Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   It's here! The NHL 2003-04 playoff thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=23986)

Maple Leafs 04-29-2004 08:12 AM

Thoughts on game three:

- Good win for Toronto, but nothing to get excited over. Down 2-0 at home is the easiest game to win in any series. We didn't see the real Flyers tonight.

- Still, one good sign for the Leafs: they've been better every game of the series, and Philly has been worse

- I admit, before the game I hated the idea of putting Belak in there. I'm still not sold. Yes, he played probably the greatest game of his career. Let's see if he can keep it up without crossing the line and costing the team, especially when they go into Philly.

- I was also wondering how Belak, Antropov and Ponikoravsky were expected to produce any offense when none of them have hands. I guess we found out the answer: I've never seen a Leaf line try so hard to get the puck back to the point at every opportunity. Not even an attempt to do anything themselves. Good strategy.

- Marchement, you like the big hit in the neutral zone, we get it! How about hanging back and playing a little defence every now and then.

- Mogilny is a Lady Byng candidate and one of the cleanest players in the league, so he's not out there trying to hurt guys. Still, how is that not a penalty? Terrible non-call in an otherwise well-reffed game.

- I love Danny Markov. He could play for my team any time. He's just plain crazy. A perfect playoff hockey player.

Tekneek 04-29-2004 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
hadn't heard that insight yet. thanks! :D

next you're going to tell me that Scott Hannan is the most underrated defenseman in the NHL or that Lecavalier and St Louis grew up rooting for the Habs.

I was just venting... Not that I care that they are huge flops, I actually like that, but they still get too much hype despite sucking.

Draft Dodger 04-29-2004 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekneek
I was just venting... Not that I care that they are huge flops, I actually like that, but they still get too much hype despite sucking.

just playing around.
now that I have to watch the ESPN broadcasts, my tolerance for repeating the same stupid storyline over again and again and again gets annoying.

JeeberD 04-29-2004 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I'd reccommend the Red Wings. Repent. It's never too late to accept your hero and savior, Steve Yzerman.

I will never cross over to the Dark Side...NEVER!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by klayman
Jeebs...Cheer for the Flames. All the cool kids are doing it.

OK, since both bbor and klayman say rooting for the Flames is cool, I'll be doing it... :)

Honolulu_Blue 04-29-2004 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeberD
I will never cross over to the Dark Side...NEVER!!!!!!!!

OK, since both bbor and klayman say rooting for the Flames is cool, I'll be doing it... :)

Aww, come on! The Red Wings are cool, man. :cool:

klayman and bbor are dorks. They don't even capitalize their names for crissakes! How can you take them seriously? ;)

Besides, klayman has already outed himself as a closet Wings' fan.

I am going in search of this post!

Karim 04-29-2004 01:32 PM

Root for the Flames. Detroit security molested the chicken and stole his megaphone.

Tekneek 04-29-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

just playing around.
now that I have to watch the ESPN broadcasts, my tolerance for repeating the same stupid storyline over again and again and again gets annoying.

And they think their ratings are bad because nobody likes hockey. Their ratings are bad because ESPN sucks!

Oh...sorry about that, it's one of those repeating storylines again...

Vince 04-29-2004 01:51 PM

Great game, DD. Sorry to hear that we seem to have been getting all the calls. And can I say that I really HATE that I am worried about a series that we're up 3-1 in?

Draft Dodger 04-29-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince
Great game, DD. Sorry to hear that we seem to have been getting all the calls. And can I say that I really HATE that I am worried about a series that we're up 3-1 in?

just to be clear - it's not the refs fault the Avs are down 3-1. they've earned it with their sloppy play, while San Jose has been excellent.

I think Saturday's game is key...the Shark's still have the considerable motivational edge going into that game. but, if the Avs steal it, suddenly it's 3-2 going back to Colorado, and I think the Avs will have a leg up. that's a big IF though, as it's going to be a tough, tough game to win.

(also a tough game for me to avoid...we'll be in Boston during the day, and I'll have to avoid tv/radio until we get home to fire up the Tivo)

bbor 04-29-2004 02:18 PM

A high stick which cause an inury(read:blood) and is ACCIDENTAL is always 4 minutes.

According to the rule book.I seem to recall a few years ago when you cut someone with your stick it was an automatic get the hot shower water and cold beer.:)

HB.....The Winged wheel are the evil empire in Toronto..going back to the (Chuck) Norris division days.It hurts us to see a cup so close to Toronto...yet so far away in Detroit:D

Maple Leafs 04-29-2004 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbor
HB.....The Winged wheel are the evil empire in Toronto..going back to the (Chuck) Norris division days.It hurts us to see a cup so close to Toronto...yet so far away in Detroit:D

Clark still kicked Probert's ass.

