Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   NCAA Football 2008 (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=57410)

MrBug708 07-29-2007 12:01 PM

#1000 post :)

MizzouRah 07-29-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBug708 (Post 1513510)
#1000 post :)

That was 1001 foo!

mauchow 07-29-2007 01:31 PM

Well, yeah Voo, but it is still VERY annoying considering how clunky the interface still is. I'd like to click click and be done within a few seconds, but it takes at least 10 seconds.

I'm starting to get frustrated with the fumbling. I didn't have the problem in the first season so much; or at least until the end of the season. I'm fumbling A LOT now. I play as the Badgers and have very good players but I fumble 3-5 times a game. The worst was when I was practically in the endzone and a tackler caught me from the side and ripped out the ball..... that was in the 4th quarter down by 7 to tOSU at their house. We lose cuz of that. Regardless, I'm starting to feel the stupidness of all the fumbling and its frustrating.

nilodor 07-29-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radii (Post 1513356)
I think its actually better to go somewhere that you don't start. As you practice and leapfrog over people, you gain ratings. I've started two different careers, one at Georgia Tech as the 5th string back, and one at North Carolina as the starter. In both I started with a 78 overall rating. But working my way up from 5th to 1st, I was the starter after th e 6th game or so of my freshman year, and at the start of my sophomore year my ratings had jumped to 91. Starting at UNC i don't get any big bumps from practice, and my ratings are only up to an 86 overall late in my Junior season.

I quit my Ga Tech career, but I might go back and play another one after this one is completed where I start as a 5th stringer and work my way up, I want to get on a good team and get my ratings into the upper 90s(hopefully) by my senior year and try to just put up ridiculous numbers.

I've noticed this as well. I think if you want to gain the most ratings you need to go somewhere with a highly rated player. So if you want to be a maxed out back, goto Arkansas, quarterback, goto USC because once you're at the top of the depth chart, you gain ratings alot slower.

ageofquarrel 07-29-2007 06:14 PM

I decided to mess around and lowered knockdowns to 0 and rise interceptions to 100. Because I wanted to see if the cpu would stop throwing INTs.
In one game with Michigan vs Texas(I was Michigan). Their was not one int thrown with 5 min quarters on varsity level. Usally the cpu was throwing two a game with knockdowns turned up to 100 and Ints lowered to 0. I also raised the cpu to 90 qb accurarcy.

Here was the line
Texas QB 13-17 174yds 1 td 0 ints
Michgan QB 13-22 174 yds 2 tds 0 ints

I know it was only one game but if anyone else wants to test it out more I would like to know how it would turn out.

mauchow 07-29-2007 07:02 PM

btw Supersim mode sucks.

mauchow 07-29-2007 08:22 PM

The more and more I play this game the more and more I dislike it. Damn it, I really thought this would be a long time playing game...

Do they ever release patches for the 360 to fix obvious flaws within the game?

The computer NEVER kicks a field goal when there is a few seconds left in the half and its not fourth down. NEEEVER.

Supersim has so many things wrong with it, its not even funny. Its just there so people can sim through their game real fast with no accuracy whatsoever to anything. You are by far better off just simming your games normally or playing out the game. I expected this feature to suck, so I'm not really that peeved about it.

The fumbling, the interceptions(even with 20 awareness for D along with 0 INT 100 knockdown... WHERE THE HELL IS THE FUMBLING SLIDER!).

That's enough ranting though.

Does anybody want this game? I will sell it for $55(OBO I guess) including shipping. Shoot me a PM if so. This is for the 360 version.

Eaglesfan27 07-29-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ageofquarrel (Post 1513705)
I decided to mess around and lowered knockdowns to 0 and rise interceptions to 100. Because I wanted to see if the cpu would stop throwing INTs.
In one game with Michigan vs Texas(I was Michigan). Their was not one int thrown with 5 min quarters on varsity level. Usally the cpu was throwing two a game with knockdowns turned up to 100 and Ints lowered to 0. I also raised the cpu to 90 qb accurarcy.

Here was the line
Texas QB 13-17 174yds 1 td 0 ints
Michgan QB 13-22 174 yds 2 tds 0 ints

I know it was only one game but if anyone else wants to test it out more I would like to know how it would turn out.

Interesting. I've read the theory that the knockdown and interception sliders are backwards and that one game would support that, but I'm getting such good games with Defensive Awareness at 25 that I haven't had time to test that theory.

Eaglesfan27 07-29-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mauboy1 (Post 1513865)
The more and more I play this game the more and more I dislike it. Damn it, I really thought this would be a long time playing game...

Do they ever release patches for the 360 to fix obvious flaws within the game?

The computer NEVER kicks a field goal when there is a few seconds left in the half and its not fourth down. NEEEVER.

Supersim has so many things wrong with it, its not even funny. Its just there so people can sim through their game real fast with no accuracy whatsoever to anything. You are by far better off just simming your games normally or playing out the game. I expected this feature to suck, so I'm not really that peeved about it.

The fumbling, the interceptions(even with 20 awareness for D along with 0 INT 100 knockdown... WHERE THE HELL IS THE FUMBLING SLIDER!).

That's enough ranting though.

Does anybody want this game? I will sell it for $55(OBO I guess) including shipping. Shoot me a PM if so. This is for the 360 version.

