Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The OFFICIAL NHL 2009-10 Offseason Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=73012)

Dr. Sak 09-23-2009 12:09 PM

Another Down Goes Brown Gem!

Quote:

3. Tie Domi vs a fat Flyers fan

Here's an actual transcript of what's going through this fan's mind. "Hey, Domi just sprayed water on me, which technically ends my month-long streak of not bathing! I think I'll bang on the glass and try to look tough when I know he can't reach me. Hm, I wonder if this glass can support 300 lbs of cheesesteak and loneliness? No, apparently it can not. Oh god, I'm going to die. Also, I just soiled myself on national television. Go Flyers!"

HILARIOUS!

Pyser 09-23-2009 12:59 PM

id agree the devils wont get over 96 points, but i think theyll be a lot closer than you guys think. theyll be within 6.

Maple Leafs 09-23-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2125300)
HILARIOUS!

I swear dude, when I wrote that I didn't know the guy was you.

Pumpy Tudors 09-23-2009 03:14 PM

I hope every game goes to overtime. Then we may have the possibility of every team going over the Vegas line in points!

samifan24 09-23-2009 04:25 PM

When did Varlamov change the spelling of his first name?

Dr. Sak 09-24-2009 10:59 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292399

Wayne Gretzky has stepped down as coach of the Coyotes.

RomaGoth 09-24-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2125963)
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292399

Wayne Gretzky has stepped down as coach of the Coyotes.

The Coyotes have turned into one of the worst - run teams in all of sports. Too bad, really. They should have stayed in Winnipeg.

Fidatelo 09-24-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2125972)
The Coyotes have turned into one of the worst - run teams in all of sports. Too bad, really. They should have stayed in Winnipeg.

They weren't exactly well-run in Winnipeg, but yes, I agree with the sentiment.

DeToxRox 09-24-2009 11:23 AM

Better Wayne resign then eventually get fired by whoever the new owner would be. Talk about a tough gig to have to do.

bbor 09-24-2009 11:37 AM

8 Mil a year is too much for a bankrupt team to handle i guess.

RomaGoth 09-24-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbor (Post 2125996)
8 Mil a year is too much for a bankrupt team to handle i guess.

Especially for a coach that, well let's face it, really did nothing in 4 years with this team. Not all his fault of course, but you have to at least show signs of going forward. This team didn't even tread water with Gretzky as coach, if anything they regressed.

bbor 09-24-2009 08:10 PM

Interesting...he was never a crasher and banger while he played...:D

Habs D Brisebois retires, eyes auto racing career - NHL News - FOX Sports on MSN

bbor 09-24-2009 08:11 PM

Dola...BTW....i think his NHL nickaname (Breeze-by) will suit him in his new career.

RomaGoth 09-24-2009 09:23 PM

Moved the cable box into my room (I am renting a room in a house until next year), and BOOM!!!

NHL Center Ice later this month is coming, and right now watching Tampa Bay/Edmonton preseason game on the NHL Network. Can't remember the last time I watched an NHL game that wasn't on network tv.

Loving it.

Chief Rum 09-24-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2126522)
Moved the cable box into my room (I am renting a room in a house until next year), and BOOM!!!

NHL Center Ice later this month is coming, and right now watching Tampa Bay/Edmonton preseason game on the NHL Network. Can't remember the last time I watched an NHL game that wasn't on network tv.

Loving it.

How does Hedman look?

RomaGoth 09-24-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2126538)
How does Hedman look?

Haven't watched it closely enough. Not even sure what number he is.

bbor 09-24-2009 09:40 PM

Hedman looks very good....Having Ohlund playing with him will be a huge boost for the kid.

Honolulu_Blue 09-25-2009 12:39 PM

It looks like Brad May has the third annual Detroit Red Wings Annual "Brad Norton Tough Guy"* award. He's trying out with the Wings and will play tonight against Toronto. He'll be an incredible long shot to make the team. He may play in Grand Rapids (if he wants to), which will inevtibly lead to a bunch of people hoping the Wings call him up throughout the season.

*Past winners include: 2006-07: Brad Norton; 2007-2008: Aaron Downey; 2008-2009: Aaron Downey/Darren McCarty.

RomaGoth 09-25-2009 01:08 PM

Red Wings win some awards from The Sporting News. Seem to be some no-brainers here, especially regarding Holland being the best GM.

Red Wings quartet earns Sporting News All-Decade honors - NHL.com - News

RomaGoth 09-25-2009 01:09 PM

Dola

Theo Fleury let go by the Calgary Flames. Too bad, he was fun to watch. I doubt anyone will be interested in a 41 year old at this point though.

