Front Office Football Central

Front Office Football Central (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//index.php)
-   FOFC Archive (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The OFFICIAL 2009-10 NHL Regular Season Thread (http://forums.operationsports.com/fofc//showthread.php?t=74771)

Logan 02-04-2010 07:17 PM

You guys know how much I like Pumpy...yet I would punch him in the face if it meant Lou would become the NYR GM.

Pyser 02-04-2010 07:27 PM

hey, we got salmella back too. guess he replaced oduya next year, if he ever develops (devils traded salmella for havelid last year)

Pumpy Tudors 02-04-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2218712)
You guys know how much I like Pumpy...yet I would punch him in the face if it meant Lou would become the NYR GM.

How the hell does Lou do it?!

Pyser 02-04-2010 08:26 PM

also, the teams swapped 2nds. so assuming the thrashers dont make the playoffs now, the devils dont drop THAT far without their 1st rounder.

Young Drachma 02-04-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samifan24 (Post 2217975)
Any Avs fans here? What's the deal with this Brandon Yip kid and when will he stop scoring goals?

My roommate is an Avs fan and goes on and on about him. And dudes on the fourth line. Having seen a few of their games now, he's the real deal.

Young Drachma 02-04-2010 08:36 PM

As for the Devils trade, I think it's a net positive. I mean, Marty isn't gonna be able to do this for another three years. If they're gonna go after it, seems like it's worth pushing for it.

bbor 02-04-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2218712)

You like Pumpy???:eek: :eek:

:D

Fidatelo 02-04-2010 09:31 PM

Interesting trade there... I think I like what Atlanta pulled off, although I've never been a huge fan of Kovalchuk for whatever reason. Should be interesting to see how Kovalchuk fits in on a team that historically has stressed being responsible in your own zone, back-checking, etc.

Draft Dodger 02-04-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 2218742)
My roommate is an Avs fan and goes on and on about him. And dudes on the fourth line. Having seen a few of their games now, he's the real deal.

he's actually playing on the 2nd line right now, with fellow rookies Duchene Galiardi. he's a good little player. not a top 6 guy in the long run, but he's playing pretty well at the moment

Young Drachma 02-04-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Dodger (Post 2218758)
he's actually playing on the 2nd line right now, with fellow rookies Duchene Galiardi. he's a good little player. not a top 6 guy in the long run, but he's playing pretty well at the moment

It's like Rookie Central over there. (over there being like a few blocks from the house...)

Draft Dodger 02-04-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Cloud (Post 2218759)
It's like Rookie Central over there. (over there being like a few blocks from the house...)

it's pretty crazy. it's a young team and most of the youngsters are playing really, really well.

Wolfpack 02-04-2010 10:00 PM

Next up for auction, Lot #13. This item is the fine veteran left winger, Ray Whitney, aka "The Wizard." 16 goals, 25 assists. Yes, a -5 in +/-, but considering just about everyone on his team is a "-" this year, it's not so bad. Would make a good addition to any Stanley Cup contender.

This lot has a minimum reserve that must be met to negate a "no trade clause". Do I have any opening bids?

Fidatelo 02-04-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfpack (Post 2218763)
Next up for auction, Lot #13. This item is the fine veteran left winger, Ray Whitney, aka "The Wizard." 16 goals, 25 assists. Yes, a -5 in +/-, but considering just about everyone on his team is a "-" this year, it's not so bad. Would make a good addition to any Stanley Cup contender.

This lot has a minimum reserve that must be met to negate a "no trade clause". Do I have any opening bids?

Except he's almost always a "-" player. I wouldn't touch a guy like that if I ran a contending team.

DeToxRox 02-05-2010 02:01 PM

NSFW but so fucking funny.

Dr. Sak 02-05-2010 04:14 PM

Dr. Sak 02-05-2010 05:18 PM

Now this is loyalty!

The700Level.com - Philly Sports & Minutiae: A Flyers Fan's Pickle

JPhillips 02-05-2010 08:25 PM

Go Caps!

DeToxRox 02-05-2010 08:27 PM

Not NHL but if you have the Big 10 Network, Michigan and Wisconsin are playing outside at Camp Randall at 6:30 est Saturday.