Yes, they release patches to fix 360 games and the rumor is that one is being worked on for NCAA. But, in the past EA has taken a long time to patch their games on the 360 and PS3. Who knows how soon it will be out or what it will fix.

vex 07-29-2007 09:12 PM

I almost NEVER fumble as OU, but the other teams seem to have a talent for it.

BYU 14 07-29-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 1513946)
Interesting. I've read the theory that the knockdown and interception sliders are backwards and that one game would support that, but I'm getting such good games with Defensive Awareness at 25 that I haven't had time to test that theory.

Shouldn't there be some direction from EA on this....I have the Sliders at 0 INT 100 Knockdown and just threw 4.........Maybe I will give this a shot.

Icy 07-30-2007 06:10 AM

Damn i was expecting the game to come today from the Canadian shop where i bought it but the mailman just came and had nothing for me. To read all the impression threads here and at OS without being able to play it is killing my nerves.

Radii 08-04-2007 04:52 PM

I'm having a weird issue. Virtually every time I start up the 360 for the day, the first game i play freezes, almost always before the first play is complete, either when its showing the stadium, or during the coin toss, or during the first play itself. I'd say this is happening more than 80% of the time that I turn on the 360 for the first time after its been off for quite some time.

After that, i turn off the 360, turn it back on, and play to my hearts content. i've played 8 or 9 games in one sitting in Campus legend mode without any issues at all after this first freeze...

anyone seen anything similar to that at all? Its not killing me b/c I can play fine and without interruption, but its worrying me a bit as far as online play goes.

A-Husker-4-Life 08-04-2007 06:13 PM

Check out this sliders I'm using, they're getting me great results.

360 version

Varsity
9 minutes

Hum/Cpu
Qba 40/50
PB 45/95
WRC 5/0
RBA 40/70
RBL 45/65

AW 5/95
KN 95/9
INT 5/5
BB 0/100
TCK 30/100

FBP 15/15
FGA 5/45
PP 35/40
PA 5/45
KP 45/70

The fumble problem is all but gone on Varsity and the picks I've thrown were because of bad choices. Try them out and tell me what you think..

Ironhead 08-04-2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radii (Post 1518145)
I'm having a weird issue. Virtually every time I start up the 360 for the day, the first game i play freezes, almost always before the first play is complete, either when its showing the stadium, or during the coin toss, or during the first play itself. I'd say this is happening more than 80% of the time that I turn on the 360 for the first time after its been off for quite some time.

After that, i turn off the 360, turn it back on, and play to my hearts content. i've played 8 or 9 games in one sitting in Campus legend mode without any issues at all after this first freeze...

anyone seen anything similar to that at all? Its not killing me b/c I can play fine and without interruption, but its worrying me a bit as far as online play goes.

After I first got the game I had probably 2 freezes in my first 10 games. Then I read a tip that it is ideal to have the 360 boot to the dashboard with nothing in the dashboard. Since I started doing that I have not had any freezes in the game. That has just been my experience - could be completely random though.

Radii 08-04-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead (Post 1518184)
After I first got the game I had probably 2 freezes in my first 10 games. Then I read a tip that it is ideal to have the 360 boot to the dashboard with nothing in the dashboard. Since I started doing that I have not had any freezes in the game. That has just been my experience - could be completely random though.

I'll give that a try, thanks!

Ironhead 08-04-2007 10:10 PM

Oops Radii - that was supposed to read "it is ideal for the 360 to boot to the dashboard with nothing in the cd drive". Whenever I am done playing the game I eject the cd and then turn off the system.

cartman 08-04-2007 10:18 PM

GRRR....

Just finished the regular season undefeated with my Horns, but didn't get to the BCS championship game due to USC and Florida also running the table. I'm going to have to settle for a matchup against WVU in the (I think) Sugar Bowl.

Radii 08-04-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead (Post 1518252)
Oops Radii - that was supposed to read "it is ideal for the 360 to boot to the dashboard with nothing in the cd drive". Whenever I am done playing the game I eject the cd and then turn off the system.

yeah, i figured that's what you meant :) I was not aware of that.

Radii 08-05-2007 12:55 AM

Well, I finished my first campus legend career, a running back at North Carolina, I was the starter from day 1, so no training boosts before I got the rock. We went to bowl games my last two years, beating Louisville in the Meineke Car Care Bowl my junior year, and getting crushed by LSU in the Peach Bowl my senior year, though I had a great 78 yard TD run vs LSU in my last college game.

FR - 249 rushes, 1063 yards, 7 TDs -- 53 rec, 563 yards, 4 rec TD
SO - 268 rushes, 1523 yards, 14 TDs -- 69 rec, 894 yards, 6 rec TD
JR - 274 rushes, 1333 yards, 14 TDs -- 55 rec, 684 yards, 4 rec TD
SR - 350 rushes, 2079 yards, 20 TDs -- 39 rec, 444 yards, 2 rec TD

CAREER:

1141 rushes
5998 yards (5.2 ypc)
55 rushing TDs

216 receptions
2585 yards
16 receiving TDs

I won the Doak Walker award for RBs my senior year. I never challenged for the heisman, I get a feeling its real hard to do that at UNC.

I held school records for rushing TDs in a career and in a season, rushing yards for a career and a season, career receiving yards, and career receptions when I graduated.

