Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   OT: The FOFC Music Draft (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=57117)

Oilers9911 02-23-2007 08:53 AM

See I kinda looked at it the other way in that Macarena is THE quintessential one hit wonder. It hit the scene like a mack truck and then flamed out just as fast and we never heard from it or the "band" again. I see what you guys are saying about longevity but as a one hit wonder I think Macarena fits perfectly. However, I am not voting so what do I know? :)

wade moore 02-23-2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st.cronin (Post 1400823)
I really thought somebody would tap U2 for a love song in the first couple of rounds. With or without you, maybe.

I'm a little surprised at the use here.. it's not terrible, but not where I would have gone... But it's U2, so can't go too wrong there anyways...

Maple Leafs 02-23-2007 08:53 AM

Lathum's pick

Classic -Foxy Lady- Jimi Hendrix- 3.2
Epic - BaBa O'reilly ( also known as teenage wasteland)- The Who - 2.9
Arena -
Trendsetter - Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana- 1.2
Love Song - At Last- Eda James - 4.9
One-Hit Wonder -
Party -
Crossover -
Cover -
Anti-Establishment -

Lathum's comment: Anyone who has evet been to a wedding knows that song. It is a classic. At least half the weddings I have been to that has been the couples song. It is easily one of the greatest love songs of all time

Subby is up

wade moore 02-23-2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers9911 (Post 1400827)
See I kinda looked at it the other way in that Macarena is THE quintessential one hit wonder. It hit the scene like a mack truck and then flamed out just as fast and we never heard from it or the "band" again. I see what you guys are saying about longevity but as a one hit wonder I think Macarena fits perfectly. However, I am not voting so what do I know? :)

And that's what I'm saying - that argument makes total sense. But I can also see the argument that you want a one-hit wonder - that is a wonder because people know the song across generations and 10 years from now people will know it, that kind of thing.

I'm not sure where i stand fwiw.

Buccaneer 02-23-2007 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMyths (Post 1400812)
Stepping out of the Sixties wheelhouse now. I'm happy to be taking this band off the board, and the main reason I'm not taking any of their other hits is because they are either better suited to categories for which there are better choices and because it sits atop my current Arena list, with little else of quality besides it.

Classic - 1.3 - Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
Epic - 3.3 - The End - The Doors
Arena - 4.8 - Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
Trendsetter - 2.8 - Respect - Aretha Franklin
Love Song -
One-Hit Wonder -
Party -
Crossover -
Cover -
Anti-Establishment -

That was my other choice I was talking about. I really wanted to take U2 off the board but the only category I had available for them was Love Song and I wasn't sure With or Without You or One would have fitted there either, so I just went one of the most popular songs ever in Imagine. But insomuch the Streets gets U2 off, it's not an Arena rocker. - Pride would have been much better, imo.

Maple Leafs 02-23-2007 08:54 AM

I thought about taking Streets as an epic, but I wasn't sure it was over-the-top enough.

wade moore 02-23-2007 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1400829)
Classic -Foxy Lady- Jimi Hendrix- 3.2
Epic - BaBa O'reilly ( also known as teenage wasteland)- The Who - 2.9
Arena -
Trendsetter - Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana- 1.2
Love Song - At Last- Eda James - 4.9
One-Hit Wonder -
Party -
Crossover -
Cover -
Anti-Establishment -

:searches on line to find out what this song is:

Bad sign for Lathum...

NoMyths 02-23-2007 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st.cronin (Post 1400823)
I really thought somebody would tap U2 for a love song in the first couple of rounds. With or without you, maybe.

Yeah, I'm glad to be able to take them late, and especially in the category that they've kind of claimed as their own these days.

Maple Leafs 02-23-2007 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1400831)
That was my other choice I was talking about. I really wanted to take U2 off the board but the only category I had available for them was Love Song and I wasn't sure With or Without You or One would have fitted there either, so I just went one of the most popular songs ever in Imagine. But insomuch the Streets gets U2 off, it's not an Arena rocker. - Pride would have been much better, imo.

Given your Imagine pick, I'm surprised you didn't take Streets as a one-hit wonder.

Lathum 02-23-2007 08:55 AM

I'm here to pick

wade moore 02-23-2007 08:55 AM

Dola: Oh, right...

But voters less engaged might not bother looking if they don't know it by the title like I didn't. Now that I know what it is, it's a good song, but I don't know if what happened with me may happen with other voters and hurt you.

Warhammer 02-23-2007 08:55 AM

R&B and Pop are two separate genres and were even more delineated when Stevie Wonder recorded it.

Also, NoMyths just backed my argument on Arena rock songs. Great song in the fourth round.

Lathum 02-23-2007 08:55 AM

doh!!

st.cronin 02-23-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple Leafs (Post 1400836)
Given your Imagine pick, I'm surprised you didn't take Streets as a one-hit wonder.

oh man

NoMyths 02-23-2007 08:56 AM

And re: Pride, it's not nearly as good a song as Streets. Not to mention that if you've ever been to a U2 show, you'd have no question about Streets' Arena credentials...it's one of the two or three songs that gets the loudest reaction. The riff is also instantly recognizable.