TurnerONU22 02-05-2010 08:56 PM

After going back on his decision to stay away from the Leafs for the month of February, I thinking ML is regretting that now.

The Leafs just collapsed and blew a 2 goal lead in the last 3 mins of the game to the Devils.

Johnny93g 02-05-2010 09:37 PM

Brian Burke's youngest son passed away today in a car accident.
Condolences to Burke and the Leaf family

samifan24 02-05-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny93g (Post 2219274)
Brian Burke's youngest son passed away today in a car accident.
Condolences to Burke and the Leaf family

RIP Brendan Burke.

As I said earlier I grew up with Brendan and his brother. He was a good man and taken far, far too soon. My heart goes out to his family. Just devastating news.

Suburban Rhythm 02-06-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2219150)

Beautiful

Except, he left the part out of his letter that he hasn't gotten laid since 1975.

Suburban Rhythm 02-06-2010 01:16 PM

Leino to Philly, OK Tollefson and a 5th to Detroit.

I have seen the Wings alot this year, so can't speak on Leino...but Tollefson?

Edit to add-- Wings subsequently release Tollefson

I'll be the first to accuse Detroit of tanking!

;)

Dr. Sak 02-06-2010 01:19 PM

I would've taken a bag of pucks for Tollefson.

Honolulu_Blue 02-06-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2219462)
Leino to Philly, OK Tollefson and a 5th to Detroit.

I have seen the Wings alot this year, so can't speak on Leino...but Tollefson?

Edit to add-- Wings subsequently release Tollefson

I'll be the first to accuse Detroit of tanking!

;)

Leino has been a total disappoint so far this season. They need to salary dump because both Franzen and Lilja are due back soon.

Suburban Rhythm 02-06-2010 05:12 PM

Pens lose to Habs 5-3. Flying to Newark, then busing into Washington.

Pumpy Tudors 02-06-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2219127)

This is epic, by the way.

sterlingice 02-06-2010 07:49 PM

I particularly like that he's putting sunglasses over a pair of sunglasses

SI

bbor 02-06-2010 10:56 PM

Back to back shut outs for Jiggy...Wow....where has this guy been all my life.

Chief Rum 02-07-2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbor (Post 2219620)
Back to back shut outs for Jiggy...Wow....where has this guy been all my life.

Hmm...Montreal as a kid, then New York, then Calgary, and then a long time in Anaheim. Do a youtube search for "Giguere" and "Stanley Cup". ;)

Chief Rum 02-07-2010 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingice (Post 2219577)
I particularly like that he's putting sunglasses over a pair of sunglasses

SI

I was wondering if anyone else particularly liked that part. By far my favorite.

Suburban Rhythm 02-07-2010 01:52 PM

Ridiculously good Pens-Caps game today. I really hope these 2 meet in the playoffs again, although I fear the result won't be the same as last year.

sterlingice 02-07-2010 05:10 PM

Argh. When I got called into work, it was a ho-hum 2-0 game and I miss the fun part :(

SI

Suburban Rhythm 02-07-2010 06:10 PM

Pretty good story they did just at the beginning of Pens-Caps

The Pens flight left Montreal at 7:00, landed in Newark and bussed into DC. They arrive in DC about 2:30, the players to the hotel, the staff to the arena to get the room ready. At 4:30, the equipment guys decide they'll just sleep in the arena rather than go back to the hotel...along with one additional helper.

Christopher Shero, Ray's 14 year old son. That had to be a pretty great trip to be on.

Wolfpack 02-07-2010 10:54 PM

The on-then-off trade of Niclas Wallin from Carolina to San Jose is finally on, thus beginning the process of tearing down and rebuilding the Hurricanes. Carolina sent a 2010 fifth round pick along with Wallin in exchange for San Jose's second round pick that they picked up from Buffalo.

Really stinks that they blew the Alberta leg of the road trip they just finished up. Had Carolina won both those games instead of losing both, then they'd be on an eight-game streak and, remarkably, just six points out of the playoffs. Ten points is probably too much with the time left and the number of teams ahead of them. Delusional, I know, but given how crappy the East is this year, not as far-fetched as it could have been. I think that if trends hold, the last two or three teams in the East aren't going to crack 90 points this year and the eighth place team may not get much more than 85.