I kinda want to start a RB at Arkansas where you get to practice up a ton first and have great ratings, but I think I'm going to play a QB next, I am a really terrible passer i nthese games, perhaps a QB career will learn me.

watravaler 08-05-2007 12:59 AM

The passing engine(360) is a game killer for me. Too bad, maybe next year...

Two years in a row I've returned the game within a week.

EA needs to pick one system

KWhit 08-05-2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watravaler (Post 1518303)

What is wrong with the passing?

gstelmack 08-05-2007 08:54 AM

In Campus Legend mode, once you become the starter, is there any reason to play out the practices, or can I just sim them (unless I want the practice)? Will I ever gain any more points through practices?

Icy 08-05-2007 09:22 AM

Finally got the game! I have started a CL as HB and i'm having a Blast. I'm only having on problem, the real rosters are not used when you start a CL in High School, but i have read it's a known problem, so for my next CL i'll start with a freshman already in a team instead of starting in HS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 1518352)
In Campus Legend mode, once you become the starter, is there any reason to play out the practices, or can I just sim them (unless I want the practice)? Will I ever gain any more points through practices?

In the loading screen (Ps3 at least) it says that once you are the starter, the practices keep improving your ratings.

Icy 08-05-2007 11:42 AM

I'm really enjoying the CL mode, just made a great option play (80yd TD) as QB, keeping the ball until 4 defenders reached me, leaving the FB totaly alone:

http://www.easportsworld.com/#video-...ILL(PS3)/12219

gstelmack 08-05-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy (Post 1518359)
In the loading screen (Ps3 at least) it says that once you are the starter, the practices keep improving your ratings.

On the 360 it says "will help keep your skills sharp".

Radii 08-05-2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

I simmed them for my entire career, some reading on operation sports seemed to suggest that you wouldn't gain any more ratings points, or lose your starting job, if you sim practice once you're the starter.

nilodor 08-05-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

I haven't really seen it. Once I became the starter I practiced for the next 8 or so practices, didn't gain any more ratings so I just sim them now. I think the fastest way to gain ratings is to goto a team with a nearly maxed out player at the position you want to play.

kingnebwsu 08-05-2007 01:17 PM

When you're done with your first player on CL mode, can you make another one 4 years into the future? (2011). Or do you have to start over in 2007? It'd be cool to stay in the fictional universe.

Pumpy Tudors 08-05-2007 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watravaler (Post 1518303)

What are you talking about?

Icy 08-05-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 1518390)
On the 360 it says "will help keep your skills sharp".

You are right, it says the same in the Ps3, i have read too much in that statement.

Kodos 08-05-2007 03:00 PM

One nice thing about the practices is it does seem to make you better at executing the plays.

Logan 08-05-2007 04:47 PM

Can anyone help me try to get a video uploaded? I didn't seem to have a problem with this before, as I have 2 or 3 videos online already. I go into EA Sports Highlights, load the hard drive, but it doesn't come up with any files to upload. Thing is...I can see my highlight running in my "shrine" feature. So it's definitely saved somewhere, I just can't seem to get to it.

edit: Nevermind, I went into the shrine, to the video screen and did it, instead of going through the "Highlights" tab.

edit 2: No, I'm still all messed up. I was told I needed to be signed into XBL. So I go back and do that under my other profile. But then I can't access the files saved under the other profile (where I have my dynasty). I have no clue why I have 2 separate profiles, but is it possible to get those other files uploaded?

Ironhead 08-05-2007 09:00 PM

I was getting a little irritated with the game so I took a week off to play Gears of War and watch an assload of Battlestar Galactica.

Looking to start my dynasty again but I was wondering what people are using for sliders. Has anyone given Heisman a shot?

Logan:
I had a similar issue. I eventually corrected it and now only have my Xbox Live profile in the game. Be careful about deleting any profile though - you might accidently delete something and then lose access to your dynasty.

rowech 08-05-2007 10:32 PM

It's official....I suck at this game. I haven't played a football game in three years and it really is showing. I can run the ball somewhat okay, can play defense fairly well but have just an unbelievably bad passing game. I'd like to think sliders would help but I know so many of the passes are going to get picked off as soon as I throw them.

kingnebwsu 08-05-2007 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 1518608)
It's official....I suck at this game. I haven't played a football game in three years and it really is showing. I can run the ball somewhat okay, can play defense fairly well but have just an unbelievably bad passing game. I'd like to think sliders would help but I know so many of the passes are going to get picked off as soon as I throw them.

I was/am in the same boat. I turned down the INT slider to zero or 5 and I primarily run the ball. I rely on my running game and my defense scoring TD's to win (seriously). My offense has recently gotten better, but my TO margin is 2nd in the country and tOSU is 8-0. Very similar to the '02 tOSU team in that our offense isn't that explosive but our defense is there when we need it. Just hope I can go undefeated ;)

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-07-2007 10:35 AM

Bill Abner review of NCAA '08. Pretty thorough review......

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/270...-08-Review.htm

Pumpy Tudors 08-07-2007 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1519326)
Bill Abner review of NCAA '08. Pretty thorough review......

