there's not much evidence that there as good as advertised. There's a good bit of general athleticism but the almost complete lack of court sense is downright disturbing, it'd be hard to recruit a group that appears to have a lower basketball IQ if you tried. And I believe there's still some character issues on the roster, if not in terms of criminal behavior at least in terms of work ethic.

What has me concerned is whether Pearl actually has the ability to coach players up to the next level, or to coax them into performing in spite of whatever flaws they have. If he doesn't then he needs to recruit players without so many of those flaws but I'm not sure his ego will allow for that, although if it doesn't then his fate is already sealed short of finding assistants who can cover those shortcomings. He's been awfully good for the UT basketball program, something I don't think there's any denying but the question that's becoming pretty obvious is whether there's any more growth forthcoming or if he's essentially already reached the peak of what he'll accomplish there and is actually already starting down the other side of the slope.

miami_fan 03-20-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1974403)
He probably only has 2, possibly three, legit blue chip sort of players right now. Tyler Smith is a quality player at this level, Chism can be (minus his shot selection & taking the occasional trip off), and Cameron Tatum appears on his way to turning into one.

Beyond that, Tabb is a role player, Maze too often looks like a joke as a power conference PG, Prince is an Idunnowhat but whiny bitch with zero court sense and a sense of entitlement comes to mind, Hopson there's still some hope for but I'm neither entirely sold on him nor ready to give up on him. The rest are role players at best.

What most had in common were good press clippings coming in but there's not much evidence that there as good as advertised. There's a good bit of general athleticism but the almost complete lack of court sense is downright disturbing, it'd be hard to recruit a group that appears to have a lower basketball IQ if you tried. And I believe there's still some character issues on the roster, if not in terms of criminal behavior at least in terms of work ethic.

What has me concerned is whether Pearl actually has the ability to coach players up to the next level, or to coax them into performing in spite of whatever flaws they have. If he doesn't then he needs to recruit players without so many of those flaws but I'm not sure his ego will allow for that, although if it doesn't then his fate is already sealed short of finding assistants who can cover those shortcomings. He's been awfully good for the UT basketball program, something I don't think there's any denying but the question that's becoming pretty obvious is whether there's any more growth forthcoming or if he's essentially already reached the peak of what he'll accomplish there and is actually already starting down the other side of the slope.

Maybe there is hope. The team you described above sounds exactly like the Florida Gators teams from 2001 til they won back to back titles.

Thomkal 03-20-2009 10:06 PM

well after going perfect in the afternoon slate of games, the evening games are looking pretty ugly for my picks. :(

RainMaker 03-20-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1974403)

While I agree with your assesment on those players, I still think it's weird he keeps missing with guys who everyone praises.

Hopson and Negedu were both blue chippers I believe. I know Hopson was a McDonalds' All-American and probably the best SF coming out of high school. I know they are both young and raw, but they just don't seem to have improved. I just wonder if Hopson had ended up with a real good coach if we'd be talking about him being one of the best freshman in the country.

And I don't follow them enough, but it seems like every year there is talk about the talent he has acquired. it just never seems like that talent develops into a great college basketball player.

I think Pearl will always be a guy who can get you to the tournament and win a game here and there. But I just don't think he'll ever be the kind of coach to get to a Final Four. I guess that's a decision Tennessee will have to make some day. Are they content with being a consistently good team, or do they have aspirations to take a risk at being great?

Radii 03-20-2009 10:10 PM

Wake Forest is looking so sloppy. I count 5 turnovers in the 2nd half already. Cleveland State has a 17-0 edge in points off turnovers. Just terrible. Teague looks completely out of control

mauchow 03-20-2009 10:17 PM

8-0 run for the Badgers to start the 2nd half. Thank goodness.

mauchow 03-20-2009 10:19 PM

Hell yeah. 13-0 run to start the half.