JPhillips 02-08-2010 08:27 AM

Logan 02-08-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPhillips (Post 2220363)

You trying to lure Ken Daneyko into here?

Pumpy Tudors 02-08-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2220393)
You trying to lure Ken Daneyko into here?

UNCALLED FOR

Logan 02-08-2010 10:32 AM

This is my 20th post in this thread. I'm pretty sure at least 17 of them have been for the sole purpose of getting some kind of reaction out of Pumpy.

Arena Football was destined to fail.

Pumpy Tudors 02-08-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2220415)
This is my 20th post in this thread. I'm pretty sure at least 17 of them have been for the sole purpose of getting some kind of reaction out of Pumpy.

Arena Football was destined to fail.

What the hell, man! Did you get the clap from me and you're still bitter about it? Or, in hockey terms, did your team get Scott Gomez from my team and you're still bitter about it?

Ah, it all makes sense now...

Dr. Sak 02-08-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors (Post 2220429)
What the hell, man! Did you get the clap from me and you're still bitter about it? Or, in hockey terms, did your team get Scott Gomez from my team and you're still bitter about it?

Speaking of which...Bob Gainey just stepped down as GM of the Habs.

Pumpy Tudors 02-08-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2220444)

Scott Gomez is a disease.

Pyser 02-08-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2220444)

thought this was a joke. what gm steps down with like 4 games left before the trade deadline? forced out?

also, love this tsn poll about gainey:

what was gaineys best move as gm?

-trading for kovalev
-getting huet and bonk from la
-hiring carbonneau
-getting gorges
-signing cammalleri
-drafting price

not the biggest moves in the world...

Dr. Sak 02-08-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyser (Post 2220471)
thought this was a joke. what gm steps down with like 4 games left before the trade deadline? forced out?

DownGoesBrown

Gainey is "voluntarily" stepping down as GM in the same way I "voluntarily" leave the bar after the bouncer tells me he's throwing me out.

johnnyshaka 02-09-2010 09:44 AM

What, no talk of the Carter hit?

Pyser 02-09-2010 12:39 PM

another shoulder to head "legal" hit. what can you do?

Dr. Sak 02-09-2010 12:45 PM

First off, I am glad the kid is okay. I heard he was walking around in the locker room after the game and never had to go to the hospital.

But any Devils fan who has a problem with this hit is a hypocrite. Their beloved Scott Stevens made a living hitting people this way and even ended a few careers (Eric Lindros for one) and he was cheered every time.

I thought it was shoulder to shoulder with the brunt of the damage happening when he hit the ice face first.

Pumpy Tudors 02-09-2010 12:57 PM

It's hockey. People get hit. At least in my opinion, it didn't appear to be malicious, so I just shrug it off. Yeah, it sucks, but it happens sometimes. No need for me to get into a rage about it.

I haven't seen the hit since last night, but I agree with Sak that it appeared most of the damage came from Salmela hitting the ice, not from taking Carter's shoulder.

johnnyshaka 02-09-2010 01:22 PM

Well, the damage hitting the ice likely happened because he appeared to be out cold BEFORE hitting the ice.

Either way, crappy result after a clean hit, IMO. I just wonder if the guy is out cold if Carter is wearing shoulder pads like the ones I used to wear 20 years ago...mostly cloth/foam with little or no rock hard plastic??

Dr. Sak 02-09-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyshaka (Post 2221174)
Either way, crappy result after a clean hit, IMO. I just wonder if the guy is out cold if Carter is wearing shoulder pads like the ones I used to wear 20 years ago...mostly cloth/foam with little or no rock hard plastic??

I think you make a great point about the padding!

Pyser 02-09-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2221140)

But any Devils fan who has a problem with this hit is a hypocrite. Their beloved Scott Stevens made a living hitting people this way and even ended a few careers (Eric Lindros for one) and he was cheered every time.

well, scott stevens hit them from the front. carter was behind salmela

he didnt mean to hurt him, and salmela had his head down, but there was no way he could see it coming.

just an unfortunate play, really.