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/270...-08-Review.htm

Well, I see Bill Abner's points, and I agree with a lot of what he has to say. On the bright side (for me), none of the problems bother me enough to make me dislike the game. I can play against the AI and enjoy it. The recruiting is still fun to me, but I can see the tedium setting in pretty soon. I'm not terribly annoyed by the number of interceptions. I couldn't care less about the polls unless my team is involved. I understand that some unrealistic and downright baffling things will happen with the polls in this game, but as long as I have a good time playing, I really don't care. I understand that the polls can make or break the game for a lot of people, but I'm OK with it.

Abner's complaints are all valid ones, and I absolutely agree that it's all about your perspective. Some people (like myself) are able to enjoy the game even with the AI issues. Others are going to hate the AI or the polls. At the very least, I think most people would agree that the on-field game, particularly against a human opponent, is the best we've seen in a long time.

Anthony 08-07-2007 11:35 AM

i know i had a ton of fun playing online against pumpy. in the end that's what matters, the on-the-field gameplay being fun. everything else is filler.

Kodos 08-07-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life (Post 1518162)
Check out this sliders I'm using, they're getting me great results.

360 version

Varsity
9 minutes

Hum/Cpu
Qba 40/50
PB 45/95
WRC 5/0
RBA 40/70
RBL 45/65

AW 5/95
KN 95/9
INT 5/5
BB 0/100
TCK 30/100

FBP 15/15
FGA 5/45
PP 35/40
PA 5/45
KP 45/70

The fumble problem is all but gone on Varsity and the picks I've thrown were because of bad choices. Try them out and tell me what you think..

Still having good luck with these sliders? I'm not above moving down from AA if it alleviates fumbles and interceptions.

Eaglesfan27 08-07-2007 12:20 PM

The interception issue is my biggest problem. Even with sliders, I have some games that are ridiculous (while others that are close to perfect.) However, I still like the game despite that flaw. Here is a good review from 2 of the editors at OS:

http://www.operationsports.com/revie...?game=ncaafb08

Eaglesfan27 08-07-2007 12:21 PM

Dola -

Supposedly EA is working on a patch for NCAA and Madden (which also is known to have too many interceptions), but who knows when that will be released.

Anthony 08-07-2007 12:37 PM

but is it interceptions by sucky QBs, or is it INTs from stud QBs with great accuracy? i would expect a sucky QB to toss like 3 INTs a game.

i haven't played any dynasty games just yet, just finished my CL. i'll start tonite.

Honolulu_Blue 08-07-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 1519390)
The interception issue is my biggest problem. Even with sliders, I have some games that are ridiculous (while others that are close to perfect.) However, I still like the game despite that flaw. Here is a good review from 2 of the editors at OS:

http://www.operationsports.com/revie...?game=ncaafb08

What sliders do you recommend changing to solve this problem? I was talking to my brother last night and he was complaining about too many interceptions in the game. Even if he turned them down, defenders just kept getting in the way of passes, but instead of intercepting it, the ball just bounced off them. The frequency sounded a bit alarming.

gstelmack 08-07-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic (Post 1519407)
but is it interceptions by sucky QBs, or is it INTs from stud QBs with great accuracy? i would expect a sucky QB to toss like 3 INTs a game.

i haven't played any dynasty games just yet, just finished my CL. i'll start tonite.

My one frustration as a RB in CL mode has been regular picks thrown by my QB. Sometimes he's throwing into coverage, sometimes the DB is breaking on the ball much better than receivers are (as mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a long-standing gripe I've got with these games).

My QB is an "impact" player for my team which makes it all the more baffling, and has cost me some key games over bigtime opponents.

Fumbles have been about perfect for me, but INTs are at 3-4 per game from my impact QB.

It's especially frustrating when you are wide open in the flat with no one in front and he's passing to someone who is triple-covered.

Kodos 08-07-2007 12:50 PM

Defensive players definitely go after the ball a lot more aggressively than receivers do.

Anthony 08-07-2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 1519412)
My one frustration as a RB in CL mode has been regular picks thrown by my QB. Sometimes he's throwing into coverage, sometimes the DB is breaking on the ball much better than receivers are (as mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a long-standing gripe I've got with these games).

My QB is an "impact" player for my team which makes it all the more baffling, and has cost me some key games over bigtime opponents.

Fumbles have been about perfect for me, but INTs are at 3-4 per game from my impact QB.

It's especially frustrating when you are wide open in the flat with no one in front and he's passing to someone who is triple-covered.

see, but that's the point of CL. you are one cog in a system. you aren't controlling the whole system, just one piece of it. i've had my QB blow some huge games for me, out of my 3 seasons of CL my RB was only able to get 1 bowl win. my showcase is pretty much empty. we went to 3 bowl games and while i was able to do my part, i obviously couldn't score everytime i touched the ball and ultimately my success was in the hands of another person. that's realistic.

but yes, there've been times my eyes got big being out in the flats with NO ONE around me and a sure td to be had and the QB throws it the other way. that's football. the open guy doesn't always get the ball.

A-Husker-4-Life 08-07-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodos (Post 1519383)
Still having good luck with these sliders? I'm not above moving down from AA if it alleviates fumbles and interceptions.

Yes, I'm currently 2-2 with buffalo. With wins over Baylor and a 1 point win over Army. I lost to Syracuse by 10 and Temple by 7, they were very close games tho.. The INT's are always going to be a problem but with these settings, you won't fumble near as much. I've fumble only twice in 4 games and when I did fumble it felt right, not cheap. All I can say is try them out and see if they work for you.