JonInMiddleGA 03-20-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainMaker (Post 1974409)
Hopson and Negedu were both blue chippers I believe. I know Hopson was a McDonalds' All-American and probably the best SF coming out of high school. I know they are both young and raw, but they just don't seem to have improved. I just wonder if Hopson had ended up with a real good coach if we'd be talking about him being one of the best freshman in the country

Hopson's shooting is inconsistent, in part because his shot selection is questionable. Only 1 game in double figures in their final seven, but 6 of the 8 prior to that. I think he was overrated coming in but there's still room for hope.

Negedu is a different matter, with a number of people wondering why he didn't see more time, didn't reach double digit minutes in a game after the first week of February and only 3 times in the new year. Whether he was in the doghouse for some reason or if there was something else going on I really don't know. He seems like a good energy guy off the bench & one that could get better as opposed to Brian Williams who, bless his heart, is a good story for the massive weight loss but just isn't much of an athlete beyond taking up space.

Quote:

Are they content with being a consistently good team, or do they have aspirations to take a risk at being great?

I'd say that's pretty on target. I don't question the desire to being great but there's definitely starting to be questions raised about whether Pearl is capable of getting a program to that level. It takes more than getting the fan base interested or being a very good p.r. guy for the program (and himself) and it remains to be seen whether he's got that capability.

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:23 PM

That was nice of Wisconsin to show up for the second half of their game.

I have that one on the computer while Wake-Cleveland St is on tv.

It's a nice pair of games to close out the evening

SI

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:24 PM

Oh wow. And I hadn't seen but Siena made a run and that's now a 2 point game

SI

Radii 03-20-2009 10:31 PM

jesus christ Cleveland State... amazing.

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:31 PM

Time out, Wake! Cleveland State on an 11-2 run and now up 15 with barely 7 to go

SI

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:33 PM

Damn, they took me to Ohio State-Siena. So the computer is now having Wake-Cleveland State. Bye, Florida State-Wisconsin.

SI

MrBug708 03-20-2009 10:39 PM

So Arizona might be gift wrapped the Sweet 16, wonderful

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:40 PM

Wake's almost to that "you have to play almost perfect from the 4 minute mark on and hope for a little luck to get back in" point

SI

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:44 PM

Siena has life!

(Wake, not so much- down 15, don't have the ball, and the 4 minute tv timeout just hit)

SI

JonInMiddleGA 03-20-2009 10:44 PM

Sienna refuses to go quietly.

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:48 PM

I could go for some overtime. I'm not tired yet and I have to be up and moving some servers tomorrow at midnight so, yeah, OT would work.

SI

MrBug708 03-20-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedKingGold (Post 1973676)
Scottie Reynolds has a lot to prove in the matchup with Collison after struggling in the Big East Tourney and against American.

However, the key is going to be Cunningham and Anderson. Based on what I've read and what I saw last night, the UCLA interior is just not that good.

However, if both settle for jumpers (as they did in the first half last night) instead of driving to the basket (as they did in the second), UCLA could blow Nova out.

Collison still has the lingering affect of a bruised tailbone. As for the the interior, we have probably one of the most physical post players in Aboya, he's just not very skilled. Can hit a jump shot to keep defenses honest, but somewhat limited offensively. Great defensive presence though. Our PF spot is meh. Keefe can rebound and shoot the three, but just too slow. Drago is a great outside shooter and is underrated downlow, but probably the worst defender out of the main 8 in the rotation IMO

That being said, I cant imagine UCLA will hang for the whole game. Just too much inconsistency

Thomkal 03-20-2009 10:50 PM

Go Siena, salvage one of my picks at least!

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 1974439)
So Arizona might be gift wrapped the Sweet 16, wonderful

What it really means is that Louisville is being gifted a trip to the Elite 8

SI

ColtCrazy 03-20-2009 10:52 PM

Anyone see the usher just yank the John 3:16 sign out of some guy's hand behind the Siena bench at the end of regulation? Looked a little harsh.