Flames release Fleury from tryout agreement - NHL.com - 2009 NHL Offseason News

RomaGoth 09-25-2009 03:57 PM

Double Dola (belated)

Devils add the "other" Niedermayer. I find it rather odd that the Ducks wouldn't take him back for one more season to play with his brother.

New Jersey Devils sign Rob Niedermayer to one-year deal - ESPN

Maple Leafs 09-25-2009 04:39 PM

Greatest sports name of all time?
The WHL ◊ Official Website

bhlloy 09-25-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2127132)
Double Dola (belated)

Devils add the "other" Niedermayer. I find it rather odd that the Ducks wouldn't take him back for one more season to play with his brother.

New Jersey Devils sign Rob Niedermayer to one-year deal - ESPN

He has been pretty terrible for at least the last season. If his name was Smith he'd have been cut by the Ducks a long time ago. I'm very glad to have Scott back and just as glad to see Rob go. I can't see him making the Devils roster TBH.

Ajaxab 09-25-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 2127152)
Greatest sports name of all time?
The WHL ◊ Official Website

If there was a kid who was ever destined to play for his hometown team, it would be him.

Suburban Rhythm 09-25-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2127019)
Red Wings win some awards from The Sporting News. Seem to be some no-brainers here, especially regarding Holland being the best GM.

Red Wings quartet earns Sporting News All-Decade honors - NHL.com - News

Got my Sporting News yesterday as well. They are really going out on a limb predicting Pens-Wings III.

But then again, after seeing them have the Rangers 5th in the East, I'm not sure how much I put into their predictions.

Suburban Rhythm 09-25-2009 07:42 PM

Dola

Avs extend Hejduk one year

So, there goes one of the guys who contenders would have been after at the deadline.

RomaGoth 09-25-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2127243)
Got my Sporting News yesterday as well. They are really going out on a limb predicting Pens-Wings III.

But then again, after seeing them have the Rangers 5th in the East, I'm not sure how much I put into their predictions.

Hockey News has Flyers winning the Cup. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :eek: :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2127245)
Dola

Avs extend Hejduk one year

So, there goes one of the guys who contenders would have been after at the deadline.

He could still be moved. One year extension doesn't mean all that much, although I would doubt it at this point.

bbor 09-25-2009 08:22 PM

Jeez....Osgood looks terrible tonight.

DeToxRox 09-25-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbor (Post 2127252)
Jeez....Osgood looks terrible tonight.

Try all preseason.

Honolulu_Blue 09-25-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeToxRox (Post 2127255)
Try all preseason.

Agreed.

Chief Rum 09-25-2009 09:33 PM

Note to self...

Draft Howard

DeToxRox 09-25-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2127268)
Note to self...

Draft Howard

Note to CR ...

Draft Larsson because I honestly think he is going to end up in Detroit by January and Howard will end up, well, on a team that isn't in the state of Michigan.

Chief Rum 09-26-2009 02:46 AM

I know it's preseason...

I know the Sharks played their full complement of expected starters...

I know the Ducks sat several of their best players, including Getzlaf, Selanne, Koivu, Lupul, Niedermayer, Jiggy, Hiller and Wizniewski (so four of the top six F, 2 of the top 3 D, and both top GK)... (ping: Toronto fans, Pogge was in net)

And I know it was the second night of a back to back on the road...

But, damn, 6-0!! :eek:

bbor 09-27-2009 08:33 PM

The much vaunted D that Burke put together tonight looked like and AHL blueline as teh Leafs lose to the Sabres by a converted touchdown 7-6

bronconick 09-28-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Rum (Post 2127336)
I know it's preseason...

I know the Sharks played their full complement of expected starters...

I know the Ducks sat several of their best players, including Getzlaf, Selanne, Koivu, Lupul, Niedermayer, Jiggy, Hiller and Wizniewski (so four of the top six F, 2 of the top 3 D, and both top GK)... (ping: Toronto fans, Pogge was in net)

And I know it was the second night of a back to back on the road...

But, damn, 6-0!! :eek:

More important then any of that when you're dealing with the Sharks is that we're talking September, not April.

The most embarrassing thing has to be the 3 goals, assist line for Douglas freaking Murray. Wish I could have seen that.

JetsIn06 09-29-2009 11:26 AM

Quick question for you guys. Is there any sort of package that allows you to watch NHL games, similar to MLB.tv?