Side note; I may try lowering the CPU's PB down to 0. I heard that will make the CPU pass to the backs and TE more, cutting down on the INT's. I'll try it and get back to you with the results.

nilodor 08-07-2007 01:09 PM

I think the reason that interceptions are so prevalent this year is down to three things, one good, two bad. The first is I think we throw it up too often and have been spoiled by the very little risk compared to reward in previous versions. In 08 if you just throw it up, it's most likely incomplete, but there is a chance that it will be picked or caught as it should be. The two problems are, we have very little control over the pass strength. I find it incredibly difficult to throw a lob or medium lob pass, all I can throw is hard and laser, which is incredibly frustrating when you actually have an open receiver 15 yards behind the linebackers, but you can get the ball over the LB's because you can't throw a lob. The third kinda plays into the second and into what the guys over at OS said in their review. Linebackers are just way to responsive to the ball, you'll have an open receiver, throw the ball then a LB who is 5+ yards away from the line of the pass jets over, does some crazy jump and picks off the pass. Unless the pass within a couple of steps of the guy and he's the next Urlacher I don't really think we should be seeing this. The other complain I have heard is with DB's being too responsive, I dunno, I haven't really seen too many breaks that are that way out there to me. Sometimes your receiver is gonna catch it, occasionally the DB is gonna get a good jump and get it, maybe the Wideouts should be more competitive but it's not that bad IMO.

Izulde 08-07-2007 01:25 PM

CL mode is still a blast, but fuck do the end-zone interceptions by the Tar Heels' QB suck! *beats head against wall*

It's like having Corey Bramlet in powder blue!

Just dropped a 34-31 thriller to #5 Virginia Tech at Lane Stadium, our first loss of the year, primarily because of Brooks's 4 INTs.

rowech 08-07-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilodor (Post 1519443)
I think the reason that interceptions are so prevalent this year is down to three things, one good, two bad. The first is I think we throw it up too often and have been spoiled by the very little risk compared to reward in previous versions. In 08 if you just throw it up, it's most likely incomplete, but there is a chance that it will be picked or caught as it should be. The two problems are, we have very little control over the pass strength. I find it incredibly difficult to throw a lob or medium lob pass, all I can throw is hard and laser, which is incredibly frustrating when you actually have an open receiver 15 yards behind the linebackers, but you can get the ball over the LB's because you can't throw a lob. The third kinda plays into the second and into what the guys over at OS said in their review. Linebackers are just way to responsive to the ball, you'll have an open receiver, throw the ball then a LB who is 5+ yards away from the line of the pass jets over, does some crazy jump and picks off the pass. Unless the pass within a couple of steps of the guy and he's the next Urlacher I don't really think we should be seeing this. The other complain I have heard is with DB's being too responsive, I dunno, I haven't really seen too many breaks that are that way out there to me. Sometimes your receiver is gonna catch it, occasionally the DB is gonna get a good jump and get it, maybe the Wideouts should be more competitive but it's not that bad IMO.

The touch passing you can deal with a bit. Just tap the button or use the stick to control it a bit it seems. The third part you mention is the major problem. Linebackers and safeties are simply too quick to the ball and can jump 80 feet high.

rowech 08-07-2007 01:35 PM

Has anyone read enough about Madden to know how close/far it will be from NCAA?

Bee 08-07-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 1519501)

I've been wondering about that as well. The CL mode in NCAA 08 has been the most fun I've had with an EA sports game in years so if that translates to Madden then I'll probably pick it up.

gstelmack 08-07-2007 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic (Post 1519425)
see, but that's the point of CL. you are one cog in a system. you aren't controlling the whole system, just one piece of it. i've had my QB blow some huge games for me, out of my 3 seasons of CL my RB was only able to get 1 bowl win. my showcase is pretty much empty. we went to 3 bowl games and while i was able to do my part, i obviously couldn't score everytime i touched the ball and ultimately my success was in the hands of another person. that's realistic.

but yes, there've been times my eyes got big being out in the flats with NO ONE around me and a sure td to be had and the QB throws it the other way. that's football. the open guy doesn't always get the ball.

My issue is mostly that my "impact" QB throws 3+ picks per game. That's all. I love CL mode, for the reasons you mentioned and because I get to do things such as block that I don't do otherwise.

And you won't find me crying that I keep getting hit right after the handoff because we have a porous Offensive Line.

Just that my impact QB keeps throwing picks...

Eaglesfan27 08-07-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic (Post 1519407)

With the sliders I'm using, true stud QB's throw hardly any int's and have some excellent games. However, above average QB often throw at least 2 a game. Below average QB's are throwing 3-4 a game and bad ones are throwing even more. It's not a game killer for me, but it is frustrating, because I like everything else about the game.

Eaglesfan27 08-07-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 1519411)
What sliders do you recommend changing to solve this problem? I was talking to my brother last night and he was complaining about too many interceptions in the game. Even if he turned them down, defenders just kept getting in the way of passes, but instead of intercepting it, the ball just bounced off them. The frequency sounded a bit alarming.