JonInMiddleGA 02-09-2010 08:22 PM

Kari Lehtonen to Dallas for defenceman Ivan Vishnevsky and a fourth-round draft choice.

Stars fans, please enjoy your turn with the glass-groined Sta-Puft Marshmellow Goalie

Wolfpack 02-09-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA (Post 2221496)
Kari Lehtonen to Dallas for defenceman Ivan Vishnevsky and a fourth-round draft choice.

Stars fans, please enjoy your turn with the glass-groined Sta-Puft Marshmellow Goalie

So, you're saying the Thrashers got the better end of that deal, then? :)

Back in Raleigh after a four-game road trip, the Canes dump Florida, 4-1. Carolina's now won 7 of 9. Great, fellas. Nice you could figure it all out after eviscerating your season before Thanksgiving.

Still, given how crappy the East is this year, I'm harboring delusions that they can somehow get back into the playoff chase. Hell, had they won both games in Alberta instead of lost both, they'd have tied the franchise win streak record with nine in a row and would only be six out of the playoffs. Then again, it probably doesn't matter since it's looking very likely that Cam Ward is on the shelf for the year with back issues and I just don't see how a Manny Legace/Justin Peters combo can backstop the team for such an improbable finish (at least 17-6 to even get a sniff of the playoffs).

JonInMiddleGA 02-09-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfpack (Post 2221610)
So, you're saying the Thrashers got the better end of that deal, then? :)

Nah, this is da Thrash after all. Just means the rookie will be a dud & Letonein will still be Letonein.

Dr. Sak 02-11-2010 08:15 AM

Before Monday the Flyers had not come back from a goal goal deficit to win a game this year but did it twice in two games against the Devils. Pretty crazy because I thought Jersey should've won both games. Especially last night they totally controlled the 3rd period out shooting the Flyers 7-1.

Flyers have won 4 of 5 against the Devils this year and it's the first time they have beat the Devils 4 times in the regular season in 20 years.

It's interesting to look at matchups and how certain teams have problems with another...

Pens have taken 4 of 5 from the Flyers
Flyers have taken 4 of 5 from the Devils
Devils have taken 4 of 4 from the Pens

Pyser 02-11-2010 12:36 PM

the devils have problems right now, yes.

thank god the olympics are happening.

Logan 02-11-2010 01:36 PM

Rangers waived Brashear. Good use of dollars.

Suburban Rhythm 02-11-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2222494)
Before Monday the Flyers had not come back from a goal goal deficit to win a game this year but did it twice in two games against the Devils. Pretty crazy because I thought Jersey should've won both games. Especially last night they totally controlled the 3rd period out shooting the Flyers 7-1.

Flyers have won 4 of 5 against the Devils this year and it's the first time they have beat the Devils 4 times in the regular season in 20 years.

It's interesting to look at matchups and how certain teams have problems with another...

Pens have taken 4 of 5 from the Flyers
Flyers have taken 4 of 5 from the Devils
Devils have taken 4 of 2 from the Pens

Fixed...2 of those games shouldn't even count as games played for NJ. Pens were that bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyser (Post 2222828)
the devils have problems right now, yes.

thank god the olympics are happening.

Are the Olympics really a good thing for NJ? Do they really need Brodeur playing another 10 games, then coming back to a condensed schedule playing probably 18 of 20 games in a 5 week period?

Pyser 02-11-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2223107)
Fixed...2 of those games shouldn't even count as games played for NJ. Pens were that bad.

Are the Olympics really a good thing for NJ? Do they really need Brodeur playing another 10 games, then coming back to a condensed schedule playing probably 18 of 20 games in a 5 week period?

hey now, the devils had as many as 5 or 6 regulars out for the pitt games, too.

as for the olympics, any break helps when youve wont like 4 of 14 or so.

Dr. Sak 02-12-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2222914)

Thank you for letting Blair Betts walk and signing Brashear. Flyers just signed Betts to a 2 yr extension worth 700k each year.

Logan 02-12-2010 08:53 AM

I have a friend whose father hasn't attended a game all year because they signed Brashear after what he did to Betts. I couldn't believe Sather made that move.