In fact... *goes to fire up the tune right now*

Lathum 02-23-2007 08:57 AM

let me say something about my pick. Anyone who has evet been to a wedding knows that song. It is a classic. At least half the weddings I have been to that has been the couples song. It is easily one of the greatest love songs of all time

Subby 02-23-2007 08:57 AM

U2 is an interesting arena rock choice. They don't really (imo) fit the traditional definition of an arena rock band. I would categorize them as neo-arena rock - a departure from Queen, Pink Floyd, etc...

I probably would have gone with I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For...because that seems like more of a sing-a-long arena song.

Good blocking move...you take the When Love Comes to Town collaboration with BB King out of crossover consideration.

NoMyths 02-23-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

hahaha :D

NoMyths 02-23-2007 08:58 AM

I love At Last, Lathum. But I think you probably could have grabbed it in the final round.

Subby 02-23-2007 08:58 AM

Etta James

And that song is fucking beautiful...

st.cronin 02-23-2007 08:58 AM

I think that's Lathum's strongest pick yet.

Buccaneer 02-23-2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMyths (Post 1400842)
And re: Pride, it's not nearly as good a song as Streets. Not to mention that if you've ever been to a U2 show, you'd have no question about Streets' Arena credentials...it's one of the two or three songs that gets the loudest reaction. The riff is also instantly recognizable.

In fact... *goes to fire up the tune right now*

I have, of course, been to a U2 stadium concert and nothing ever came close to rockin' the house like Pride. Probably one of my favorite concert moment ever. Streets is a great, great song - so much so that I thought about putting it in Epic.

Subby 02-23-2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMyths (Post 1400849)
I love At Last, Lathum. But I think you probably could have grabbed it in the final round.

Word.

Lathum 02-23-2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

I wasn't sure. It is a solid pick IMO and I wanted to get one of my female artists out of the way early.

wade moore 02-23-2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhammer (Post 1400839)
R&B and Pop are two separate genres and were even more delineated when Stevie Wonder recorded it.

Idano, I just can't get behind that logic... When I hear Stevie now, it's about the farthest thing from a crossover I can think of - and I tend to think the voters will feel that way too. Again, especially with the definition ML layed out... I can see it being stronger than some of the other picks in that category, but multiple picks for crossover to me have been WAY off of the definition ML laid out (ironically, even his own pick)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lathum (Post 1400843)
let me say something about my pick. Anyone who has evet been to a wedding knows that song. It is a classic. At least half the weddings I have been to that has been the couples song. It is easily one of the greatest love songs of all time

Agreed. I just don't know if you'll be punished by people like me that don't recognize it by name.

Warhammer 02-23-2007 09:00 AM

I'd consider Streets as arena, but I think it would have been better as epic as far as the sweep of it goes, especially the long version with the full intro.

Regarding one-hit wonders, the Macarena is the biggest one-hit wonder, but remember, the public is voting on this. What is going to determine their vote? I appreciate Macarena's position, but depending on which other wonders come out, I will vote for them for longevity.

Lathum 02-23-2007 09:00 AM

ML, I am going off my list for my next pick so I will be ready after Subby goes,

Buccaneer 02-23-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

That's funny. But we'll see if voters go with name recognition over niche. Probably half will and half won't. At least I got Lennon off the board for the easy anti-est.

wade moore 02-23-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhammer (Post 1400857)
I'd consider Streets as arena, but I think it would have been better as epic as far as the sweep of it goes, especially the long version with the full intro.

Regarding one-hit wonders, the Macarena is the biggest one-hit wonder, but remember, the public is voting on this. What is going to determine their vote? I appreciate Macarena's position, but depending on which other wonders come out, I will vote for them for longevity.

And people may punish Macarena because they just hate the song, vs. a one-hit wonder that they enjoy.

Lathum 02-23-2007 09:02 AM

Hey, Mapleleafs. can you cut and paste what I said about my pick and edit it into your post for my pick, that way the explination is right there?

NoMyths 02-23-2007 09:03 AM

Re: Superstition, I agree with the consensus -- it's not a crossover hit in terms of mixing musical genres as much as it is a straight-ahead funk tune that crossed over into widespread mainstream appeal. If we're going with the rules definition, I can't see it being a good fit, but as always the voters will decide. :)

st.cronin 02-23-2007 09:04 AM

I thought Superstition was a decent pick, although I would have it used it ... differently.

Subby 02-23-2007 09:05 AM

Well I think this might be one of the best covers ever from one of the best cover bands (ok, they had a few originals). Nothing wrong with paying tribute to The Kinks.

Ladies and gentleman, I give you the REAL Van Halen with....You Really Got Me.