I would lower defensive awareness for the human (and CPU if you want too) to at least 25. I've experimented with 20, but any lower than that and the offense can put up too many big plays. I lowered interceptions to 0 and knockdowns are up to 95.

Eaglesfan27 08-07-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 1519501)

From reading previews, it is a very similar but is supposedly more polished. However, interceptions and fumbles are similar to NCAA in that they are overdone. Supposedly, a patch will be out sometime after release to fix that issue.

rowech 08-07-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 1519607)
From reading previews, it is a very similar but is supposedly more polished. However, interceptions and fumbles are similar to NCAA in that they are overdone. Supposedly, a patch will be out sometime after release to fix that issue.

For NCAA as well?

Eaglesfan27 08-07-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 1519621)
For NCAA as well?

The producers have been quoted as saying there will be a patch for Madden. The NCAA producers haven't said they will make one for NCAA, but there is speculation they will release one since the two engines are supposed to be very similiar.

Icy 08-07-2007 04:43 PM

I'm having way more realistic INT numbers now using these settings in the USF dynasty I'm running.

Human Def Awareness = 10 (I have computer Def Aw at 60 so they play a bit smarter and can defend better)
Human and Computer INT = 0
Human and Computer Knockdowns = 30

I'm not having big defensive problems with def Aw such low. My main problem is on the offensive part, I suck at reading defenses, and once i do, i don't have enough time to call audible or set hot route, the damn 30 seconds per play are too short, but that can't be fixed with sliders :) I find myself throwing most of the time to my RB, TE or WR running throgh the middle, but can't conect with any WR running long routes close to the sidelines. If i throw to them, it's a secure INT.

Icy 08-07-2007 04:48 PM

BTW, not sure if we have a thread here about madden, but an early review from sportsgamer doesn't look so good about Owner mode (or better said the lack of it). It seems that the next gen Madden 08 is still going to lack current gen consoles/Pc owner mode features.

kingnebwsu 08-07-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 1519557)
My issue is mostly that my "impact" QB throws 3+ picks per game. That's all. I love CL mode, for the reasons you mentioned and because I get to do things such as block that I don't do otherwise.

And you won't find me crying that I keep getting hit right after the handoff because we have a porous Offensive Line.

Yep, that's my big problem. Even with my INT slider at ZERO my solidly rated Ohio State QB is throwing 3-6 INT's per game. At least one pick-six a game. This mode is pretty much unplayable when my QB commits a turnover on half of the possessions.

Anthony 08-09-2007 10:55 AM

i had to go down to Varsity level. way too many INTs for my liking on AA, and i just couldn't make some throws. the point of playing games is to have fun, and i wasn't having fun on AA. too hard. besides, we don't get bonus points or awards for playing on harder levels. varsity was a lot more fun for me. my WRs were able to make more catches/plays. felt more realistic.

rowech 08-09-2007 11:14 AM

I did a dynasty with Boston College. I went 3-8 and it was evident that either I sucked or BC sucked. I switched over to Penn State and went 8-5 including a Poinsetta Bowl win versus San Diego State. However, I did land the #1 recruiting class in the country. There was a huge difference between Penn State's WR's and Boston College's. PSU's are so much faster and make such better cuts. My passing game really increased with them. Made the game fun. Still too many INTs from the 40 foot jumping LBers but that's just going to be part of the game I think.

mh2365 08-10-2007 04:06 PM

I know this is superficial but the lack of alternate uni's on the 360 is annoying

nilodor 08-10-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 1519557)

Mine threw 52 this year. Annoying to say the least.

Balldog 08-10-2007 08:18 PM

Anyone have this for PS2? I'm just not feeling it for XBOX 360.

Mike1409 08-11-2007 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mh2365 (Post 1522018)
I know this is superficial but the lack of alternate uni's on the 360 is annoying

Agreed and heres the thing, they could solve a ton of issues just by seperating the pants and tops. That would give every team up to 4 options without any new designing.

Eaglesfan27 08-11-2007 08:40 AM

Not that it helps now, but the developers have already said they will be releasing free alternate uniforms via an update ("sometime before the holiday season" is the time frame they have given.) There is speculation they will sneak a patch in that update to address the interception/fumble issues.

rowech 08-11-2007 11:01 AM

Madden reviews are up at 1up and Team Xbox...getting great reviews.

MizzouRah 08-11-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowech (Post 1522431)
Madden reviews are up at 1up and Team Xbox...getting great reviews.

Early copies = great reviews.

Richard Weed 08-11-2007 07:47 PM

Early copies = great reviews = early copies next year

Aug 14 copies = great initial reviews = pissed off future reviews = waiting until release date next year

nilodor 08-13-2007 09:50 PM

I'm really getting into this game now, I seem to be adapting to the interception situations and am having some really fun games. One good thing I noticed is this season I am starting a 4* freshman at middle linebacker and he makes some fantastic plays but his lack of awareness shows. He'll hit the wrong hole on runs sometime, get washed out of some plays, then comeback, not bite on play action and make a big pick. As I'm moving through the game I'm noticing that you need to scout the other team, pick on the bad players and work through that way.

Anthony 08-13-2007 10:54 PM

trading in my copy for madden 08 tomorrow. i just don't have any allegiance to any of the schools. my alma mater is not in the game. i'll have a ton more fun playing as the Giants.