Dr. Sak 02-12-2010 10:01 AM

Sucky time for the Florida Panther Fan

A Letter From The Owners - Florida Panthers - News

Dr. Sak 02-12-2010 10:02 AM

Dola

The Ottawa Senators have added forward Matt Cullen from the Carolina Hurricanes for defenceman Alexandre Picard and a second round draft pick.

Honolulu_Blue 02-12-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2223432)
Sucky time for the Florida Panther Fan

A Letter From The Owners - Florida Panthers - News

All four of them must be very upset.

Dr. Sak 02-12-2010 10:14 AM

Hence why I used the singular version of fan :)

Honolulu_Blue 02-12-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2223442)
Hence why I used the singular version of fan :)

I kind of always liked the Panthers. Their playoff run in '96 was pretty fun, though the whole "rat trick" thing became a bit obnoxious towards the end. I was a huge fan of Paul Laus back in the day.

Honolulu_Blue 02-12-2010 10:21 AM

Apparently, the Wings are going to waive Brad May and put someone (likely Kronwall) on LTI to make cap space for the return of Adreas Lilja, who hasn't played in a year.

While it's good to see Lilja finally healthy, his return to the line-up really doesn't thrill me. So far this year, Ericsson has sort of filled the "bad give away" role Lilja held for so many years, so it will be a little scary to have two of them back there, especially if it means Kronwall sits for longer.

Chief Rum 02-12-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2223454)
Apparently, the Wings are going to waive Brad May and put someone (likely Kronwall) on LTI to make cap space for the return of Adreas Lilja, who hasn't played in a year.

While it's good to see Lilja finally healthy, his return to the line-up really doesn't thrill me. So far this year, Ericsson has sort of filled the "bad give away" role Lilja held for so many years, so it will be a little scary to have two of them back there, especially if it means Kronwall sits for longer.

Maybe if you're lucky, they'll pair them together and you'll only get the bad giveaways on one shift. ;)

Honolulu_Blue 02-12-2010 11:13 AM

Cheechoo is on waivers. What a spectacular fall from the top.

MikeVic 02-12-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2223505)
Cheechoo is on waivers. What a spectacular fall from the top.

Wow what happened to him!

Honolulu_Blue 02-12-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2222914)

And then they turn around and fill that "toughness" void by trading a draft pick to the Sharks for Jody Shelley.

Also, the Blackhawks begin their cap purge by sending Cam Barker to Minnesota for Kim Johnsson and prospect Nick Leddy.

Not a bad move by the Blackhawks. Johnsson is a decent enough replacement for Barker this year and he's an UFA at the end of the year and Leddy was a first round pick and, likely, still a viable prospect.

bronconick 02-12-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeVic (Post 2223507)
Wow what happened to him!

He wasn't a fast skater to begin with, and then had knee, groin and hernia injuries.

Galaxy 02-12-2010 10:39 PM

Sabres need to get their head out of their asses and get it together. Miller was rather blunt/pissed after the last game.

bhlloy 02-14-2010 12:26 AM

Pretty nasty late hit by Cam Janssen of the Blues today on Matt Bradley. One of the latest hits I've seen since... well since Janssen did this last time on Kaberle. Should be at least 5 games this time, couldn't argue with 10 or 15 to be honest.

Johnny93g 02-14-2010 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 2224204)
Pretty nasty late hit by Cam Janssen of the Blues today on Matt Bradley. One of the latest hits I've seen since... well since Janssen did this last time on Kaberle. Should be at least 5 games this time, couldn't argue with 10 or 15 to be honest.

Janssen took another run at Kaberle on Friday night. That guy is the worst thing about hockey. He has hurt people before, and he will continue to hurt people when they are defenseless. 2 goals in 200 games. Horrible even for a 1 dimensional fighter. That was a terrible hit on Bradley. He had no chance to defend himself. That's trying to put someone out. The dirtiest player in hockey today.

Dr. Sak 02-14-2010 06:05 PM

bhlloy 02-14-2010 08:54 PM

So I guess Getzlaf really wants to play in the Olympics. Apparently he was told unless he played and played well tonight against the Oilers he wouldn't make the team and responded with a 2 goal, 2 assist night. Hopefully the ankle doesn't flare up again afterwards and he'll be there.