Classic - Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin (1-1)
Epic - Freebird, Lynyrd Skynyrd (3-1)
Arena -
Trendsetter -
Love Song -
One-Hit Wonder -
Party -
Crossover -
Cover - You Really Got Me, Van Halen (4-10)
Anti-Establishment - Fuck Tha Police, N.W.A. (2-10)

Buccaneer 02-23-2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMyths (Post 1400862)
Re: Superstition, I agree with the consensus -- it's not a crossover hit in terms of mixing musical genres as much as it is a straight-ahead funk tune that crossed over into widespread mainstream appeal. If we're going with the rules definition, I can't see it being a good fit, but as always the voters will decide. :)

I think as someone said earlier, we will see more square pegs/round holes picks as time moves on.

st.cronin 02-23-2007 09:06 AM

solid

Warhammer 02-23-2007 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore (Post 1400856)
Idano, I just can't get behind that logic... When I hear Stevie now, it's about the farthest thing from a crossover I can think of - and I tend to think the voters will feel that way too. Again, especially with the definition ML layed out... I can see it being stronger than some of the other picks in that category, but multiple picks for crossover to me have been WAY off of the definition ML laid out (ironically, even his own pick).

That's the impact of Superstition though. It was such a big hit, that Stevie Wonder basically left R&B and became a Pop singer. Now if you want to argue that for most of us, we think of Wonder as a Pop singer rather than R&B, I'll grant you that. But, R&B and Pop are definitely not the same category.

Look at Aretha Franklin, she is R&B, she isn't Pop, but she has had some pop hits. I can't go into others since we're still drafting.

Subby 02-23-2007 09:08 AM

Working on 5.1...

wade moore 02-23-2007 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st.cronin (Post 1400866)
I thought Superstition was a decent pick, although I would have it used it ... differently.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 1400869)
I think as someone said earlier, we will see more square pegs/round holes picks as time moves on.

That's the thing though - I hope the voters will reward round pegs in round holes, I know I will. to me you have a much weaker "team" if you are fitting square pegs in round holes... the guys with the most round pegs in round holes will immediately jump ahead of those jamming things in anywhere... that's part of this game, otherwise you'd just get 10 picks without any categories - to just ignore the categories pretty much should hurt you with the voters, especially if you do it repeatedly.

wade moore 02-23-2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhammer (Post 1400873)
That's the impact of Superstition though. It was such a big hit, that Stevie Wonder basically left R&B and became a Pop singer. Now if you want to argue that for most of us, we think of Wonder as a Pop singer rather than R&B, I'll grant you that. But, R&B and Pop are definitely not the same category.

Look at Aretha Franklin, she is R&B, she isn't Pop, but she has had some pop hits. I can't go into others since we're still drafting.

I'm trying to argue that voters will see Stevie Wonder as a Crossover and go "Huh?"... that's all i'm saying...

wade moore 02-23-2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subby (Post 1400876)
Working on 5.1...

I've been a fan of your picks, so i'm anxious to see.

lordscarlet 02-23-2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

That was my first thought. Seeing as how I'm planning a wedding, it's on my radar, but I wouldn't have thought to pick it. Mainly I would have assumed there are people like Wade that definitely know the song but don't recognize it by name.

Quote:

Idano, I just can't get behind that logic... When I hear Stevie now, it's about the farthest thing from a crossover I can think of - and I tend to think the voters will feel that way too. Again, especially with the definition ML layed out... I can see it being stronger than some of the other picks in that category, but multiple picks for crossover to me have been WAY off of the definition ML laid out (ironically, even his own pick)

This is in the same line with the Cash pick. Great songs, definitely from a specific genre, but in their time they were ground-breaking in their mass appeal. We'll see how it plays out.

st.cronin 02-23-2007 09:11 AM

I do think of Superstition a crossover, not a round peg/square hole at all. I just think it had game-changing potential elsewhere.

Lathum 02-23-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

after further reflection I probably could have waithed here, but I think this song is so fresh in my mind because I am getting married this year.

Logan 02-23-2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Agreed. I just don't know if you'll be punished by people like me that don't recognize it by name.

He's just gotta hope that people read the song title reaaaallllyyyy slloooowwwwwlllly.

NoMyths 02-23-2007 09:14 AM

No shame in having it on the roster at all, Lathum. A beautiful song, and takes care of a female slot (snicker).

Warhammer 02-23-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wade moore (Post 1400880)
I'm trying to argue that voters will see Stevie Wonder as a Crossover and go "Huh?"... that's all i'm saying...

Yeah, I can see that. Down here in Memphis, we're far mor familiar with Wonder's R&B stuff than most people are. Also, I think age helps here as well, if you're still in your 20s, you probably remember Wonder for stuff like "I Just Called" and dreck like that.

wade moore 02-23-2007 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhammer (Post 1400889)
Yeah, I can see that. Down here in Memphis, we're far mor familiar with Wonder's R&B stuff than most people are. Also, I think age helps here as well, if you're still in your 20s, you probably remember Wonder for stuff like "I Just Called" and dreck like that.

and I think this board is still mostly folks in their 20's (like me), so that's part of my thought.

Warhammer 02-23-2007 09:17 AM

Great pick by Subby. VH has a few of those that could have gone into that slot.

Lathum 02-23-2007 09:19 AM

I'm hitting refresh obsesivly because I love my next pick

wade moore 02-23-2007 09:26 AM

Subby's such a tease.