Icy 08-14-2007 04:26 AM

I must admit i'm enjoying a ton the CL mode as QB. As i can call audibles, I can get over the stupid playcalling AI . I created an option QB and after not playing the whole first season i'm the starter now for Miami. I'm going to finish this and to export it to madden to see how well/bad can do my version of Vick in the NLF (without the crap around him).

My madden preorder was shiped to me yesterday so it should be here before the weekend. The CL and SS modes are the main reason for me to get NCAA/Madden as i doubt i'll can get over the franchise problems to really enjoy it.

Ironhead 08-14-2007 07:39 PM

In my dynasty I just started recruiting a punter who ran a 4.22 in the 40. :eek:

It would be kind of interesting to have a player handling punting and kick returning duties. :D

Richard Weed 08-14-2007 08:53 PM

HA, sorry I couldn't connect to you. Really weird.

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-14-2007 09:19 PM

Some interesting sales numbers for NCAA Football 2008. The PS3 version of the game actually sold more units per installed consoles than the Xbox 360. Pretty amazing considering the PS3 version was the inferior version of the game with the frame rate issue.

Rank Software Title Platform July Total

1 NCAA Football 2008 Xbox 360............ 516,875
4 NCAA Football 2008 PS2................... 258,316

MizzouRah 08-14-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan (Post 1525070)
Some interesting sales numbers for NCAA Football 2008. The PS3 version of the game actually sold more units per installed consoles than the Xbox 360. Pretty amazing considering the PS3 version was the inferior version of the game with the frame rate issue.

Rank Software Title Platform July Total

1 NCAA Football 2008 Xbox 360............ 516,875
4 NCAA Football 2008 PS2................... 258,316

Considering the lack of quality titles for the ps3, what did you expect?

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-15-2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 1525130)
Considering the lack of quality titles for the ps3, what did you expect?

I don't think it speaks to the titles by any means. There's a good game coming out for the PS3 just about every week for the next 3 months at this point. I think it speaks more to how blind the general consumer base is to some of the problems in these EA games. Certainly shows that marketing will overcome lousy development.

Eaglesfan27 08-15-2007 08:52 AM

ROFL. I'd love to see your list of "good games" coming out every week for the next 3 months for the PS3.

gstelmack 08-15-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 (Post 1525301)
ROFL. I'd love to see your list of "good games" coming out every week for the next 3 months for the PS3.

This is why I don't respond in the other thread, but now it comes here. He managed to turn the "PS3 is selling way fewer copies of Madden" into a good spin for Sony, when all it really means is those folks are starved for anything to play on it. The Playstation has always had a strong sports gaming component, and the Xbox 360 folks have a ton of other games to play. The numbers still show that there are far more Madden fans with 360s than there are with PS3s...

KWhit 08-15-2007 09:34 AM

Mizzou B-ball fan 08-15-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 1525321)
This is why I don't respond in the other thread, but now it comes here. He managed to turn the "PS3 is selling way fewer copies of Madden" into a good spin for Sony, when all it really means is those folks are starved for anything to play on it. The Playstation has always had a strong sports gaming component, and the Xbox 360 folks have a ton of other games to play. The numbers still show that there are far more Madden fans with 360s than there are with PS3s...

I'm totally confused here. I haven't made a post anywhere about Madden sales figures. The only post I made in this thread was my surprise that PS3 owners weren't disuaded by the fact that the PS3 football games were running at a lower frame rate and seem to have purchased the game at the same percenage as 360 owners did. That was a statement as to my relative shock at the sales figures, not any promotion of the PS3 in any way. I expected the adoption rate to be less on the PS3.

I'd also add that I wasn't the one to bring the console war into the discussion. I was talking only about the game.

Eaglesfan27 08-15-2007 10:08 AM

Some huge leaps of faith on that list to call them good games.. I'm willing to bet that Lair is going to be a big flop in comparision to the expectations.

gstelmack 08-15-2007 03:07 PM

So one thing that the discussion of the announcers in Madden made me remember to comment on here: I actually think it's cool that there is almost no announcer commentary during the high school games, that when I play some podunk Division II school there is just a generic PA announcer, and that when I play another well-known school it's the full ESPN crew. I was realising this when my South Florida Bulls played Louisiana-Monroe and Louisiana-Lafayette and had the boring guy, but when we played UNC or Rutgers or Louisville, etc we get the full crew.

Actually a kind of nice touch.

Pumpy Tudors 08-15-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 1525655)
So one thing that the discussion of the announcers in Madden made me remember to comment on here: I actually think it's cool that there is almost no announcer commentary during the high school games, that when I play some podunk Division II school there is just a generic PA announcer, and that when I play another well-known school it's the full ESPN crew. I was realising this when my South Florida Bulls played Louisiana-Monroe and Louisiana-Lafayette and had the boring guy, but when we played UNC or Rutgers or Louisville, etc we get the full crew.

Actually a kind of nice touch.

Yep, it's been this way in the game for at least a couple of years now. You only get the ESPN crew when it's a televised game. For me, playing as Memphis, it helps keep the commentary from getting stale any faster. It's pretty much the same commentary as the past 3 or 4 years, but at least I'm not hearing it every single game. Of course, if I were playing as a bigger football school, I'd hear it much more often and might even be tempted to turn it off. Still, I get what EA was trying to do here, and I agree that it's a nice touch.

astrosfan64 08-15-2007 05:19 PM

I can't take Lee Corso

Richard Weed 08-15-2007 06:02 PM

The commentary at times is off by about a play. This is usually after there was a challenge and I skipped through the numerous replays. It also happens when I pick my play immediately (within 2 seconds) and hurry up to the line and they're still talking about the last play's formation.