(Looks around for a Leaf fan to high-five and chug beer with.)

bbor 04-29-2004 02:25 PM

ML....4-1 is a good win...but.....if you look back at the goals....Ponikarovskykazjcifhgeuicgfhienuxc's goal was a pure luck deflection.....Tuckers' was 5-3 where you SHOULD score....Kilgers was a fluke.Mogilnys' goal was the only real goal of the bunch.The Leafsgot the bounces..wheather they were due for those bounces or not they got them,but you are correct that win does not instill as much confidence as JohnnyG thinks it does.

bbor 04-29-2004 02:28 PM

HB...BTW.....3-1 Flames tonight,with an empty net goal.Iginla gets a goal and an assist:)

I'm shocked at the speed Iggy has...i never pegged him for a quick player...but the dude has wheels.

Johnny93g 04-29-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

ML....4-1 is a good win...but.....if you look back at the goals....Ponikarovskykazjcifhgeuicgfhienuxc's goal was a pure luck deflection.....Tuckers' was 5-3 where you SHOULD score....Kilgers was a fluke.Mogilnys' goal was the only real goal of the bunch.The Leafsgot the bounces..wheather they were due for those bounces or not they got them,but you are correct that win does not instill as much confidence as JohnnyG thinks it does.

Sure, we got bounces, but its hockey...the best team usually gets the bounces.....It was a good bounce on Brashears goal in game 2.....and a lucky bounce on Mogilny hitting the post in game 2....and a unusual bad goal that won game 2 for the Flyers....and Amonte's goal yesterday was a lucky bounce.....and Mogilny was lucky the puck bounced right to sundin before his breakaway....see what im saying..... Im confident in this team....Through 3 games....I think Toronto has outplayed Philly twice.....game 1 was pretty even, but the Leafs were coming off game 7, and a let down was expected......based on that.....GO LEAFS GO!!!

Maple Leafs 04-29-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

Agreed on all counts, but at the end of the day a win is a win. I think we get too caught up during the playoffs in analyzing the games and looking for trends. What happens in one game doesn't have much to do with what will happen in the next.

klayman 04-29-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

Aww, come on! The Red Wings are cool, man. :cool:

Some little known facts about the Wings:

1) They supplied the Nazis with Hockey sticks during the late 30's and early 40's.

2) The beef on little Caeser's pizzas is made of orphaned babies!

3) They once gave a contract to Dean Houston to play net for them in the 80's.

How can anyone cheer for that monstrosity?

:D Go Flames!

Honolulu_Blue 04-29-2004 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klayman
Some little known facts about the Wings:

1) They supplied the Nazis with Hockey sticks during the late 30's and early 40's.

2) The beef on little Caeser's pizzas is made of orphaned babies!

3) They once gave a contract to Dean Houston to play net for them in the 80's.

How can anyone cheer for that monstrosity?

:D Go Flames!

Man! My ears are burning. Allow me to retort...

1) Those sticks were given to the Swiss. What the Swiss did with them after we gave them to them, we cannot be blamed for.

2) Those babies were not orphans! They were donated by good, loving families.

3) It was a dark time the PH-BY era. (Post Howe/Before Yzerman) Ilitch was giving away a car at every home game. They thought starting the "legend" would draw a crowd.

Stop the hate!

Get with the love! :cool:

Honolulu_Blue 04-29-2004 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Clark still kicked Probert's ass.

(Looks around for a Leaf fan to high-five and chug beer with.)

Wendy's a pussy.

Honolulu_Blue 04-29-2004 05:32 PM

Quote:

HB...BTW.....3-1 Flames tonight,with an empty net goal.Iginla gets a goal and an assist:)

I hope you are wrong, you bastard.

If you are wrong, H_B = :)

If you are right, H_B = :(

Karim 04-29-2004 05:37 PM

Hello hockey fans, (RIP, Ed Whalen) don't forget to check out this thread:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=25020

klayman 04-29-2004 05:55 PM

Quote:

Wendy's a pussy.

Wow. I'm not a leaf fan...but that's just wrong.

bbor 04-29-2004 10:00 PM

Lets play ......Red Wings we hate.....past and present.

Joey Kocur
Chris Chelios

Maple Leafs 04-29-2004 10:13 PM

Quote:

Dino Ciccarelli.

Simms 04-29-2004 10:18 PM

Kirk Maltby....but not for hockey reasons.

He broke my nose in a baseball game a few years ago. I respect the hell out of him as a hockey player, but I'll never forgive him for that. :)

Ksyrup 04-29-2004 10:19 PM

It's hockey...hasn't pretty much every player played for every team in the league? The trade deadline is what...May 20?

Johnny93g 04-29-2004 10:19 PM

Quote:

Curtis Joseph...still pissed even though it was for the best...
I second Dino Ciccerelli....
Shawn Burr....I never liked him....
Brett Hull.....nough said....
Oh and my father can't stand Steve Yzerman....I actually dont mind him....but my dad thinks he's shifty

bbor 04-29-2004 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simms
Kirk Maltby....but not for hockey reasons.