Honolulu_Blue 09-29-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetsIn06 (Post 2129614)
Quick question for you guys. Is there any sort of package that allows you to watch NHL games, similar to MLB.tv?

Yes. There is the NHL Center Ice Package, which gives you all the games (outside your market) on TV.

There is also a very robust NHL GameCenter, which I think is similar to MLB.tv. It allows you to watch games on the internet. I think you can watch 4 games at one time.

Here's the info on both:

NHL Center Ice - NHL.com - NHL Center Ice

NHL.com - The National Hockey League

RomaGoth 09-29-2009 11:39 AM

There is also the NHL Network and Versus, although Versus has rather limited coverage. I am fortunate to have both of them + Center Ice this year.

JetsIn06 09-29-2009 12:25 PM

Crap. I left out the most important requirement. I need to be able to watch on my computer.

JetsIn06 09-29-2009 12:25 PM

Wow...it's more expensive than the MLB.tv package.

RomaGoth 09-29-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetsIn06 (Post 2129663)

This probably has nothing to do with anything here, but can someone please kick Gary Buttman in the nuts for me k thx

samifan24 09-29-2009 03:30 PM

The NHL GameCenter Live package is overpriced, IMHO. Late last season they debuted a day pass for $20 and were shocked with fans cried foul on Twitter.

Travis 09-29-2009 03:34 PM

Not huge news but the Islanders have claimed Schremp off of waivers.

Assuming they don't turn around and try to sneak him through and to the farm, I'm really curious to see if they pair him and Tavares together on the PP. Good to see him (hopefully) getting a chance at the NHL level though, really too bad he never got a chance here before the numbers game caught up with him.

Honolulu_Blue 09-29-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetsIn06 (Post 2129663)

How much is the MLB.tv package?

JetsIn06 09-29-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2129753)
How much is the MLB.tv package?

I'm fairly sure it was $120 for the year.

RomaGoth 09-29-2009 03:48 PM

Impressive win in Europe:

Lions roar against Blackhawks - NHL.com - 2009 Compuware NHL Premiere

RomaGoth 09-29-2009 03:50 PM

Dola

Really love this quote from the story:

Quote:

But perhaps nobody stood taller than Finnish legend Ari Sulander in goal. Sulander, known as "The Wall," is on the wrong side of 40...

RomaGoth 09-29-2009 03:50 PM

Double Dola

Pens sign Skoula

Penguins sign Skoula to 1-year deal - NHL.com - News

Pumpy Tudors 09-29-2009 04:31 PM

I had forgotten all about NHL GameCenter Live until I got an email from them the other night. They were reminding me that they would automatically start billing me this week. That's fine. I actually liked it a lot last season. If I could get all of the NHL Center Ice games in HD, I would do that, but it's not an option on my cable system. So I'd rather just watch on my computer. It's nice to have a league scoreboard right above the picture. If a game is late and close, I can click one button and switch over. I found myself doing that a lot last season. No jumping around on the TV just to see what the other scores are. I have it all right in front of me.

I definitely got my money's worth out of it.

RomaGoth 09-29-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 2129799)
I had forgotten all about NHL GameCenter Live until I got an email from them the other night. They were reminding me that they would automatically start billing me this week. That's fine. I actually liked it a lot last season. If I could get all of the NHL Center Ice games in HD, I would do that, but it's not an option on my cable system. So I'd rather just watch on my computer. It's nice to have a league scoreboard right above the picture. If a game is late and close, I can click one button and switch over. I found myself doing that a lot last season. No jumping around on the TV just to see what the other scores are. I have it all right in front of me.

Who is your cable provider?

bbor 09-29-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomaGoth (Post 2129808)
Who is your cable provider?

Whoever Colin White shills for.

Pumpy Tudors 09-29-2009 04:45 PM

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

The real answer is Comcast.

JetsIn06 09-29-2009 04:47 PM

Yea, I'm definitely going to jump on this online thing. You get a discount until the 31st.

Honolulu_Blue 09-29-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 2129799)

I am struggling with this issue right now. I've had the Center Ice Package for the last 3 years now, but the lack of HD channels really hurts. It's night and day. If they had just one or two HD channels set aside each night that would be fantastic, but the utter lack of any really sucks. To be honest, among the local Wings games, the games on Versus and CBC (which I get locally), I am rarely for want of hockey to watch.

Hrmm....

JetsIn06 09-29-2009 07:08 PM

I just got the GameCenter package. :popcorn:

RomaGoth 09-29-2009 08:03 PM

Hockey is still the best sport to play and to watch. NHL fever...CATCH IT!!!!