Radii 08-15-2007 10:17 PM

So I gave up on ever learning to be a QB in this game, and decided to play another CL career as a running back, this time at Arkansas just to blow everyone away. I got really good in practice pretty quickly, and about 5 weeks into the season I take over from McFadden as the starter, 99 overall rating, 99 speed, everything in 90s of course.

Our first game? FCS SE, the poor no-skill division I-AA school. Every time I carried the ball I scored a touchdown, no matter where on the field I was. Break 1 tackle and outrun everyone else. 6 carries, 314 yards, 6 TDs.... Dont' forget the passing game though! 3 receptions, 74 yards, 2 TDs. One catch my momentum took me out of bounds immediately. Oh yeah, we were winning 77-7 at the half, I didn't play any the second half, those are 1st half numbers only.

Nice way to start a career i guess, I should be breaking about every record there is, though I'm looking forward to games against LSU and UGA and the like to see how I do against good teams w/ these ratings.

kingnebwsu 08-16-2007 12:07 AM

Good luck with CL mode as a RB. My QB has been downright awful and despite my 250 yds/game average out of the backfield, Ohio State won't be making a bowl game (mostly due to the QB's awful INT...4-5/game).

Icy 08-16-2007 06:14 AM

I have been a dominant QB so far in my CL. I created a scrambling one, had crap High School playoffs (lost in the first game) and signed for Miami as the 5th QB (with only 71 overal ratings). In my freshman season i just trained and was the kick holder until got the starting spot in the last game of the season (raising my ratings to 86). In my sophomore season I was the starter and I have break all the rushing records but were just average on passing (my coach call option plays most of the time).

- Had one game with 385 rushing yards and 5 rushing TD plus 8 / 15 for 1 passing TD.

- My longest run for TD was a 87 yards one.

- Ran for 2085 yards that season being the top rusher, above all the RB's in the NCAA.

- Also had a crap record being the most sacked QB in the NCAA, they really put a lot of pressure and i need to read better the blitzes.

The bad news is that despite my incredible rushing numbers, even more for a QB, we were 5-7 that season that is really dissapointing for Miami.

I'm going to start my junior season (rated 92) now and probably will declare for the draft after it. I'm really looking forward to see how can do a QB like this in the NFL without the option plays (M.Vick?).

My next CL will be probably in the defensive side, a MLB.

Here is one handling the pressure in the pocket:

MizzouRah 09-02-2007 02:42 PM

Allright, I kept NCAA and APF - Madden went back today for a deposit on NHL 08.

What's the consensus for quarter lenghts for NCAA?

nilodor 09-02-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 1537297)
Allright, I kept NCAA and APF - Madden went back today for a deposit on NHL 08.

What's the consensus for quarter lenghts for NCAA?

I've been playing with 7 minute quarters. It seems to give good results and I have also seen other people mention they are using 7 as well.

Ironhead 09-02-2007 04:24 PM

I have been using 8 minutes and have been pretty happy with the results. Total number of plays will be a little light - probably averaging about 110 to 120 between the two teams with the CPU generally running more plays than I do. It's working for me though.

mh2365 09-02-2007 04:32 PM

CL is an absolute joke ... you can take a 60 overall player and turn him into a 90 overall player by the end of the first year ..just way too easy

MizzouRah 09-02-2007 04:53 PM

Thanks guys! I think I'll go with 8 for now to see how that plays out.

Eaglesfan27 09-02-2007 06:02 PM

I've been going with 8 as well, although I use a few minutes of quick sim each game to boost the number of plays to a more realistic number.

gstelmack 09-02-2007 06:23 PM

I restarted my CL deciding to be a QB instead of RB, looking ahead at the possibility of importing him into Madden. I was also getting tired of an O-Line that leaked like a sieve, so this time I accepted as West Virginia's QB.

Season 1 ended with us #3. I took over halfway through, but by then we had lost our opener to Western Michigan :confused: which kept us out of the National Championship game.

I've switched to the INT 100 / KNOCKDOWN 0 sliders and am having a lot of fun. I can actually whip a pass past a LB who is running the other way without him turning around and grabbing it from midair. I've also seen completions go through the hands of a defender going for the pick. MUCH nicer. Threw behind a receiver and he made a sliding catch while leaning back. Really cool.

Just started season 2, and had to fight for #1 on the depth chart again. I was a 98 overall, but the senior was now a 99. Didn't take long, but was still interesting.

Eaglesfan27 09-02-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gstelmack (Post 1537365)

I've switched to the INT 100 / KNOCKDOWN 0 sliders and am having a lot of fun. I can actually whip a pass past a LB who is running the other way without him turning around and grabbing it from midair.

Hmm, I'm happy with the high knockdown, low interception settings as the QB's have generally been throwing only a few per game and if I'm careful I can avoid too many picks, but I've heard enough people say that this setting works better that I should give it a try tonight. Did you lower defensive awareness or make any other changes?