No disrespect to Carter who is a very good player but I think Getzlaf is going to open some eyes at the Olympics. He's a pretty rare combination of size, stickhandling and passing and really doesn't get the respect from the rest of the league he deserves IMO.

Dr. Sak 02-14-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 2224380)
No disrespect to Carter who is a very good player but I think Getzlaf is going to open some eyes at the Olympics. He's a pretty rare combination of size, stickhandling and passing and really doesn't get the respect from the rest of the league he deserves IMO.

Couldn't agree more.

Honolulu_Blue 02-15-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhlloy (Post 2224380)

After last year's playoffs, there is nobody in Detroit who doesn't appropriately respect Getzlaf, trust me. And that most certainly goes for Babcock. If Getzlaf's ankle is up to it, I would look for Babcock to give Getzlaf a lot of ice time.

Logan 02-16-2010 08:25 AM

'Proposal' at Sunday's New York Rangers' win is exposed as fake

sterlingice 02-16-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 2225226)

Seriously? The team thought this was a good idea? I mean, I was guessing from the headline that maybe it was 2 friends who wanted some internet fake fame. But the team?

SI

Logan 02-16-2010 08:39 AM

Apparently they're taking "follow what the NBA does" to another level.

Dr. Sak 02-16-2010 08:42 AM

Interesting comments by Gonchar today. He was asked by a local reporter if every thing was okay between him and Ovechkin after the knee on knee in last year's playoffs.

Gonchar's only response was a shrug of the shoulders.

Suburban Rhythm 02-16-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2225239)
Interesting comments by Gonchar today. He was asked by a local reporter if every thing was okay between him and Ovechkin after the knee on knee in last year's playoffs.

Gonchar's only response was a shrug of the shoulders.

Better answer would have been "if he dies, he dies" with a thick Russian accent.

DeToxRox 02-22-2010 05:28 PM

Great news for the future of a new Wings arena today as Tom Wilson, former president of the Palace Entertainment (within the Pistons) is being hired to work directly under Mike Illitch.

Dr. Sak 02-24-2010 07:35 AM

» Hillary Duff Teaches All Girls How To Handle Getting Engaged Boston.BarstoolSports.com

Logan 02-24-2010 01:36 PM

Fantastic.

MikeVic 02-24-2010 01:59 PM

That made my day thank you.

Suburban Rhythm 02-25-2010 05:59 PM

Got a pretty good story from a kid I work with.

He played at Robert Morris locally, interned with us 2 years ago, hired out of school this past June.

His brother is a few years younger, a junior at Duquense.

I guess his brother and a few friends have a place off campus (for the locals reading, South Side). The area is known for having tons of bars, but back in the day was where a good majority of the families of steelworkers live. So now, it's mostly older people, and then the younger crowd, like these college kids.

A few weeks back when Pittsburgh got about 2 feet of snow, his brother and friends decided they'd get a little drunk, go out get some sleds, and go sledridding on the hilly streets of the South Side.

Turns out, they meet a guy, not too much older than them, who lived in the same general area. He joined them sledridding, then bought them a keg.

That man--

Maple Leafs 02-25-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2231642)
Turns out, they meet a guy, not too much older than them, who lived in the same general area. He joined them sledridding, then bought them a keg.

Was the sledding going really poorly for them until he turned it all around by getting the shit beat out of him?

Suburban Rhythm 02-28-2010 08:07 PM

OK, Olympics are done...and about 66 hours until the trade deadline.

Who are definitely sellers? Using the limit of within 6 points of a playoff spot right now:

Panthers, Isles, Canes and Leafs in the East. Jackets and Oilers in the West.

Pens in a perfect world grab a 2nd line winger to play with Malkin and a physical dman.

I don't see them getting Ray Whitney, unless he specifically says he'll only waive his NTC to go to Pittsburgh. Otherwise, they'll get outbid. Next in queue is probably Ponikarovsky. If he can be had for a mid-level prospect and a middle round pick, he makes sense. Another option might be Raffi Torres from Columbus. Not the goal scorer Ponikarovsky is, but might be able to create room for Malkin (think Ryan Malone 2 seasons ago).