He broke my nose in a baseball game a few years ago. I respect the hell out of him as a hockey player, but I'll never forgive him for that. :)

This sounds like a story i'd like to hear :)

Simms 04-29-2004 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny93g
Oh and my father can't stand Steve Yzerman....I actually dont mind him....but my dad thinks he's shifty

Steve Yzerman is the only reason that I've never been able to develop a serious hate for the Red Wings.

He could play for my hockey team any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The definitive hockey package of class and ability. How can you NOT like the guy?

He's got his ring(s) though....no sorrow in seeing Detroit eliminated early on a yearly basis anymore. :)

bbor 04-29-2004 10:24 PM

HB is gonna shit when he sees this game....and the score of the Hockey game...2 goals in 18 seconds for the Flames?...damn

Simms 04-29-2004 10:30 PM

Quote:

This sounds like a story i'd like to hear :)

lol...

I was playing Junior Intercounty in Waterloo, and he was playing for Cambridge...pre-season exhibition game.

For starters, dude is NOT small (he hit two HRs in a game later in the season against us, the day after he was drafted by Edmonton), but for whatever reason, he's up there bunting. I was playing 1B. It's a harmless bunt right back to the mound, but my pitcher hung me out to dry on the throw. The ball got there at the same time as Maltby did, and I had to stretch into foul territory to catch it. He comes in with his elbows up and his arms folded across his chest...caught me right under the nose. Literally knocked me out of my shoe....one cleat ended up in short right field. Landed on my ass, nose broken and bleeding....but I held on to the ball. :)

I also played house league ball with Manny Legace in Toronto when I was 14...he left the team early to go play Junior C hockey in Alliston or something. First indication I had that he was a pretty damn good goalie.

Ksyrup 04-29-2004 10:32 PM

No kidding. I really wish Calgary was playing any other team, because I'd love to root for them as the story of the playoffs, but...no can do. Unfortunately, it's starting look like I might be able to root for them next series without a problem. :(

Hurst2112 04-29-2004 10:46 PM

Ok, after 2 periods I have noticed something.

It looks as if the Wings are playing to advance 1 more game while the Flames are playing to win the cup.

Flames are lookin' good.

How can anybody hate Yzerman?

How can anybody hate Hull?

er...umm...

How can anybody hate Yzerman?

;)

Draft Dodger 04-29-2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

Hasek

Draft Dodger 04-29-2004 10:59 PM

I'm mystified by the Yzerman thing as well.

it's like hating Joe Sakic.

bbor 04-29-2004 11:00 PM

It's like hating the Leafs :D

Hurst2112 04-29-2004 11:05 PM

Quote:

I'm mystified by the Yzerman thing as well.

it's like hating Joe Sakic.

I would agree with that.

No matter how much I have learned to hate Colorado since 96, I still appreciate Sakic.

Draft Dodger 04-29-2004 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurst2112
I would agree with that.

No matter how much I have learned to hate Colorado since 96, I still appreciate Sakic.

ditto with me and Yzerman, of course.

sterlingice 04-29-2004 11:12 PM

Quote:

Joey Kocur
Chris Chelios

I can't hate Chelly. He'll always look like this to me:

Hurst2112 04-29-2004 11:14 PM

Is that Belfour on one of his drinking benders?

;)

Draft Dodger 04-29-2004 11:18 PM

Quote:

I don't think Belfour was ever that young.

Hurst2112 04-29-2004 11:20 PM

Quote:

I don't think Belfour was ever that young.

I feel dumb for not getting that.

sterlingice 04-29-2004 11:26 PM

Quote:

;)

I still love the urban legend about how he dented the Stanley Cup at the drunken pool party. Or it may be true. After all, who would believe that he would offer a cop a billion dollars.

Actually, I've been jonesing for a former Blackhawks three pack with Eddie, JR, and Chelly but no such luck. Unfortunately, McFarlane hasn't made a Roenick or Belfour 'hawks variant :(

SI

bbor 04-29-2004 11:36 PM

Eddie as a Hawk seems like lifetimes ago.

Simms 04-29-2004 11:39 PM

What about Eddie as a Shark? :)

Draft Dodger 04-29-2004 11:40 PM

Quote:

I feel dumb for not getting that.

just that the action figure looks like a young guy. not your fault - I'm not as funny as I think I am.

sterlingice 04-29-2004 11:41 PM

Uhoh. Things have taken a turn for the ugly.

SI

Hurst2112 04-29-2004 11:41 PM

Quote:

just that the action figure looks like a young guy. not your fault - I'm not as funny as I think I am.

I got you...now it's funny.

I was making fun of his drinking... ;)

Draft Dodger 04-29-2004 11:43 PM

Quote:

I got you...now it's funny.

I was making fun of his drinking... ;)

looking back, it might have helped if I'd quoted the right post!

need. sleep.

Hurst2112 04-29-2004 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice
Uhoh. Things have taken a turn for the ugly.

SI

Why the hell would you slam a goalie with no chance of winning? The puck wasn't even around him.

Not a classy move.

Good game, except for my scalp.

Draft Dodger 04-29-2004 11:44 PM

btw - Hurst is here and in a good mood. Wings must have won?