Good game though, sloppy, but good game. I'd like to see the Big Ten do well, but I'm hoping Wisconsin comes back so I can take OSU losing! :)

Thomkal 03-20-2009 10:53 PM

Oooh looks like Wisconsin has come back against Florida State-another of my picks might be saved

Young Drachma 03-20-2009 10:54 PM

Kudos to Siena and Cleveland State for keeping the night interesting, finally.

ColtCrazy 03-20-2009 10:54 PM

Wake will be my first Sweet Sixteen team out. Oh well. Saw some guy on the ESPN brackets has been perfect so far, but has Wake in the Final Four....that would suck.

JonInMiddleGA 03-20-2009 10:54 PM

Anybody noticing Wisconsin just down 1 with 1:29 left?

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1974457)

Maybe it's time to put that game on my computer. Cleveland State is up comfortably with only 2 to go.

SI

ColtCrazy 03-20-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 1974457)

I've watched it. Seems like FSU gets a little lead and I think it's over and Wisconsin just keeps coming back. Good for them.

JonInMiddleGA 03-20-2009 10:55 PM

Make that Wisconsin by 2 under a minute

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:56 PM

Holy crap, Wisconsin!

SI

sterlingice 03-20-2009 10:57 PM

The mmod delay is about 15 seconds behind. I turned it on just in time to see a guy hit a 25 foot shot with 1 left on the shot clock to take the lead for Wisconsin.

That's the highlight shot of the tourney so far

SI

ColtCrazy 03-20-2009 10:57 PM

Okay, what just happened in the Wisconsin game? Can't be cbssports to come up!!!

nevermind...thanks si

Young Drachma 03-20-2009 10:57 PM

You'd think these coaches of these damn plucky underdogs would watch tape of teams in previous years.

That said, Siena is not doing the "OMG, we're down, shoot a 3 way too early" model so far...so...good on them for sticking to the gameplan.

Radii 03-20-2009 10:58 PM

that 3 for wisconsin to go ahead was a heartbreaker after 35 seconds of great half court defense.

Young Drachma 03-20-2009 11:00 PM

Dear CBS, don't be so transparent. We know you love the big schools, but relax. It'll be okay. They'll win in the end.

sterlingice 03-20-2009 11:00 PM

Two overtimes!

SI

ColtCrazy 03-20-2009 11:01 PM

Hey, who said Big Ten basketball was bad. Finally getting to see two good games. Hope they win at least one.

sterlingice 03-20-2009 11:01 PM

What ever happened to the split screen? CBS used to do that about 10 years ago, especially with situations like these

SI

Radii 03-20-2009 11:01 PM

great end to the first round, this is awesome!

sterlingice 03-20-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColtCrazy (Post 1974471)
Hey, who said Big Ten basketball was bad. Finally getting to see two good games. Hope they win at least one.

I didn't say it was bad- but I did say how much I hated ugly Big 10 basketball like what we saw from Wisconsin in the first half.

SI

sterlingice 03-20-2009 11:02 PM

Wake is out- our first big upset of the tourney!

I watched that game most of the night and Cleveland State was just in control all the way. Arizona shouldn't expect a pushover game or they're going to see the same fate as Wake.

SI

Scoobz0202 03-20-2009 11:02 PM

Jesus christ... Whoever hits the button to switch games needs to calm the fuck down.

JonInMiddleGA 03-20-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1974472)
What ever happened to the split screen? CBS used to do that about 10 years ago, especially with situations like these

I was missing that earlier myself, but split screen doesn't sell ads the way MMOD does.

sterlingice 03-20-2009 11:03 PM

Nevermind! Shot of the night!

SI

ColtCrazy 03-20-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 1974474)
I didn't say it was bad- but I did say how much I hated ugly Big 10 basketball like what we saw from Wisconsin in the first half.

SI

True. Went to the IU-Wisconsin game. Wisconsin played one great half, and one damn ugly half.

Still, love to see them pull this off. Give the Big Ten some love, and give the ACC a 3-4 record in the tourney.

JonInMiddleGA 03-20-2009 11:03 PM

Hmm ... maybe they'll put up six OT's between 'em.