Defenseman, if they look for a big crease clearing guy, Andy Sutton from the Isles, Andrew Alberts from the Canes or one of the 8 guys who fit that role in Toronto. Skating D, one of the guys in Florida, Seidenberg or Leopold. Or, as a package deal with Torres, Milan Jurcina...although I'd love to see Jan Hejda here.

Honolulu_Blue 03-01-2010 09:03 AM

So it begins...

Florida sends Jordan Leopold (D) to Pittsburgh for a second round pick in 2010.

Dr. Sak 03-01-2010 12:44 PM

Blues have traded Hannu Toivonen and Danny Richmond to Chicago in exchange for Joe Fallon and Darryl Boyle

Galaxy 03-01-2010 01:55 PM

I love how the Sabres have been using a college goalie ( Andrew Loewen) for its practices since they started last Thursday with Miller gone.

Suburban Rhythm 03-01-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxy (Post 2234056)
I love how the Sabres have been using a college goalie ( Andrew Loewen) for its practices since they started last Thursday with Miller gone.

Penguins call your college kid and raise you one...

Penguins Video Coordinator Fills in at Goalie - Pittsburgh Penguins - Features

Travis 03-01-2010 04:13 PM

Apparently (re: unconfirmed at this point) Denis Grebeshkov has been traded from the Oilers to the Predators for a 2010 2nd rounder.

Now that only leaves Moreau, Pisani, Comrie, Nilsson, O'Sullivan, Staios and Visnovsky to be moved prior to the deadline. I'd say Horcoff too, but that's a few stages past a pipe dream even unfortunately.

JonInMiddleGA 03-01-2010 04:16 PM

Hopefully some contender will take a flyer on Slava Kozlov, who asked Atlanta for a trade last week.

He's been nothing but a solid citizen for the Thrashers & I'd like to see him go somewhere and have a nice finish.

Suburban Rhythm 03-01-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm (Post 2233593)
OK, Olympics are done...and about 66 hours until the trade deadline.

Who are definitely sellers? Using the limit of within 6 points of a playoff spot right now:

Panthers, Isles, Canes and Leafs in the East. Jackets and Oilers in the West.

Pens in a perfect world grab a 2nd line winger to play with Malkin and a physical dman.

I don't see them getting Ray Whitney, unless he specifically says he'll only waive his NTC to go to Pittsburgh. Otherwise, they'll get outbid. Next in queue is probably Ponikarovsky. If he can be had for a mid-level prospect and a middle round pick, he makes sense. Another option might be Raffi Torres from Columbus. Not the goal scorer Ponikarovsky is, but might be able to create room for Malkin (think Ryan Malone 2 seasons ago).

Defenseman, if they look for a big crease clearing guy, Andy Sutton from the Isles, Andrew Alberts from the Canes or one of the 8 guys who fit that role in Toronto. Skating D, one of the guys in Florida, Seidenberg or Leopold. Or, as a package deal with Torres, Milan Jurcina...although I'd love to see Jan Hejda here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue (Post 2233815)
So it begins...

Florida sends Jordan Leopold (D) to Pittsburgh for a second round pick in 2010.

I am pretty good at this...I am wasting my talents here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis (Post 2234176)
Apparently (re: unconfirmed at this point) Denis Grebeshkov has been traded from the Oilers to the Predators for a 2010 2nd rounder.

Now that only leaves Moreau, Pisani, Comrie, Nilsson, O'Sullivan, Staios and Visnovsky to be moved prior to the deadline. I'd say Horcoff too, but that's a few stages past a pipe dream even unfortunately.

Seeing this as confirmed now. And must mean this Hamhuis to Philly stuff has some legs.

Not sure I fully understand it though, as Nashvilles is a team that is pretty deep at D with guys in the minors ready to be recalled.

Dr. Sak 03-02-2010 10:31 AM

Thrashers signed Chris Chelios.

There goes the end of a streak that saw Chelios only playing for original 6 teams

Honolulu_Blue 03-02-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Sak (Post 2234763)
Thrashers signed Chris Chelios.

There goes the end of a streak that saw Chelios only playing for original 6 teams

Good to see Cheli back in the NHL.